Author Topic: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?  (Read 73698 times)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »

Of course there should be choice if no choice then where you"re originally from should be the case IMO!?? What if 2 games in you move from manchester to London, does that mean you switch teams?

Once you commit to a Region at the start of a season, no matter where you might move to during the season, you will be eligible to play for that Region.

But you"re now being forced to commit to a certain region? You said yesterday that people could choose a team outwith the region they live if it was justified? Is this still the case?

Paul - are you just deliberately being awkward?  I hope I"ve been very clear in what I posted this morning, to make up for not being clear yesterday.  The harder implementation of this rule is due to concerns shown by several members yesterday.  Ultimately it"s APAT's role to ensure the playing field is as fair and level as possible, to ensure our events are not called into disrepute.  I feel the position is clear now.  The rule is as per the opening post on this thread. 

Regards,

Des.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
Des... where do our non UK based players fall? I signed up an Estonian or two for Stockton although they hardly played when they discovered that playing for Stockton wasnt actually that great  :D.. thinking more for Achim and co who were Luton previously as well?
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »

Des... where do our non UK based players fall? I signed up an Estonian or two for Stockton although they hardly played when they discovered that playing for Stockton wasnt actually that great  :D.. thinking more for Achim and co who were Luton previously as well?

I had a discussion with Rich Baker about this last night Phil.  Rich is talking to Bruno and some of the other Portugeuse players about participating this year.  In addition we have Achim who has been extremely loyal to APAT also.  I will be talking to Achim today to see whether he will Captain a European Region in the League.  Will let you all know how that goes.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:43 AM »

Phil they obviously haven"t thought this through. Just heard a couple of the louder apat members mouthing off and made a decision based on that. In doing so they have managed to alienate a whole swathe of players, to appease a couple of our louder members.  ::)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »

Phil they obviously haven"t thought this through. Just heard a couple of the louder apat members mouthing off and made a decision based on that. In doing so they have managed to alienate a whole swathe of players, to appease a couple of our louder members.  ::)

Of course you are entitled to a viewpoint but please be VERY careful about the tone you are taking here.

Please feel free to take it offline with Des who, I am sure, would be happy to alleviate your concerns.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Hammerite

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »
Wtf, feel so sorry for you Des, within 24 hours of this long awaited announcement you get all this, come on people give the guy a break, he can"t please everyone. Euro team great idea, will this include Greece or not if they bail out. ;)
S2 Irish OL Gold, WCOLAP Main Gold
S4 UK Silver, Scots Silver
S5 WCOLAP Omaha Bronze
S6 WCOLAP Omaha 2nd, WCOLAP Omaha H/L 3rd
S7 English OL Omaha 3rd, Irish Bronze
S8 Irish OL Silver, WCOAP Stud Silver, WCOAP Horse Gold
S9 WCOLAP Bounty k/o 1st
S10 Euro OL Bronze
S12 Scots OL Silver
T: Eng/Apat

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »

I hope you"re going to be keeping your top on this season...wasn"t pretty  :D

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
I appreciate why you have made this ruling Des but calling Scotland (or Ireland or Wales) a "region" or the team a "regional team" is not doing it for me.

Whilst this may be the official title of the team all the players will call it APAT Team Scotland. The facebook group had 53 members within 2 hours of being set up last night and currently has 61. There is no question from anybody about Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dundee etc. they are all instantly signed up for Scotland. Take a look at the replys in the sign up threads, I haven"t counted, but Scotland is building a strong team.

I am also concerned that not playing online for Scotland reduces my (or other Scots in the same position) chances of being picking to play for, or captain, Scotland in any International events.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »

A Regional map might be a good idea to help clarify further and maybe even up the catchment areas slighlty more.

Players can only register for the Region within which they currently live.

Des.

Des...do you have something available or perhaps you could PM me with a guide and I could knock something up?

Paulie

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »

Of course you are entitled to a viewpoint but please be VERY careful about the tone you are taking here.

Please feel free to take it offline with Des who, I am sure, would be happy to alleviate your concerns.

My tone is fine, yours on the other hand sounds somewhat threatening.  ::)

Moderate me and ban me if you must PaulieD, but I am only calling it as it is being viewed by many from the other thread, where one or two people voiced an opinion and there APPEARS to have been a knee jerked reaction. Why not just ask your members? It isn"t hard, it isn"t complicated, that is one of the functions of the forum after all.

I can"t see how taking this offline will help alleviate my concerns, we ex-pat Scots/Welsh/Irish can either play for our country or we cannot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:11:25 PM by GiMac »

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »

Of course there should be choice if no choice then where you"re originally from should be the case IMO!?? What if 2 games in you move from manchester to London, does that mean you switch teams?

Once you commit to a Region at the start of a season, no matter where you might move to during the season, you will be eligible to play for that Region.

But you"re now being forced to commit to a certain region? You said yesterday that people could choose a team outwith the region they live if it was justified? Is this still the case?

Paul - are you just deliberately being awkward?  I hope I"ve been very clear in what I posted this morning, to make up for not being clear yesterday.  The harder implementation of this rule is due to concerns shown by several members yesterday.  Ultimately it"s APAT's role to ensure the playing field is as fair and level as possible, to ensure our events are not called into disrepute.  I feel the position is clear now.  The rule is as per the opening post on this thread. 

Regards,

Des.

I"m not being awkward at all des (or at least no meaning to be), I just feel that because a few people have moaned the rest of the players are now forced to play for the team they don"t really want to play for. i.e. scots, welsh or irish living in london, manchester or wherever can"t represent their home team. I appreciate what you"re trying to do in terms of regional fairness but surely theres leeway for these sort of grey areas?

As always I"ll accept final decisions but these must be made on all opinions and not just a few folk complaining IMO
You can only play pocket jacks 3 ways, all of which are wrong.

It's only a gambling problem if you are losing :D

Follow me on twitter @pbsef

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »

Moderate me and ban me if you must PaulieD, but I am only calling it as it is being viewed by many from the other thread, where one or two people voiced an opinion and there APPEARS to have been a knee jerked reaction. Why not just ask your members? It isn"t hard, it isn"t complicated, that is one of the functions of the forum after all.

Enough Gordon...it wasn"t a knee jerk reaction.  The rule should have been clear from the start and it wasn"t.  Now let"s all remember one thing, APAT was never about "me or I" it was always about the community and membership as a whole.  This is the right decision and I"d appreciate if we can all get our welly out of the mud and move on.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »

Enough Gordon...it wasn"t a knee jerk reaction.  The rule should have been clear from the start and it wasn"t.  Now let"s all remember one thing, APAT was never about "me or I" it was always about the community and membership as a whole.  This is the right decision and I"d appreciate if we can all get our welly out of the mud and move on.

Thanks Des...I just wrote and deleted a reply.

I must be learning. ::)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »

I appreciate why you have made this ruling Des but calling Scotland (or Ireland or Wales) a "region" or the team a "regional team" is not doing it for me.

Whilst this may be the official title of the team all the players will call it APAT Team Scotland. The facebook group had 53 members within 2 hours of being set up last night and currently has 61. There is no question from anybody about Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dundee etc. they are all instantly signed up for Scotland. Take a look at the replys in the sign up threads, I haven"t counted, but Scotland is building a strong team.

I am also concerned that not playing online for Scotland reduces my (or other Scots in the same position) chances of being picking to play for, or captain, Scotland in any International events.

That is not the case.  I can"t recall too many International team selections being made on performances in the National Online Leauge.  That said, with this league if you finish as the highest individual Scot you will be selected for the International squad.  That"s guaranteed.  You don"t need to play for the Scottish Region to achieve that.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
I hope you"re going to be keeping your top on this season...wasn"t pretty  :D

Wont be a problem fella, so don"t worry.