Author Topic: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?  (Read 73706 times)

Hammerite

• Gold Member
Re: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2012, 14:34:27 PM »
How about some re-branding teams to be known as "a bit north of carlisle & berwick"  "a bit west of shrewsbury & bristol" and  "a bit more west than the team already west of shrewsbury & bristol" that should sort it, its all in the name.
S2 Irish OL Gold, WCOLAP Main Gold
S4 UK Silver, Scots Silver
S5 WCOLAP Omaha Bronze
S6 WCOLAP Omaha 2nd, WCOLAP Omaha H/L 3rd
S7 English OL Omaha 3rd, Irish Bronze
S8 Irish OL Silver, WCOAP Stud Silver, WCOAP Horse Gold
S9 WCOLAP Bounty k/o 1st
S10 Euro OL Bronze
S12 Scots OL Silver
T: Eng/Apat

ck1888

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2012, 14:35:00 PM »
If you get a vote in the independence referendum which will consist of the following options :

1. Aye
2. Naw
3. Dinny Ken

You should get to play for Scotland.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2012, 14:37:18 PM »

If you can call them by another name instead of Scotland, Ireland and Wales as to try to take away the National pride bit, then would that solve the problem? I.e. could Ireland be classed as "overseas" which would include Europe  

North of Hadrian"s Wall

West of Offa"s Dyke

Other side of the Isle of Man

That help?

Scotland in this instance is a REGION in a REGIONAL league. It"s possibly badly expalined at outset, but people need to think that way

Just trying to help, I know not to bother in future

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2012, 14:40:19 PM »
I cant count ten people moaning,,,play for where u live,,its 10 dollars lol,,,well done des for organising,,,dont spend 2 weeks re organising for 1 or 2 people !!

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2012, 14:40:40 PM »

If you can call them by another name instead of Scotland, Ireland and Wales as to try to take away the National pride bit, then would that solve the problem? I.e. could Ireland be classed as "overseas" which would include Europe  

North of Hadrian"s Wall

West of Offa"s Dyke

That help?

Scotland in this instance is a REGION in a REGIONAL league. It"s possibly badly expalined at outset, but people need to think that way

lol, I think he was being serious Wayne!  Clearly one of the options is renaming the Regions as you"ve suggested and that is something that Rich and I have already discussed seriously.  I don"t think we"ll go that direction though.  Will know more when I"ve had some secondary discussions.  And most importantly, you always talk sense, so don"t stop trying to help :)
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2012, 14:42:06 PM »
I don"t actually think it was badly explained as it was clearly stated they were regional teams.  And we should be keen to retain those identities, as it would have been as easy to call Scotland "Region D" and Yorkshire "Region E", etc while retaining the geographical split.  I"m sure there wouldn"t have been any issues had we named in that way.

Sorry I disagree, I havent played for the last 3 years in the regional leagues, cos I didn"t give a toss about representing Newcastle, Sunderland or Stockton,and I would have had even less feelings for playing for region A, B or C, but the chance to play for Scotland actually ATTRACTED me to play & consider commiting to giving up 15 evenings of my time.

Now i know some say it"s just a $10 game and a bit of fun, and it is, but it"s also giving up 15 evenings to play in the league, it"s not just money.

smasher37

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2012, 14:43:04 PM »

I dont normally get involved in these discussions as they are very heated and i wouldnt want  to offend people ,
but i have to agree with the people who have put on the thread about it being a friendly and positive place to play poker
I have played with APAT for over 3 years now and while i am not a massive user of forum i do try and get involved in live games and online whenever possible.
For me it is all about the banter the laughs yes i understand that money is it at stake.But the name says it all Amatuer poker
we are  not pros(some people obv better than others ) if people do want to take it so seroiusly then maybe they should consider just that turning pro
I do not wish to offend anybody by this post just putting my 2 penneth in there
Im an Englishman (honest got a pasport and everything)who lives in Scotland and i am happy to play for Scotland
however i do unsderstand those people who were born in scotland (or other countries) wanting to represent their own
country. ;D ;D
p.s. I am willing to still captain the team from Micronesia
pps Team of one

Really ? You could have bothered to learn the language.

Sorry for not learning the language
Sorry for being a better poker player than you
Sorry for being able to cash in tournaments when you fail

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2012, 14:47:56 PM »

I don"t actually think it was badly explained as it was clearly stated they were regional teams.  And we should be keen to retain those identities, as it would have been as easy to call Scotland "Region D" and Yorkshire "Region E", etc while retaining the geographical split.  I"m sure there wouldn"t have been any issues had we named in that way.

Trouble is Des, pretty early on in the original thread you said this:

ok gotcha........can u choose which team u are in??.....Im from Brighton but live in Slough so how does that work?

Choose one, once you"ve committed you are then tied to that Region for the season.

I didn"t see any great depth of feeling against this view, and people were already thinking about which region they might choose. Then it changed. Why? Where did the avalanche of feeling come from to make you change it?
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 14:48:27 PM »

I cant count ten people moaning,,,play for where u live,,its 10 dollars lol,,,well done des for organising,,,dont spend 2 weeks re organising for 1 or 2 people !!

You got this @rse about front davey. The reason APAT has decided it has had to apply the rule rigidly is because of 2 people complaining. Now THAT is the tail wagging the dog fella.

As for those people who originally compained, they have still not said why they wanted the rule applied so rigidly and who it was "hurting" applying the rule "softly" in the past. So come on lets hear it, why do these guys want to restrict what teams we play for???

AVFC.WILSON

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2012, 14:51:17 PM »

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2012, 14:51:40 PM »

Sorry I disagree, I havent played for the last 3 years in the regional leagues, cos I didn"t give a toss about representing Newcastle, Sunderland or Stockton,and I would have had even less feelings for playing for region A, B or C, but the chance to play for Scotland actually ATTRACTED me to play & consider commiting to giving up 15 evenings of my time.

Now i know some say it"s just a $10 game and a bit of fun, and it is, but it"s also giving up 15 evenings to play in the league, it"s not just money.

Perhaps you wouldn"t have played Gordon, but I do not believe these issues would have arisen had we named the Regions in a different way.  That said, I think the passion is great and am not suggesting we change the way the Regions are named; although we will be treating the Regions as groupings of people, not countries versus counties.  If you look at the population breakdown, Scotland is around the sixth largest Region in this league.

Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2012, 14:51:48 PM »

North of Hadrian"s Wall

West of Offa"s Dyke

That help?

Reminder to self, must add smilies in future

Looking forward to next week an awful lot, I must say. (In brackets for the hard of comprehension: Not)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2012, 14:52:31 PM »
Surely this rule was thought up to balance the teams, as this was a constant point brought up in discussions, re - team sizes and fairness?

This is just broadening the borders of the teams you can play for and changing the names of said regions. This is NOT a scottish national team. There will be people not scottish playing for it. I fail to see the cafuffell.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2012, 14:53:19 PM »

Trouble is Des, pretty early on in the original thread you said this:

ok gotcha........can u choose which team u are in??.....Im from Brighton but live in Slough so how does that work?

Choose one, once you"ve committed you are then tied to that Region for the season.

I didn"t see any great depth of feeling against this view, and people were already thinking about which region they might choose. Then it changed. Why? Where did the avalanche of feeling come from to make you change it?

A wee search of MintTrav"s latest posts might help you out, since he seems to be the main complainer.  ::)

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2012, 14:56:31 PM »
Play for where u live,,the only rule,,simples,,,and for the record,i hate everyone where i live and anywhere near !!! lol