Author Topic: Match Structure  (Read 95457 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: YES 500!
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »

As much as I appreciate a good tournament, it does not need to go on until 3am as it is a series of tournaments and should cut down variance and good players should come to the top over the series. 12 min blinds & 5k starting stack is about 1.30am finish and is just as good imo.

^^This

For the weekly $11 online league, an 8 hour tournament feels like a bit of overkill.   imo 3k/15 might be more appropriate (same as the Big 55).

Completely agree with this.  For a $11 weekly league, we have got to be looking at a structure that gives 5-6 hours play.  Obviously it"s very difficult to get the balance right when you have an unexpectedly large turnout, but actually, player numbers is the one variable that makes least difference to finish time, when compared to starting stack, length of levels, and level structure.

I think that a 12 minute structure with 4k starting stack would still leave plenty of play , whilst bringing the finishing time into a more manageable position for all those playing on the final table, along with the many team mates that want to rail and support those players from their region. (After all, this is a community league  ;) )

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 14:17:38 PM »

Great poker players have bundles of aggression. Weak poker players have hardly any aggression and rely on the luck of the dealer. ...

I think you"re mixing up "weak" with "passive".

There are plenty of very bad poker players with bundles of aggression.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 14:27:48 PM »
Post aimed at web1. Jon MW got there first.

You are wrong (imo). Im gonna say good players dont have bundles of agression, they have caculated agression. And weak players make to many mistakes (sometimes beign too agressive at the wrong time is a mistake).
Long structure suits better players. Pretty simple to understand. Weak or fishy players should try and gamble more because they cannont play well after the flop, so they have to take margional situations and try to win more flips or 60-40s.
"5 min blinds bring out the best in players". Dont agree with that at all sorry. It just suits the players who are getting the most hands.

Thread may have gone off track slightly, soz for that.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 23:10:26 PM »
 Just re-read your post web1. Im already tilted from the poker tonight and your post is tilting me even more.. lol

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2012, 00:20:38 AM »

sitting there 2 hours running back and forward to the kettle every 5 minutes.    

then running to the bathroom every 10 minutes  :P
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
It"s a fact - a better player will usually beat a weaker player in a deeper slower tournament where the clock and structure have less of an impact.  In a fast or shallow tourney, there is less room for play, and luck plays a bigger part.

Interesting angle to say that a turbo tourney benefits the better player...... it"s just a series of coin flips, and the luckiest player will win.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
Not wishing to get the last word in, but here"s a couple of quotes from web1 on the night of matchday 1.

Struggling 5k chips. Suffered couple bad beats and getting dealt nothing over  8d. Had to recover and dealer not helping matters.

Out. 44 on button raises me and I call with AJ all in 3k. Once again Jokerstars bs flops a 4.

I get the feeling that you rely a bit too much on the dealer being kind to you.  This would backup your theory that weaker players rely on good starting hands, therefore a quicker structure would mean that players see less hands before there is a need to call off your stack with potentially dominated hands like AJ, where at best you are flipping.

The quicker structure will benefit those players who are able to provide controlled aggression and the ability to squeeze and bluff certain positions, but variance will bite you even harder with these strutures.

In a deep stack event, I would take a skilled, experienced, good player over a luckbox fish any day of the week.

And if you were wondering, I am the latter in that choice.

It"s an interesting discussion whichever way you look at it, and life would be boring if everyone thought the same.  And sometimes, there is not a right or wrong answer, just good to discuss.   ;D

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

"In a deep stack event, I would take a skilled, experienced, good player over a luckbox fish any day of the week".

Me too, unless its a guy called Rastafish.

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Match 2 Structure
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2012, 14:33:51 PM »
There has been a great deal of discussion on the structure; particularly on the Captains board, following last weekend"s opening match in the National Online League.

As a result APAT and the Captains have agreed to test a slightly reduced structure for match 2. This will consist of 4,000 starting chips and 12 minute blinds - a structure which is still deeper than PokerStars own deep stack structure. These changes should see the final table completing around 12.30am.

We look forward to seeing you all ahead of match 2 and as always, we will listen to your feedback following that match also - but hope the changes we"ve made will allow an even greater number of players to enjoy the PokerStars.com National Online League.

Captains please inform your players of these changes.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Match 2 Structure
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2012, 15:21:16 PM »
 Nice one guys!   I think 4k/12 will prove to be a much more appropriate structure for this league.

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2012, 16:31:57 PM »
Will go with the majority but personally don,t see the need to change ,
Not many will make final table every week but heh hoo let"s dee how it goes" :-\

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2012, 16:33:44 PM »
was happy with the previous structure, but admittedly was a bit too deep for a $11 team game, so am happy with this change

Me and Mrs S will be anteing up this weekend
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2012, 16:52:00 PM »
Dissapointed.

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2012, 17:14:43 PM »
It"s totally sensible but totally disappointing - although I will remain the champion of the "pure game" - until it is re-instated!?! :o (I think that is the first smiley I have ever used - I don"t really understand this one - I think it means I"ve just seen a snake.)

L

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2012, 17:44:02 PM »
Seems sensible to me. I like a good structure as much as the next man, but being a league comp it needs to be as inclusive as possible to make it work to it"s fullest potential over the league period.

It"s still a good structure in my opinion.
Looking forward to making my first day 2