Author Topic: Poker association or No-Limit Hold'Em association??  (Read 13675 times)

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
Re: Poker association or No-Limit Hold'Em association??
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 21:20:16 PM »

I was meaning online events, like if 10% of online games that go to the final pointa tally are non NLHE, then it might put people off playing at all, as they will be starting  10% down so to speak.

The association shouldn"t be constrained to just providing NLHE events as ranking events - there"s a lot more to poker than NLHE. If the membership want other events then we should be looking at possible ways of meeting this demand.

Haworth / War... I do agree that it is a personal choice, but my feelings are to further grow the APAT I"d suspect that growth would be better gained through concentrating on NLHE rather than explore (at this point in time) into games that are less popular.

Now this maybe a sweeping statement, but members joining the APAT I"m guessing are new to poker, or at least newish....and solely player NLHE, this being the most sought after version, on which books are written, TV shows are made, and the WSOP of Poker is based on.  These " New " players  join such forums to improve their game online and have a greater exposure to the live scene, which is crucial in anyones " career".   IMHO

There"s a slight contradiction in your argument,  you want the poker tour to grow, but you don"t want it to include the other forms of the game?

If new members are new to poker why channel them all down one route to a single variation of the game under the assumption they won"t like or won"t be able to cope with the other variations?  I don"t actually agree with that anyway, I think that you"re pre-supposing an awful lot here, not quite patronising, but nearly. 

APAT isn"t a bunch of people who aren"t sure yet if a flush beats a straight, not that you"re suggesting that, but I think it"s members are a little more savvy than you"re suggesting.  I think a lot of people join APAT for lots of reasons, not necessarily just because they"re new to hold "em.

I think most join because they don"t have the funds to play at the higher levels, also because it"s a poker community with a reputation for some splendid p*ss ups poker weekends. 

No one is suggesting the tour should be split equally between the different variations anyway, just that there should be some variation.  One or two non-NLHE tournaments a season can be accommodated I think without alienating anyone or dashing anyone"s hopes of winning the season points race. 

The flip side to your argument is the is possibility that some APAT members might find a Hold "em only tour a little tedious and look for some Omaha or stud games instead of playing the Hold "em APAT games.

I don"t think either scenario is to the detriment of the tour though or would crush anyone"s chances of winning the end of season points prize.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 21:21:52 PM by WarBwastard »

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 21:46:17 PM »

APAT isn"t a bunch of people who aren"t sure yet if a flush beats a straight, not that you"re suggesting that, but I think it"s members are a little more savvy than you"re suggesting.

Of course we are.  We all know a flush beats a straight.  But of course, three of a kind beats anything.  Especially if they"re jacks.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

swordfish

• Waiting for the great leap forwards
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 23:11:37 PM »

The association shouldn"t be constrained to just providing NLHE events as ranking events - there"s a lot more to poker than NLHE. If the membership want other events then we should be looking at possible ways of meeting this demand.

Perhaps it"s up to those individuals to accept that it"s a poker tour and poker doesn"t begin and end with NLHE?  Just as live players have to accept that poker is also played on the intrawebs and vice-versa.

Most excellent points I think.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 02:51:27 AM »
Whos to say that in 5 or 10 years time another game wont be the number one choice, from what ive heard its widely predicted that omaha hi lo could take over as the number one choice of game in the nearish future

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »

Whos to say that in 5 or 10 years time another game wont be the number one choice, from what ive heard its widely predicted that omaha hi lo could take over as the number one choice of game in the nearish future

Will that be 4 card or 6 card?

Either way - just a game for degenerate gamblers and bingo players.

8)

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 19:05:20 PM »

APAT isn"t a bunch of people who aren"t sure yet if a flush beats a straight, not that you"re suggesting that, but I think it"s members are a little more savvy than you"re suggesting.

Of course we are.  We all know a flush beats a straight.  But of course, three of a kind beats anything.  Especially if they"re jacks.

lol. A Flush beats a straight. You are such a kidder Daniel.!!!

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 19:45:33 PM »

I was meaning online events, like if 10% of online games that go to the final pointa tally are non NLHE, then it might put people off playing at all, as they will be starting  10% down so to speak.

Haworth / War... I do agree that it is a personal choice, but my feelings are to further grow the APAT I"d suspect that growth would be better gained through concentrating on NLHE rather than explore (at this point in time) into games that are less popular.

Now this maybe a sweeping statement, but members joining the APAT I"m guessing are new to poker, or at least newish....and solely player NLHE, this being the most sought after version, on which books are written, TV shows are made, and the WSOP of Poker is based on.  These " New " players  join such forums to improve their game online and have a greater exposure to the live scene, which is crucial in anyones " career".   IMHO

There"s a slight contradiction in your argument,  you want the poker tour to grow, but you don"t want it to include the other forms of the game?

APAT isn"t a bunch of people who aren"t sure yet if a flush beats a straight, not that you"re suggesting that, but I think it"s members are a little more savvy than you"re suggesting.  I think a lot of people join APAT for lots of reasons, not necessarily just because they"re new to hold "em.

I think most join because they don"t have the funds to play at the higher levels, also because it"s a poker community with a reputation for some splendid p*ss ups poker weekends. 

I understand you comments, but My opinion is that in order to make the tour, I think this would be best achieve d sticking to the main game of Poker.

And I couldn"t agree more with you that APAT are more than a bunch of Flush / Straight clueless players,  and again yes people join the APAT to play more acceessable live events, whilst sharing info tip, hints etc, to improve their own Online game at stakes on the lower end.  This is exactly why I joined myself, but I think they join to play in most cases NLHE, and so I think, for now, it would do more harm than good....I guess we will see!

I have been wrong  many , many times before!!..lol
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 20:10:28 PM »

... but I think they join to play in most cases NLHE

Could this be because in most cases NLHE is the game being offered?

I don"t think anyone is suggesting that every other event should be something other than NLHE. I also think that the inclusion of the additional variations as part of an end of season festival is a good idea (although I"m not sure the timing is right, bank hol weekend?)

To gauge support for alternative games, how about a supporting event on day 2 of the national event... say £30 buy-in 3000 chips / 30 min clock... make it a PL or Limit mixed game of some description, perhaps HE & Omaha on alternate blind levels.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 20:21:44 PM »

How about a supporting event on day 2 of the national event... say £30 buy-in 3000 chips / 30 min clock... make it a PL or Limit mixed game of some description, perhaps HE & Omaha on alternate blind levels.

That"s something I was thinking about suggesting as well Alan, although my suggestion would be to play a single variation. Similar buy in, stack and clock to what I was thinking though.

This would, hopefully, have a few beneficial effects...

1. Players get the opportunity to test the waters with the different variations.
2. APAT gets a reasonable idea of the demand for these games.
3. More players around on day 2, either playing or supporting.
4. Enhanced player experience ?

I like this idea......  8)

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 09:13:50 AM »

... but I think they join to play in most cases NLHE

To gauge support for alternative games, how about a supporting event on day 2 of the national event... say £30 buy-in 3000 chips / 30 min clock... make it a PL or Limit mixed game of some description, perhaps HE & Omaha on alternate blind levels.

Sounds like a good idea, Sir.  
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 08:27:24 AM »
I agree with the comment about Ohama and bad beats, it is a drawing game. 

Regarding this debate over whether APAT should include different variations of poker,  I think it is a good idea, and one that I feel is being addressed with the end of year festival, where some of the different variations are being tested to see what the demand is.

For all those wanting non NLHE events to be included in the future, surely supporting these events should be a priority, I am hoping to participate in them, as I love (most) varients.

Also surely APAT's aim to be THE tour and Association for poker players in the UK, we need to be inclusive not exclusive in what variations are offered.

The different variations of poker have different skill sets, and what is learnt in one variation, can improve your understanding in others.  I think the pros/cons of whether to be a one trick pony, or learn a variety of game is discussed in super system2.

;D

Still learn the science and practicing the art