Author Topic: Match Structure  (Read 95397 times)

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
Re: Match 2 Structure
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2012, 19:42:02 PM »
Super interesting - given numbers are likely to fall 5k/12mins looks like a gimme format to me ... amazing structure ... allowing maximum play ... finish at 1am ...

Brendoni

« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2012, 19:55:31 PM »
Obviously we all know the structure was not as good as week one, but on balance i preferred it simply due to the fact i knew i would not be there till 3AM when i have to be up at 6AM.

Although i think the starting stack being raised back up to 5K would be a good idea. ( i think the clock normally has the biggest impact on finishing time ) the 5K would give people the chance to play more small ball earlier/recover from a bad beat etc etc.

As for the comments such as you won"t run deep every week - the point is when you sit down to play a tournie you must plan to go deep every time, other wise whats the point and if the game doesn"t finish until 3am then you probably won"t play at all... unless ur a degen like myself and can"t resist even with a 6AM rise on monday morning.

But fair play to APAT, still a great tourny and i will definately play on regardless even though the northwest just keep on getting beat after beat, the amount of 2 outers was crazy.

Oh and definately nowhere near a turbo, i still found plenty of play and i late regged after 40 mins.

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2012, 20:07:04 PM »

It didn"t feel that players were taking longer than expected on my table last night.

Just an observation though:

Last week the structure was 5k chips/15 min blinds. A few people complained but most were happy. APAT decided to discuss with the team captains. Understandable, but it is unofficially expected that the team captains rail to the end from what I read. Ergo, these people are slightly biased to the shorter clock, hence the change.

This week the clock was 4k/12m. Lots of people complained and a few are happy, most notably from the European team, team captains and a few who have an early start. Numbers also dropped by approximately 10-15%.

APAT are never going to be able to please everybody - but I have an idea.

Week 1 was 5k/15m
Week 2 was 4k/12m
Week 3 could be 5k/12m
Week 4 could be 4k/15m
Week 5 could be 3k/10m with the other structure proposed (this is assuming that 1. people are still complaining, and 2. APAT are still looking to make everyone happy)

Announce this now so people like Brian Yates (no offence against you personally Brian, but it"s your major point) know exactly what the structure is and what week is what.

Then, after Week 5, put a poll up for EVERYBODY. Not just captains, not just a select few, EVERYBODY. Spam it on the email"s/PM"s and get as many people in as possible to vote. 1 vote per forum account. Results not to be seen until the day before.

The winning structure is the one used for the remaining 10 weeks.

Well us "select few" and "slightly biased people" agreed as far as I can see, on our secretive captains board, to my proposal of 5k/12mins. There was a proposal, and support for 4k/12mins, but Des asked for agreement on 5k/12mins, which most accepted.

"Ergo", I can"t quite see how or why we played a 4k/12min game, as it plainly wasn"t the majority of captains preference.

Thanks for informing us of that Rich - and I hope I haven"t pissed you off as that definitely wasn"t my intention to come across that way.

I just feel that a public poll (which we know APAT can do well through the awards) should be better and fairer than just the captains voting. It doesn"t take long to set up.

I"ve been reading on the blog board and the various regional boards - and I would say the majority of views are that the structure was too fast. This may have been because by the first break (end of late reg, pretty much) BB/Starting Stack ratio was 1:20. Over half the field was gone by the second break - that"s only 1h 50m of play. Yes, the tournament took 5h 45m to complete total, but for those who did not cash, their evening was pretty much over by 10pm.

Again, people see 6hrs total as a tournament and are happy. It is only about 20 people that play longer than 4hrs I would reckon. I would be interested to know how many people made the final 3 tables both weeks, and would be surprised if it was more than 3, if any at all.

I"ve just loaded up my HEM as I finished in 125th place (so in the top 20%) in the first week (5k/15m). My finishing time was 9.57pm.   I assume from this that the money was made before 11pm and that the last 3 tables before midnight.

Tournaments always run slower at the end. The average BB goes up and people always take more time as every hand means more. This affects the few. It just seems that we"re alienating the many for the few! Yeah, I have to get up for work at 6.30am every day, including a Monday. If I get less sleep cos I"ve made the final table - that"s a balance I have to deal with. It"s one of the few bad points about playing the league. If you don"t like it, don"t play.

My viewpoint is that keeping this structure will cost more players than losing players who feel they can"t play because they might make the final table, and as we"re trying to keep numbers up - go back to the 1st week"s structure please.
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2012, 21:12:23 PM »
 Alternating weeks between deep and shallow is a bit silly. Never gonna find anything that suits everyone, if it isnt broke then dont fix it, and for me personally it wasnt broke on week 1.

May aswell give up and keep as is. If im home ill play, if not then what ever.

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2012, 21:32:32 PM »

One minor gripe, and by all means tell me this is not unusual

but it feels more turbo because many take so long to make action

When you have people timebanking in Levels 1-3 it was  quite regularly that you"d get no more than 1-1.5 orbits per level

Timebanking I assume is people multi-tabling, making a cuppa etc

One hand was 5 bet pre-flop. Each raise went to timebank.

it played like molasses on my table

Act quicker=more hands=more opportunities

Can we fiddle with the timers Richard? I personally don"t think there"s that many situations where you need more than 15 seconds to act. When required I agree a timebank is useful but fully agree there was more used than needed. Some may use their timer to try tilt people, which is fair enough, but make it shorter and it should mean more hands per level for everyone.
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2012, 21:49:16 PM »
lol at the turbo references.

I really can"t see the problem.

Needs to finish at 1am?

5k/12m. Simple isn"t it?

All this verbiage. Hurts my brain.

ps. I won"t be playing Sunday as its my birthday. Good luck everyone. I"ll be smashed and maybe briefly think of you all x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2012, 21:55:00 PM »

One minor gripe, and by all means tell me this is not unusual

but it feels more turbo because many take so long to make action

When you have people timebanking in Levels 1-3 it was  quite regularly that you"d get no more than 1-1.5 orbits per level

Timebanking I assume is people multi-tabling, making a cuppa etc

One hand was 5 bet pre-flop. Each raise went to timebank.

it played like molasses on my table

Act quicker=more hands=more opportunities

Can we fiddle with the timers Richard? I personally don"t think there"s that many situations where you need more than 15 seconds to act. When required I agree a timebank is useful but fully agree there was more used than needed. Some may use their timer to try tilt people, which is fair enough, but make it shorter and it should mean more hands per level for everyone.

+1

sitting and waiting for someone to play and then they fold after 60 seconds
very frustrating

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2012, 22:13:35 PM »

Needs to finish at 1am?

5k/12m. Simple isn"t it?

ps. I won"t be playing Sunday as its my birthday. Good luck everyone. I"ll be smashed and maybe briefly think of you all x

Blatant Birthday Brag obv., fishing for good wishes and presents, (preferably both) and can"t believe you didn"t post your address to ensure cards arrive on time. ;) ;) ;)

p.s. Happy Birthday {{{{{buddy}}}}}, card in post xx :-* :-*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 22:38:27 PM by Curlarge »
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

gerry5421

• Gold Member
    • Troon PC Tech
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2012, 22:17:45 PM »

Sigh ,are we going to have weekly moan thread , as since this league began thats all I seem to read.

Structure in my not so expert opinion is fine , was happy enough with week 1 as I had a feeeling numbers would drop off, and the final table when formed was very even and yes i was railing till 3am , but also fine with week 2.

But now we are complaining about the timebank- what ??????

Guys I think we need to let this run a few weeks before demanding a re-think at least give it a chance to settle.

But I can seem that no matter what happens APAT can"t please everyone , an impossible task but thats life.

Guys its time to move on lets play this legue in the APAT spirit and see how it settles

Oh and come on the Scotland  :P :P
Gerry
Glasgow Club Captain Div 2 Champions 2011
http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=8298.0
APAT Scottish Online Championship 2010 Bronze

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2012, 22:46:17 PM »
Gerry...I believe "Letting it run" shouldv"e applied for the initial structure for longer than 1 week don"t you think?

Also, could we have an official response to Richard"s quote that he was under the impression it would be changing to 5k/12 mins...or have I got that one wrong?
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2012, 23:25:11 PM »

Gerry...I believe "Letting it run" shouldv"e applied for the initial structure for longer than 1 week don"t you think?

Also, could we have an official response to Richard"s quote that he was under the impression it would be changing to 5k/12 mins...or have I got that one wrong?

No, letting it run quickly became a non option when the event was still going on past 3am.

Several opinions were offered by the captains on what the reduced structure should be, but none was agreed by all.  Pokerstars advised 4k and 12m should see the tournament finish by 1am (or 2am for our Eoropean members) and that is why the reduced structure ended up being that.   We can cut the structure a number of ways, but the event should not go on beyond 1am.

Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2012, 17:11:49 PM »

Needs to finish at 1am?

5k/12m. Simple isn"t it?

Happy 50th for Sunday  :-* and perhaps you should play whilst very intoxicated as your game will obviously improve  ;D
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2012, 20:21:45 PM »
OK here"s my 2 cents..... I didn"t like the structure at all on sunday, no room for play with a 4k stack IMO... that said To call it a turbo or to shout for week ones game to be scrapped and replayed is ludicrous. There were complaints about week 1 so they tried something else to keep you all happy, week 2 you didn"t like it so they will probably try something else to keep you all happy.

The constant complaints are getting boring if i"m honest. ::)

Personally i loved the week 1 structure but as it turns out it"s no good for the finish time most want/need, 12 minute blinds I don"t mind too much but has to be a 5k stack IMO..... even worst case scenario 12 min, 5k, 6.30pm start time with hour late reg. would see a decent finish time.
You can only play pocket jacks 3 ways, all of which are wrong.

It's only a gambling problem if you are losing :D

Follow me on twitter @pbsef

shug

• Silver Member
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2012, 20:50:34 PM »
Des

thanks for setting the league up and attracting a sponsor.
thanks for listening to the concerns of some of the APAT members after week one and trying to find a solution to those concerns
unfortunately you are never going to find a structure that makes everyone happy.

I know you are too polite to respond to all the criticism, moaning and sniping that is going on... so let me.....

Lets just play league poker on a Sunday night and enjoy it.

Its a good way to finish the weekend by spending $11
2012 Home International Team Championships Gold Medal Winner... SCOTLAND

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2012, 21:01:29 PM »

Des

thanks for setting the league up and attracting a sponsor.
thanks for listening to the concerns of some of the APAT members after week one and trying to find a solution to those concerns
unfortunately you are never going to find a structure that makes everyone happy.

I know you are too polite to respond to all the criticism, moaning and sniping that is going on... so let me.....

Lets just play league poker on a Sunday night and enjoy it.

Its a good way to finish the weekend by spending $11

Seconded

Geo