Author Topic: For the TEAM Poker debate...  (Read 9807 times)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
For the TEAM Poker debate...
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »

VBlue

• Silver Member
    • Northern Poker Stars
Re: For the TEAM Poker debate...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
It"s a good point, but in practice it has some challeneges.

1) Some players may only play one or two games per season and asking them to play soley for the objective of "the team" and hence possibly miss out on turning $10 into $150+ may not in practice motivate that particular player to pass up a spot to make some cash.  We are talking small takes poker and plenty would welcome a boost to their bankrolls over the team objective.

2) There is no guarantee that by "soft-playing" that this will have a better result than playing your own game and going all out for the win as an individual.  If you do take an opponent out of the game, at leasdt the chips stay within the team and may propel that player to a higher finish and more points overall than two dwindling stacks scraping lower scoring finishes.  I have never given team instructions and we have gone on to some leg wins and some good overall scores - we have probably been more let down by a few legs where our numbers were down, or through tournament variance as much as anything else.

3) Not all players on a team may be aware of who is in their team, or even be contactable to discuss any allowed team tactics.  Therefore, they will be to some extnes a rogue player playing for their own highest finishing postion.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
Team poker as a concept is ridiculous but can be fun
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 13:40:38 PM »

I think that this sums it up quite nicely.

Any team poker event should get a warning label slapped on it.

"This event may contain traces of soft play"

If you think you may have an intolerance to soft play, then perhaps it"s best not to join in.  They are fun events in the most part, and should be taken that way.  If taken too seriously, issues can arise when you get situations that differ to those you would expect in any individual poker event.

Great to have some different formats and structures to play though.

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 13:30:23 PM »
This form of poker, for me, is totally different to any other.
Last night on the Division One Final Table, we had Ant, Steve and myself in seats 1,2 and 3 with 3 Luton guys in seats 4,5 and 6 when 6-handed.
 This made for great team play, as Ant could happily raise into me and Steve, Steve could pass if folded to him and I could shove into 2 Luton players. The same applied to Luton and I am sure that they approached it in the same manner as we did..i.e. don"t knock your team-mates out unless you have an absolute monster. 
 For me, this is what makes the Online League unique and long may it continue. I believe that this season APAT has nailed the scoring system down perfectly and with 3 teams due to be promoted who will all be chomping at the bit to take down the 4-time Champions (2 x Walsall, 2 x West Midlands  ;D) it should make for some great late Sunday nights.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 13:55:23 PM »
Was pretty wierd when it folded to Ant in the SB who shoved for less than 1.5x on my BB and i had to fold.  Bit annoying earlier on though when i was the shortstack and he was chip leader and he shoved from SB on my BB!

Certainly makes for some abnormal situations!!!

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 15:59:43 PM »
I think soft play n mild collusion should be encouraged in a team game..... not to the point your telling each other what you have or things like that but its a team game after all, in any team game you all work for each other so whats the difference? No point calling it a team game if you cant play as a team. IMO....... But hey ho.... rules are rules so you make do. ;)
You can only play pocket jacks 3 ways, all of which are wrong.

It's only a gambling problem if you are losing :D

Follow me on twitter @pbsef

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 17:00:49 PM »

Any team poker event should get a warning label slapped on it.

"This event may contain traces of soft play"

:D Absolutely agree with George and Leigh, it just adds another dynamic to the game.
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Ant1966

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 23:32:59 PM »

Bit annoying earlier on though when i was the shortstack and he was chip leader and he shoved from SB on my BB!

I don"t recall Paul H being annoyed when i shoved his BB with AA.

FYI,I wasn"t chip leader,far from it (11k at 200/400) and you had 11bb"s so not so short and holding AQ?

Did you a favour imo,how can you find this annoying? More annoying for the people who could have knocked you out and didn"t for the sake of the team,only to be less rewarded individually on the night themselves,surely?
"That's when you know your'e running bad,when Ant one outers you on the river". Brendan Byrne-Dublin 2010.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »

Bit annoying earlier on though when i was the shortstack and he was chip leader and he shoved from SB on my BB!

FYI,I wasn"t chip leader,far from it (11k at 200/400) and you had 11bb"s so not so short and holding AQ?

Did you a favour imo,how can you find this annoying? More annoying for the people who could have knocked you out and didn"t for the sake of the team,only to be less rewarded individually on the night themselves,surely?

Think you missed my point Ant, which was that in this team game, there are times when it is correct to fold the good hand if it benefits the short stacked team mate. When you shoved blind on blind when I was shortstacked, I only have 83o so clearly was never calling - a walk would have been massive for me at that point. Conversely, when you were short and I was deep, your shoves were always allowed through to ensure you gained some chips.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:25 AM »

Think you missed my point Ant, which was that in this team game, there are times when it is correct to fold the good hand if it benefits the short stacked team mate. When you shoved blind on blind when I was shortstacked, I only have 83o so clearly was never calling - a walk would have been massive for me at that point. Conversely, when you were short and I was deep, your shoves were always allowed through to ensure you gained some chips.

Discord in the ranks! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:47 AM »

Discord in the ranks! ;)

Not at all - just debate

Ant1966

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 23:04:16 PM »

a walk would have been massive for me.

Nope,didn"t miss the point.

There is also nothing "correct" in a team game with individual cash prizes and individual added seats,as George says above "team poker as a concept is ridiculous".If you look at some of the threads regarding our overall team ethic its to raise/shove when we have big hands,don"t think you will find too many people within team disagreeing with that.You were short most of the f/t,Brian and I nursed you when required and i especially,folded umpteen sb"s on your bb and folded umpteen buttons because Brian was in the BB all wrong but right for the team.Not to mention the times when you shoved and i should have called with big hands in my BB.My commitment to the team play shouldn"t be questioned thanks,others,whilst the f/t was in progress did however.
"That's when you know your'e running bad,when Ant one outers you on the river". Brendan Byrne-Dublin 2010.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 23:28:43 PM »

Ant could happily raise into me and Steve, Steve could pass if folded to him

it folded to Ant in the SB who shoved for less than 1.5x on my BB and i had to fold.

Brian and I nursed you when required and i especially,folded umpteen sb"s on your bb and folded umpteen buttons because Brian was in the BB

Not to mention the times when you shoved and i should have called with big hands in my BB.

the people who could have knocked you out and didn"t for the sake of the team,only to be less rewarded individually on the night themselves

Conversely, when you were short and I was deep, your shoves were always allowed through to ensure you gained some chips.

As there is evidence of soft play by West Midlands, they should be DQ"d from the league. Luton & Solent to play off for the title.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »

Ant could happily raise into me and Steve, Steve could pass if folded to him

it folded to Ant in the SB who shoved for less than 1.5x on my BB and i had to fold.

Brian and I nursed you when required and i especially,folded umpteen sb"s on your bb and folded umpteen buttons because Brian was in the BB

Not to mention the times when you shoved and i should have called with big hands in my BB.

the people who could have knocked you out and didn"t for the sake of the team,only to be less rewarded individually on the night themselves

Conversely, when you were short and I was deep, your shoves were always allowed through to ensure you gained some chips.

As there is evidence of soft play by West Midlands, they should be DQ"d from the league. Luton & Solent to play off for the title.

Epic quote cutting!
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013