Author Topic: Match Structure  (Read 95458 times)

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
Re: Match 2 Structure
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2012, 22:45:00 PM »
Would"ve liked another week of the original structure. But totally understand and support the reasons behind changing - especially for Team Europe.

I can just 3jam earlier :D
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

josharp01

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »

The second point is that part of what makes this league special is the railing and atmosphere created by team mates. This isn"t just about the players who reach the final table. It"s about a whole lot of others who would like to rail their team mates as the final result is being determined. The final table will not get that level of support at 3am but it may at midnight.

Massive +1 for me on this point, as i like to rail my team-mates and genuinely felt bad not railing Matt right until the end.

The new structure gives this aspect a much better chance of adding to the community involvement of the closing stages of the league game

Definitely this...surely it can only enhance the team aspect! :)
2013 WCOAP Razz Champion "Jangle Jangle" :)

Proud Captain of Scotland "A" team-Home Int Champs 2012 :)

Captain of S6 East of England Team :)
APAT UK Online Champion 2011
Proud member of former Team Luton :D
NinjaJoJo on APAT Poker

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
Re: YES 500!
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »

Haha you lot are like a bunch of house wives. Always going to disagree and have the last word. It is just a difference of opinion, like I said. If you tilt by just reading a message then you should maybe take up Volleyball? :))

Good luck at the tables on Sunday. Unless you are not Yorkshire & Humber of course.

Yep, like you said it"s just a difference of opinion and that"s why the APAT forum is the best place to discuss these things. Nobody"s tilting though, and calling people a bunch of housewives isn"t particularly productive. Just accept the fact that we all have our opinions and we"re all entitled to air them. It"s good healthy discussion that should improve our game and understanding, I"d like to think listening to these guys & girls on here (whether I agree or disgree) has added loads to my game and i can"t speak highly enough about most of the members of APAT & this forum.

Good luck also on Sunday Web. FWIW I much prefer the slower deepstack structures and hate turbos so will be interesting to meet you on the table with our different views.
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2012, 13:52:00 PM »

Great poker players have bundles of aggression. Weak poker players have hardly any aggression and rely on the luck of the dealer. ...

I think you"re mixing up "weak" with "passive".

There are plenty of very bad poker players with bundles of aggression.

And some of us are very bad poker players with bundles of passiveness
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

shug

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2012, 14:39:29 PM »
good decision Des
The more players that continue to play the better for the league. i think this decision answers the concerns of some people but still gives a deep structure. a win win situation.
Maybe you could organise an over 50s league with an early start and shorter structure for those of us that need an early bed time.
2012 Home International Team Championships Gold Medal Winner... SCOTLAND

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2012, 14:47:02 PM »
We look forward to seeing you all ahead of match 2 and as always, we will listen to your feedback following that match also - but hope the changes we"ve made will allow an even greater number of players to enjoy the PokerStars.com National Online League.

APAT proves once again why it"s the best tour out there
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2012, 16:43:25 PM »
 If you know your a bad player, then its actually better to be agressive. You give yourself two chances to win pots, either win by bluffing, or by getting there. If your bad passive then you have to just catch cards.

frankieb

• Regional Captain
  • Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2012, 18:59:27 PM »

good decision Des
The more players that continue to play the better for the league. i think this decision answers the concerns of some people but still gives a deep structure. a win win situation.
Maybe you could organise an over 50s league with an early start and shorter structure for those of us that need an early bed time.

Shug,

It has to be over 60s for you lol.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2012, 19:41:36 PM »
"The more players that continue to play the better for the league". (cant do quote boxes sorry)

I agree with this of course. But i dont think too many people would of dropped out if structure stays the same. Its more likely that people will drop out if they dont collect individual points during the 1st few legs, or if their team are doing poor.

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
What is the thinking behind moving from 5000 chips to 4000 chips.

If you assume 500 runners.

Old version : 2,500,000 chips in play
New version : 2,000,000 chips in play

9 player Final Table

Averages chips - 278k vs 222k - say average player will have 20BB at final table point.

So estimated level to reach final table - BB @ c14k or c11k i.e. mid level 24 vs mid level 23 - so having 4000 chips to start might save you 12 minutes to get to the Final Table.

It might take a few more minutes to play out the final table - but again the blinds grow so quickly - only a level to deal with the 25% more chips in play ...

12 minutes great - but can we have our starting stacks back to 5,000 (next week)?

The rationale for having the extra chips at the start is that it delays the part of the tournament where people need to shove in order to double up or die - the more time you have to build your stack to avoid this the better the poker is.

Louis
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:40:42 AM by Honeybadg »

Foggy

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »

9 player Final Table

Averages chips - 278k vs 222k - say average player will have 20BB at final table point.

So estimated level to reach final table - BB @ c14k or c11k i.e. mid level 24 vs mid level 23 - so having 4000 chips to start might save you 12 minutes to get to the Final Table.

It might take a few more minutes to play out the final table - but again the blinds grow so quickly - only a level to deal with the 25% more chips in play ...

12 minutes great - but can we have our starting stacks back to 5,000 (next week)?

The rationale for having the extra chips at the start is that it delays the part of the tournament where people need to shove in order to double up or die - the more time you have to build your stack to avoid this the better the poker is.

Louis

I am in total agreement with this post.

It also allows for looser play during the earlier levels with a proportion of your starting stack, which obviously is lessened by the reduction to 4k

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »

9 player Final Table

Louis

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe we could have tried reducing one or the other to see what effect it had on the finishing time ?

Slicing 20% off the starting stack and also 20% off the clock after only one game seems a bit severe. Just my tuppence worth.
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »

There has been a great deal of discussion on the structure; particularly on the Captains board, following last weekend"s opening match in the National Online League.

As a result APAT and the Captains have agreed to test a slightly reduced structure for match 2. This will consist of 4,000 starting chips and 12 minute blinds - a structure which is still deeper than PokerStars own deep stack structure. These changes should see the final table completing around 12.30am.

We look forward to seeing you all ahead of match 2 and as always, we will listen to your feedback following that match also - but hope the changes we"ve made will allow an even greater number of players to enjoy the PokerStars.com National Online League.

Captains please inform your players of these changes.

Everyone has a valid point but why don"t we w8 and see what happens...........as Des has pointed out, we will look at the feedback after this evening, let"s get behind the guys instead of complaining, just my opinion!
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »

9 player Final Table

Louis

^^^^^^ this +1

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
There is no complaint - just wanted to set down why there is no/little need to alter the starting stack.

APAT have done a tremendous job in setting up this event - structure was brilliant (albeit maybe levels a bit too long to get things finished - given the field size).

L