Author Topic: Match Structure  (Read 95381 times)

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
Re: Match 2 Structure
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2012, 10:04:12 AM »
There"s always a drop off in league numbers, so no point people arguing that the lower number of entrants is because of the structure. Absolute rubbish.

galo5767 does have a point though I"m not in agreement with the tone of the post - the people that should be asked are the casual players that don"t shout loudest and post on the forum. Find out why those who played in week 1 and/or 2 haven"t played in week 3 - job for the captains?
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »

Thanks Leigh. So more dropped after wk2 than after wk1.    Might that have happened anyway, regardless of structure, or might it be an indication of feeling?

I"m sure there"s a structure out there that will suit most desires - Dave Howard made some good observations in the Match 3 thread last night, looking at the Stars 500 cap structure with 3k/10, but a shallower climb.

Can"t take any credit for the research of the 500 cap, that certainly wasn"t my suggestion! Kudos to the researcher though!

Fully believe the structure we currently have would be acceptable - with a couple of minor tweaks, that"s all!
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »

Thanks Leigh. So more dropped after wk2 than after wk1.    Might that have happened anyway, regardless of structure, or might it be an indication of feeling?

I"m sure there"s a structure out there that will suit most desires - Dave Howard made some good observations in the Match 3 thread last night, looking at the Stars 500 cap structure with 3k/10, but a shallower climb.

Can"t take any credit for the research of the 500 cap, that certainly wasn"t my suggestion! Kudos to the researcher though!

Fully believe the structure we currently have would be acceptable - with a couple of minor tweaks, that"s all!

oops of course I meant Adam Sharples and not Dave Howard   ::)

In advance: Structure is too quick. More levels please.

However, I"m not just here to moan. I have a suggestion.

During the first 2 weeks, the average number of players is 500. APAT have consistently said that they want the league games to last 6hrs (ish). So...Pokerstars run a range of CAP tournaments. I had a look at the only completed 500 cap F/O that I could see in the lobby. It was an $8.80 that started at 10.15am and finished at 16.07pm - which is 5hrs 52m.

The blinds? 3k/10m, but the 72 level structure that Stars has, rather than the 56 level structure that we currently have. See below (We use the one in the middle/right, I propose we use the one on the left)

This seems to have been written specifically for these capped tournaments and seem to be perfect for what we want.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »

Last Seasons Online National League Runners

Week 1 - 287
Week 2 - 230
Week 3 - 204

That"s the kind of drop off I"d expect just from a normal league.

For this league, with the initial numbers I expected there to be about a 100 down from the first week then 50 down to this week.

Anything above that - might - be a sign of dissatisfaction with the structure
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »

Didnt play last night but how many runners were there?

Was it more than 547 or less?

....and it if it was a lot less, how delighted are the sponsors??

Also, if there really were as many happy as there were unhappy with the opening structure, why was it changed at all then???

Which team won ?  Any correlation ?    ;D

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
Re: YES 500!
« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2012, 13:45:17 PM »

Des,

What the hope for Week 1?

Would be good to get some feedback from Stars too, on what they think about the numbers

I believed we would get a record turnout Waz, but not 547 runners.

Perhaps not for PokerStars, but for every other major online operator in the UK, that would be an extremely good result.  For a non operator to be able to produce those numbers, is exceptional.

If its an extremely good result, why on earth would you want to change it

The number dropped off significantly (20%+) after the first week, before the 4k structure had been played..... that"s over 100 people that didn"t come back after week one. Perhaps a sign of people not liking the 3.30am finish?

Actually 17%, it dropped off even more with the current structure (27%) and that"s without allowing for any of those "not liking the 3.30 am finish" coming back for the 1am finish (I"m sure there must have been a few). Perhaps an even bigger sign.

What amazes me is this league is the biggest recruitment tool for APAT (via the teams) yet having got new people interested - especially looking at the Wiki page, "player friendly structures" - their first experience is this, most won"t come back. I know we are taking the structure that Stars suggested but surely that"s a standard structure that can be tweaked in any number of ways.
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2012, 14:52:27 PM »
Ultimately we have to finish at 1am as the league in particular is a community game. With that in mind, my gut feeling is that we should run with 4k / 12m again in week 3 to assess whether last weekend"s version ran off more quickly than normal or not. 

This was from the last post I made on the "finishing time" thread on the captain"s board.

It looks like match 3 ran off even more quickly than match 2, so I will speak to PokerStars again to look at the earlier stages of the tournament. 

For all of those posting sentiments along the lines of "**** structure" and "APAT don"t care", please grow up.  Our players are all we care about.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: YES 500!
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2012, 14:55:24 PM »
I"m merging the "Yes 500" thread with the "Match 2 Structure" thread as many of the themes are similar.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2012, 14:58:00 PM »

Ultimately we have to finish at 1am as the league in particular is a community game. With that in mind, my gut feeling is that we should run with 4k / 12m again in week 3 to assess whether last weekend"s version ran off more quickly than normal or not. 

This was from the last post I made on the "finishing time" thread on the captain"s board.

It looks like match 3 ran off even more quickly than match 2, so I will speak to PokerStars again to look at the earlier stages of the tournament. 

For all of those posting sentiments along the lines of "**** structure" and "APAT don"t care", please grow up.  Our players are all we care about.

Great, a game of fill in the missing letters.

Can I go first ?

Des, is there a letter "c" in the word ?

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2012, 15:00:01 PM »

Great, a game of fill in the missing letters.

Can I go first ?

Des, is there a letter "c" in the word ?

Not in the missing letters, no.   ;)

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2012, 15:14:39 PM »
How about a " S " DES lol

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2012, 15:17:08 PM »

How about a " S " DES lol

There could well be Gary.   :)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2012, 15:45:33 PM »

For all of those posting sentiments along the lines of "**** structure" and "APAT don"t care", please grow up.

Dead right. They should be posting "APAT doesn"t care".
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2012, 15:47:56 PM »

For all of those posting sentiments along the lines of "**** structure" and "APAT don"t care", please grow up.

Dead right. They should be posting "APAT doesn"t care".

::)

Tsk...

RicayBoy

• Silver Member
« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2012, 17:36:29 PM »
I play for fun. APAT wants me to turn up for 15 consecutive weeks and spend USD 165 on the tournament series. To be honest I"d be happy if I got half that back.
What I do want though is a bit of bang for my buck. If I"m in fold or shove mode to any raise after an hour then that"s not my idea of a fun game. I"m not saying I want to be able to nit it up for three hours but I think it"s fair to give the players a decent game. How many players have made more than one final table so far?
Proud Member of Team Luton