Author Topic: Depressed, sick as a parrot.....  (Read 9313 times)

linziwan

• Silver Member
  • UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
Depressed, sick as a parrot.....
« on: February 11, 2008, 14:47:04 PM »
After winning two tournaments, starting in a $3 rebuy satellite, to get to the $640 buy in for the Party Poker Million Cruise satellite with packages worth $12,000, I again get within striking distance of winning a seat in a prestigious tournament (only 6 people to go out to a money prize and 9 to the cruise package) I have qq... being so close to the prize I take no chances and raise with it.  Get reraised by a donk who has donked off loads of chips and been defending his blind all the way, so i reraise him all in.... he calls with...... a pair of 4s... he hasn"t got many more chips than me and I"m on an average stack.  Surprised at the call but thinking where"s me passport I"m gonna double up here.....

.................. you guessed it he hits a four, I have no idea what is happening to my luck over the past 8 months, getting called by all the donks going but just can"t get my hands to hold up.  ???

The WSOP satellite - I get crippled with a high pair by a pair of 6s, the EPT package it was a pair of 5s....  and its always like 3 to 6 hours into a tournament with only a fraction of the field remaining and no time to recover.

FRUSTRATION, FRUSTRATION, ..... GRRRRR

Only been on tilt once and that was when the computer (and Blue Square software) played up when I had a very good chance of getting into the top money spots......

But this run of mine is starting to really depress me  >:(.

I know statistically that it will stop - anybody know any good psychic"s think I need my karma washed - or something...  :)
UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
APAT WCOAP Online Heads Up Champion 2011

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: Depressed, sick as a parrot.....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 16:28:11 PM »
Standard.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 16:46:58 PM »

Only been on tilt once

Wow.....

I know statistically that it will stop

You"ve certainly got my sympathy but the above is all you need......

Hope the turn around is soon  ;)
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 17:01:49 PM »
been there, got the T-shirt

just keep on going

last year was the same, but with some good advice from kinboshi all seems well again.  

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 17:11:58 PM »
I have no idea what is happening to my luck over the past 8 months, getting called by all the donks going but just can"t get my hands to hold up.

So you would have been happier to be called by AA or KK?  ??? I bet when his hand was revealed you thought, "Hello, happy Xmas!"

You get all your chips in the middle as a 4/1 favourite and you complain about "donks" calling!

Bad Beat story alert!!!

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Zukertort

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 17:19:22 PM »
Poker variance, good luck, bad luck, donkey players, s**t cards, outdraws, suckouts, unlucky dealers, blah de blah, just the realities of this game we love? Linda, as Dan states these are daily standard happenings in poker which will even out over time. Sometimes we take these setbacks personally and say to ourselves "why me", which can undermine our confidence, if only temporarily? We all need to try & develop a winning poker mindset that understands and accepts these realities. The best book i found to help me in this area is by Ian Taylor & Matthew Hilger called "THE POKER MINDSET".
They list 7 core mental attitudes for success in poker, which if understood & followed will develop your mental game to a higher level. Certainly helped me with my mentality, now i just need to work on how to play!?  :D

Kevin

linziwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 17:22:44 PM »

I have no idea what is happening to my luck over the past 8 months, getting called by all the donks going but just can"t get my hands to hold up.

So you would have been happier to be called by AA or KK?  ??? I bet when his hand was revealed you thought, "Hello, happy Xmas!"

You get all your chips in the middle as a 4/1 favourite and you complain about "donks" calling!

Bad Beat story alert!!!

I actually state I was happy but surprised with the call... was already planning the trip.....   I was bemoaning the fact that I can"t seem to get my cards to hold up when there"s only 6 people left to go out before i win a $12,000 package.  

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 18:05:42 PM »

Bad Beat story alert!!!

I actually state I was happy but surprised with the call... was already planning the trip.....   I was bemoaning the fact that I can"t seem to get my cards to hold up when there"s only 6 people left to go out before i win a $12,000 package. 

think I need my karma washed

Disrespecting other players... bad karma.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 20:45:12 PM »
I remember you calling me a donk (or words to that effect) when I called your  ac ad1 with my  qc qd. (and hit a  qh)

You then proceeded to take pleasure when I was knocked out later in the tourney.

and you believe in Karma..??

linziwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 21:16:02 PM »

I remember you calling me a donk (or words to that effect) when I called your  ac ad1 with my  qc qd. (and hit a  qh)

You then proceeded to take pleasure when I was knocked out later in the tourney.

and you believe in Karma..??

Hi there Perc, the words were not "donk" just "lucky b"  and I was kidding, but I was ashamed of myself, as I did mention, that I could feel pleasure at your unfortunately dismissal from the tournament, which is why I put a wink in the message LOL. But human nature does prevail and the odd sin (or several) will creep in.  Your beating me with the QQs is just among the many hands I have lost very late in tournaments and for a lot more money than the bad beat you put on me. 

Say hi at the next National you attend (if I get there) and I will buy you a drink to unruffle your feathers and show you I"m not the bad tempered witch you think I am.

In the meantime Karma is giving me a big kick up the backside...   :) and I just have to smile through it and play as well as I can and hope she"ll like me again soon  ;D

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 21:26:33 PM »
"Your beating me with the QQs is just among the many hands I have lost very late in tournaments and for a lot more money than the bad beat you put on me."  

That"s doesn"t sound very magnanimous.  He didn"t "put a bad beat on you"..once the money goes in it"s down to how the cards fall, it"s out of both players hands.

Have you kept a tally over this same period of how often you won with the worst hand?  

Maxriddles

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 22:15:52 PM »

Have you kept a tally over this same period of how often you won with the worst hand?  

If you do keep a count of anything don"t, whatever you do, be tempted to keep a tally of how often you lose when going in well in front. I was driving myself round the bend not so long ago when I hit a bad run with pocket pair against smaller pocket pair. I noticed that a bad run had started then made the mistake of starting to count them. When I got to the stage of having won 10 times out of 30 as an 80% favourite it was beginning to effect my game, not that I was aware of it at the time, I was given some sound advice which was to stop counting. I also read somewhere that due to variance anything less than 40000 hands is not a particularly meaningful sample.

The only the thing I count now is when I do hit a bad run as, I have in the last couple of weeks I have started to count how often I have got my chips in while ahead. I have found this a useful method for seeking reassurance that I"m making good decisions and it helps keep my confidence in my game intact when the cards come out wrong.

Often the correct decision is the hardest to reach

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 10:04:54 AM »
A wise man once said "if you never get your chips in behind i guarantee you will never be a long term winning player"

OK it was flushy that said it so the wise man bit was a bit out but the sentiment is correct.

smileriraq

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 10:08:56 AM »
I played 3 games sit n gos last night 1st 2 games I played pretty well but only managed 2nd and 3rs (only 2nd paid) and in both cases got outdrawn on the turn and the river when ahead preflop

3rd game I won but only because I hit on the turn after being behind and it does all even out in the end. I always look at my result s over a period of a month and when all said and done I usually end up with more money than i started with.

If your having a bad run I also reccommend taking a poker break and do other things for a a few days

evilpie

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »

If your having a bad run I also reccommend taking a poker break and do other things for a a few days

Perhaps a bit of ironing might calm you down  ;D ;D

To be fair in such a big satellite comp with only 9 left to the major prize why are you going all in with a pair of queens following this action?

You said you were "taking no chances" so you raised with it. Didn"t you think you were taking a bit of a chance when someone who had you covered reraised you??

I think you can consider yourself lucky that you were actually ahead. I would"ve expected to be no better than a race against AK in this situation. You must"ve known he was going to call so why take the chance?

More of a bad luck story than a poker story so bad luck, better luck next time, blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc................