Author Topic: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?  (Read 73673 times)

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
Re: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2012, 15:00:22 PM »
At the risk of becoming boring, I"d just like to make this point.

The original comments about ex Luton players all playing for London & HC were bourn out of trying to keep the team spirit alive, that Waz has spent 3 years cultivating. Waz (and he won"t thank me for this) is absolutley gutted that we will be playing for different teams this season, but in the truest of APAT spirits has accepted the fact that he must now play for East England. The insensitive comments by the ex Solent captain, given that they were made within a few hours of the announcment, simply fuelled the fire and got the response they were no doubt designed to get.

The vast majority of ex Luton players are very disappointed about the decision but we all have accepted it. It should also be pointed out here, that most other "ex teams", Liverpool, WM, Solent etc... will still be playing with the same teammates in the new teams, but we will not, and thats where the dissappointment stems from.

On the Scottish theme.

I love the Scottish passion. It is like no other. It is what makes England v Scotland so special.

I am bulldoggian in my support for all things English where there is a team involved, particularly v Scotland. It"s because we care and they care. Long may that continue.
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2012, 15:00:39 PM »

This is just broadening the borders of the teams you can play for and changing the names of said regions. This is NOT a scottish national team. There will be people not scottish playing for it. I fail to see the cafuffell.

Well said...Have you been NOT drinking.

Oh...and it"s "kerfuffle".

not yet... thought i would post now rather than my usual nonsense later when hammered :)

i had about 25 goes at spelling it, just stuck with that one. but many thanks for that, learn something new every day!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2012, 15:02:51 PM »
regardless of calling it a region or a country it"s still scotland..... for instance i"m pretty sure scouse wouldn"t want to play for manchester if it was that way round. (just as an example)

And lets  not forget, it aint just Scotland, it"s Wales and Ireland players also.
You can only play pocket jacks 3 ways, all of which are wrong.

It's only a gambling problem if you are losing :D

Follow me on twitter @pbsef

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2012, 15:04:07 PM »

On the Scottish theme.

I love the Scottish passion. It is like no other. It is what makes England v Scotland so special.

I am bulldoggian in my support for all things English where there is a team involved, particularly v Scotland. It"s because we care and they care. Long may that continue.

Let"s remember that this isn"t just a Scottish thing, but also a Welsh and Irish one. Although I have to agree with your sentiments.  ;D

p.s. it is quite plainly idiotic to make waz, ex luton captain, leave all his team mates and go and play for a team he has no affiliation with and leave the team mates he has played with & as you say has spent 3yrs building team spirit with etc.

p.p.s. We had that team spirit within 15 minutes of our group being opened up on facebook. ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 15:07:14 PM by GiMac »

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2012, 15:04:21 PM »

At the risk of becoming boring, I"d just like to make this point.

The original comments about ex Luton players all playing for London & HC were bourn out of trying to keep the team spirit alive, that Waz has spent 3 years cultivating. Waz (and he won"t thank me for this) is absolutley gutted that we will be playing for different teams this season, but in the truest of APAT spirits has accepted the fact that he must now play for East England. The insensitive comments by the ex Solent captain, given that they were made within a few hours of the announcment, simply fuelled the fire and got the response they were no doubt designed to get.

The vast majority of ex Luton players are very disappointed about the decision but we all have accepted it. It should also be pointed out here, that most other "ex teams", Liverpool, WM, Solent etc... will still be playing with the same teammates in the new teams, but we will not, and thats where the dissappointment stems from.

On the Scottish theme.

I love the Scottish passion. It is like no other. It is what makes England v Scotland work special.

There is a lot of sense in this post.  Luton was perhaps the main reason that APAT were adopting a softer approach on Regional eligibility, but alas several people pulled us up on the approach, probably correctly in my opinion.  
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2012, 15:04:55 PM »

regardless of calling it a region or a country it"s still scotland..... for instance i"m pretty sure scouse wouldn"t want to play for manchester if it was that way round. (just as an example)

And lets  not forget, it aint just Scotland, it"s Wales and Ireland players also.

thats making the assumption they are ALL bothered to the same extent as the few people on here.

I really do think that most of the APAT members, if you did a poll, would click the "couldnt give a sh!t" button tbh.
England C Captain 2012

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2012, 15:05:41 PM »

If you can call them by another name instead of Scotland, Ireland and Wales as to try to take away the National pride bit, then would that solve the problem? I.e. could Ireland be classed as "overseas" which would include Europe  

North of Hadrian"s Wall

West of Offa"s Dyke

Other side of the Isle of Man

That help?

Scotland in this instance is a REGION in a REGIONAL league. It"s possibly badly expalined at outset, but people need to think that way

Just trying to help, I know not to bother in future

Reminder to self, must add smilies in future

Looking forward to next week an awful lot, I must say. (In brackets for the hard of comprehension: Not)

You have never forgiven me for Shrek  :P

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2012, 15:06:37 PM »

If you can call them by another name instead of Scotland, Ireland and Wales as to try to take away the National pride bit, then would that solve the problem? I.e. could Ireland be classed as "overseas" which would include Europe  

North of Hadrian"s Wall

West of Offa"s Dyke

Other side of the Isle of Man

That help?

Scotland in this instance is a REGION in a REGIONAL league. It"s possibly badly expalined at outset, but people need to think that way

Just trying to help, I know not to bother in future

Reminder to self, must add smilies in future

Looking forward to next week an awful lot, I must say. (In brackets for the hard of comprehension: Not)

You have never forgiven me for Shrek  :P

!
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2012, 15:07:43 PM »

thats making the assumption they are ALL bothered to the same extent as the few people on here.

I really do think that most of the APAT members, if you did a poll, would click the "couldnt give a sh!t" button tbh.

They probably would, because it doesn"t effect many players. Which is also why the "soft" rule wasn"t doing any harm IMO.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2012, 15:08:31 PM »

So if you dont give a $hit, why apply the rules so strictly that it upsets those that do give a $hit? That makes no sense at all.  ::) ::) ::)

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2012, 15:09:48 PM »
multi racial britain,,,in the words of JC,,,love thy neighbour,,play for where u live is what he meant  lol !!!!

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2012, 15:11:25 PM »
...............but alas several people pulled us up on the approach, probably correctly in my opinion. 

Can these people explain why they want the rules applied so rigidly?

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2012, 15:12:00 PM »

They probably would, because it doesn"t effect many players. Which is also why the "soft" rule wasn"t doing any harm IMO.

Sorry, that came across as very short and slightly dismissive now i re read it.

I still say that the rules have been put into place to combat the lack of fairness in team sizes last season, This was the point that i saw raised more than any other in regards the online league.

If you start relaxing the rule for people now, its going to end up back exactly where it started. Des and Rich have a duty to uphold the integrity of their tournaments for the majority of people.  This is why, whilst going to really annoy and disappoint some people, the rule should stay in my opinion.
England C Captain 2012

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2012, 15:12:54 PM »
APAT was damned if it did, damned if it didn"t

One consistuency or another was going to be upset if we went for "hard" or "soft" eligibility rules

A shame, but part and parcel of the players" passion for APAT, which is a good thing

I prefer the "soft", which allows friendships and team groups built up over several years to persist in large part. Equally, I understand why a harder stance was taken

Luton is one of the more heterogeneous groups, with a Captain that lived in Peterborough, then one who lived in Berkshire, and players drawn from various areas. as Curlarge points out, not easy for these guys to see the bigger picture but they are prepared to and good on them for that.

ck1888

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2012, 15:14:15 PM »
Personally i don"t want anyone playing under the banner of Scotland who is English or Scottish with an English accent.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"