Author Topic: Cracking AA  (Read 13174 times)

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Cracking AA
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »
Hi, would like peoples views on this hand as played by the villain i won the hand on the river but would like peoples views on both parties play, ty in advance

Background 95 people left 82 paid min cash is insignificant as bought in for $20 min cash is $28.
I have been playing fairly steady and at this stage min raise is standard raise on this table.
Villain stats are 32/28 3bet 18%, he has 3 bet me a few times when he has had button and havent played back as yet.
Questions i would like views on are

1) Are we happy to see flop here with Qs Js ?

2) on the flop we pick up open ender, happy with the flat of the raise or reraising hoping to get it all in

The turn gives us more outs, the villain checks and gives us the free card,(think if i was him here i would bet 3/4 pot or even get the lot in and make me pay for the
draw).

I take the free card and get there with the flush, he then shoves, obv its an easy call but if he had shoved the turn are we happy to call with all the outs.

Lost a race later on finished 47th no bink unfortunately.

PokerStars Hand #77907536293: Tournament #537485228, $5.00+$0.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XXI (1000/2000) - 2012/03/27 20:15:15 WET [2012/03/27 15:15:15 ET]
Table "537485228 61" 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: tueba (43801 in chips)
Seat 2: Chip_Coach (72870 in chips)
Seat 3: PROTENTIALmn (55157 in chips)
Seat 4: erimus14 (86235 in chips)
Seat 5: metotti999 (59373 in chips)
Seat 6: fishi28 (22430 in chips)
Seat 7: tmb_bulevar (59976 in chips)
Seat 8: Aggro Santos (66298 in chips)
Seat 9: smlpok17 (73268 in chips)
tueba: posts the ante 250
Chip_Coach: posts the ante 250
PROTENTIALmn: posts the ante 250
erimus14: posts the ante 250
metotti999: posts the ante 250
fishi28: posts the ante 250
tmb_bulevar: posts the ante 250
Aggro Santos: posts the ante 250
smlpok17: posts the ante 250
Aggro Santos: posts small blind 1000
smlpok17: posts big blind 2000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to erimus14 [Qs Js]
tueba: folds
Chip_Coach: folds
PROTENTIALmn: folds
erimus14: raises 2000 to 4000
metotti999: folds
fishi28: folds
tmb_bulevar: folds
Aggro Santos: raises 6550 to 10550
smlpok17: folds
erimus14: calls 6550
*** FLOP *** [ 10s 2c 9h]
Aggro Santos: bets 11615
erimus14: calls 11615
*** TURN *** [10s 2c 9h] [2s]
Aggro Santos: checks
erimus14: checks
*** RIVER *** [10s 2c 9h 2s] [8s]
Aggro Santos: bets 43883 and is all-in
erimus14: calls 43883
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Aggro Santos: shows [As Ad] (two pair, Aces and Deuces)
erimus14: shows [Qs Js] (a flush, Queen high)
erimus14 collected 136346 from pot
Aggro Santos finished the tournament in 93rd place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 136346 | Rake 0
Board [10s 2c 9h 2s 8s]
Seat 1: tueba folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
Seat 2: Chip_Coach folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
Seat 3: PROTENTIALmn folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
Seat 4: erimus14 showed [Qs Js] and won (136346) with a flush, Queen high
Seat 5: metotti999 folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
Seat 6: fishi28 folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
Seat 7: tmb_bulevar (button) folded before Flop (didn"t bet)
Seat 8: Aggro Santos (small blind) showed [As Ad] and lost with two pair, Aces and Deuces
Seat 9: smlpok17 (big blind) folded before Flop

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Cracking AA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »
imo:

1) wouldnt be calling the rr for 10k odd more with that hand as you are behind to soo many ranges and basically hoping to flop 2 pair, lucky trips or monster disguised straight.

2)  once youve called pre the flat on flop is my play as wouldnt want to be getting it all in.

But hey what do I know!! :-\

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
Most appropriate use of the word villain - this Aggro Santos guy is a bad man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2035603/Aggro-Santos-charged-raping-women.html

Think opening the hand is fine but am folding to the three bet - hand does not play well against his range. If we were a bit deeper then this is the type of situation where a 4 bet is sexy. Not 4betting here though as we would then be priced into calling a shove and it all gets a bit messy.

Am getting it in on the flop, we have overs, backdoor spades and a straight draw. Couldn't hope for much more and don't see any need to play it slow. If we do flat the flop then I understand the check back on the turn. Against this opponent, I like a slow roll on the river, timebank it and chat box action.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
U are no where near deep enough to peel here. Might just stick it in his eye considering his 3 bet %
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 13:52:57 PM »
Not convicted yet Mark. He may be, but currently the facts are disputed.

I"ve met him a couple of times, but just through my girlfriend, who is friends with him. She is on the left in the blue top & shorts and the big belt:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K5ZK2bUETU[/youtube]

Never knew he was a poker player though.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 13:58:33 PM »

I"ve met him a couple of times, but just through my girlfriend, who is friends with him. She is on the left in the blue top & shorts and the big belt:

Left... blue top.. shorts...

Happy (Mon)days John x
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 14:08:32 PM by PHIL_TC »
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 16:45:43 PM »

U are no where near deep enough to peel here. Might just stick it in his eye considering his 3 bet %

This.

Then go "Oh FFS" when he has AA this time.

Then type in "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in the chatbox when you bink.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

ronaldo07

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 17:20:54 PM »
 Kc

I like this a lot but I"m a ***** so I"d probably fold to the 3 bet.

As played on flop/turn is cool.

Team GNF member Bronze medal S4
Team GNF member GOLD S5

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 19:44:23 PM »

Hi, would like peoples views on this hand as played by the villain i won the hand on the river but would like peoples views on both parties play, ty in advance

You are more likely to get unbiased responses if you don"t disclose the result in your op. The fact that you showed results will totally skew peoples advise.

As played and irrespective of villains monster holding, you open raise a reasonable hand and face yet another 3b oop versus a serial 3bettor, to allow him to continue to abuse you would be a huge mistake as he steals many of your chip gaining opportunities.

QJs is a nice hand to 4b bluff with, it flops well when called and is easy to lay down on the rare occasion we unluckily run into the top of his range. I like a 4b to ~$22k planning to fold if he shoves.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 19:55:41 PM »
I"m with George on this and if he is as aggro as stats suggest then I"m piling on him*
Don"t really like peeling, even with QJs as we are just c/f too many flops. As played pre I would be c/raising the flop.
Don"t really like 4bet folding vs this guy as he is probably likely to jam alot of hands I might actually fold if we jam ourselves.

*be careful relying on these stats if sample size is small though
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 23:35:51 PM »
Hate the peel pre. Your hand is too weak and you are Out of position. This is a great 4 bet bluff jam spot and I rarely need an excuse to get them in, so this is what I  do here.

I don"t agree with 4 bet folding, like Brendan said. I think this uses up too much of your stack. I"d be happy to do this if I was deeper but not with 40 bigs.

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 04:36:24 AM »
hmmm meh its a good one to question, i"ll try not to get into a essay length reply :)

thats a large 3bet % over mostly i"d presume a small sample, so as a general yardstick i"d half that 3bet% to maybe reflect a better idea of his frequency/range.... so the 8 to 9% area, then all the usual tracker guff, check his fold to 4bet, his 3bet cb %, what sort of cb sizing has he used, have we seen him give up on turns, have a think about the positions he has 3bet u from and others, does the fact now he is 3betting u oop alter his range... blah blah etc etc......... plus add - cos we guesstimate a 3bet% of 8-9% do we think his range is merged or polarised...?
stack sizes make it awkward and its a low buy in, hand strength wise QJs plays well in position, it can flop well and if u think villain may give up after the flop after a small"ish to medium cb on a lot of textures then planning to steal after a turn check, or even a turn/river check is ok imho... given the stack sizes and the buy in, a hand which can flop ok [post flop these guys make the most mistakes] i think i favour flatting IP over 4bet jamming or min 4betting, whether villain is merged or polarised @ this stack size my gut says its probably more +ev to flat out of all the options u had at the time...
mtts = odds smods :) u have to gamble in spots, be it jamming your stack in the opponents eye, flatting 3bets IP or getting creative post flop with complete poop etc etc  just don"t get carried away with it and try to have a plan :)

checking out your blog if u are generally making a profit, final tabling a $55mtt and binking 2nd [well done btw] then i"d say there"s probably not to much wrong in your style/approach/strategy and to only make really subtle tweaks to anything areas wise u think u can improve on........

edit - and take Brens point, try not to post the result :)
edit - on his choice of sizing, had it changed or was it consistent?   @ this buy in imo the population tendency is to make there 3bet sizing oop a wee bit bigger with there unpaired hands and the smaller sizing is there stronger hands... just summit else to consider when forming a cunning plan ;D
edit - if u thought villains range was polarised/unbalanced and u decided to 4bet bluff i"d prefer to do it with a hand with a ace or king blocker like K5s A3s etc and add them into a 4bet it as a bluff strat.........
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:20:36 AM by noble1 »

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 14:09:23 PM »
Thanks for all replies plenty to think about and apply in future games. I do need to add the jam it in the eye approach to my game in the correct or incorrect situations and let variance sort it out  not being a massive grinder tend to be a bit more conservative.

In the hand being discussed, I did let the villain get to me slightly that"s why I flat called his 3 bet, although putting him to the test with the shove with 30 plus bigs left with  Q high a bit too high variance for me, between 20 25 bigs happy to get it in.

I am quite happy with my play, but it is nice to hear peoples views who are bigger winners than I am, it all helps, cheers.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 19:27:09 PM »

I don"t agree with 4 bet folding, like Brendan said. I think this uses up too much of your stack. I"d be happy to do this if I was deeper but not with 40 bigs.

I can understand that point Rob. But ;D

Do you think villains range for continuing, is different when we Jam versus when we 4bet to ~$22K
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 19:52:04 PM »

I can understand that point Rob. But ;D

Do you think villains range for continuing, is different when we Jam versus when we 4bet to ~$22K

V good question ( I"d love you in my maths class :))

short answer: yes

I just think the 4 bet gives the villain a chance to 5 bet bluff. It depends on what level you put the villain on, i,e. does he think that hero is only 4 betting because he keeps getting 3 bet?

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D