Author Topic: Playing AJ in two spots  (Read 5823 times)

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Playing AJ in two spots
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »

i will give you my thoughts on thursday Brian, i think about poker far better after a full day on the lash :)

I bet Brian is awash with anticipation of that!

Hand 1 -  I might be inclined to bet something like 1850 on the flop and plan to shove a non-diamond turn if called. Read dependent if he shoves over your bet on the flop, but if you know he"s got the flush draw rather than a set then you"re happy to get it in as 60/40 fave. 4000 chips is still sort of enough to play on if you find a fold after a flop bet here.

Hand 2 - AJo on the button? Raise call unless opp is uber tight. ie, I"d fold to your shove and snap call Stu"s.
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

Drewski

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 17:13:06 PM »
Hi, first post.

AJ with your stack UTG = fold. You have an M of 8.8 which means you should really be playing super tight. Either that or shove to steal the blinds, which it looks like you would have in this spot. Personally AJ UTG is muck.

The second play seems marginal with a risky but ultimately good call. Id say that before making your bet consider what you are going to do if reraised/shoved. As other posters have said it depends on other information. Was he likely to re-steal?

Last thing I would say is stop looking at the lobby. You will play much better and more natural poker if you ignore it. Play to win and you will get a lot more return than playing to ladder so to speak.

Good luck

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 18:41:45 PM »

Hi, first post.

AJ with your stack UTG = fold. You have an M of 8.8 which means you should really be playing super tight. Either that or shove to steal the blinds, which it looks like you would have in this spot. Personally AJ UTG is muck.

The second play seems marginal with a risky but ultimately good call. Id say that before making your bet consider what you are going to do if reraised/shoved. As other posters have said it depends on other information. Was he likely to re-steal?

Last thing I would say is stop looking at the lobby. You will play much better and more natural poker if you ignore it. Play to win and you will get a lot more return than playing to ladder so to speak.

Good luck

Agree, normally this is a fold for me every time utg, but it looked like the nuts as it was the best I had seen for 2 levels, frustration had set in so I had decided  i was going for it, in the end was a slight favourite both pre and post flop bit it wasn"t to be.

As for the lobby again agree with you here, I am not really bothered about my position I tend to just use how many big blinds I have to determine the way I am playing, with stars games being so top heavy in payouts not really bothered about min cashing, as long as I am playing games I can afford, a min cash is not what I want, I like to keep an eye on the bubble to try and get a few chips from those who have tightened up, last few mtts I have gone out close to the cash trying to get the double up.

I do use Facebook to show positions late on in mtts,the odd time I get to a ft get a couple of people on the rail for a bit of support, after all,I play for fun and profit not for a living, thanks for the input Gl to you.