Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 11947 times)

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Quick Question
« on: February 15, 2008, 13:51:46 PM »
Indirectly another thread reminded me of a puzzler I was set last weekend.

It would be quite embarrassing if everybody finds it really easy, because it stumped me (in my defence, I had been taking full advantage of a free bar at the time so my judgment and calculation skills may have been a little impaired).

Anyway the question is:

If are in a heads up situation against one other player, and you are holding a pair of Kings - what 2 cards must your opponent be holding to give him the least chance of cracking your kings?

I haven"t actually checked the answer I was given, but it was "Mad" Marty Wilson who asked the question and supplied the answer - so I"m assuming it"s right.  :)
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 13:56:26 PM »
I think QQ of same suit as the KK.  Any underpair leaves only 2 outs to draw trips, but with QQ, the opportunities of a straight are reduced as two kings are gone, and the same suit means that there is no flush opportunity.

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 14:02:48 PM »
Something like K2 offsuit I think - with the 2 being the same suit as one of your
Kings.
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 14:05:25 PM »

Is the answer that it doesn"t matter as you can"t see your cards because you are just back from a visit to the ridiculous hat shop?

;D

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 14:10:31 PM »

Something like K2 offsuit I think - with the 2 being the same suit as one of your
Kings.

I"d agree with that

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 14:12:18 PM »

Is the answer that it doesn"t matter as you can"t see your cards because you are just back from a visit to the ridiculous hat shop?

;D

2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 14:14:20 PM »

It would be quite embarrassing if everybody finds it really easy, because it stumped me (in my defence, I had been taking full advantage of a free bar at the time so my judgment and calculation skills may have been a little impaired).

Anyway the question is:

If are in a heads up situation against one other player, and you are holding a pair of Kings - what 2 cards must your opponent be holding to give him the least chance of cracking your kings?

I haven"t actually checked the answer I was given, but it was "Mad" Marty Wilson who asked the question and supplied the answer - so I"m assuming it"s right.  :)

Would it be the other two Kings?

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 14:16:32 PM »

Kings.

I"d agree with that

Snap - Opps, wrong game  ;)

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 14:33:05 PM »
K-2 v K-K is 5% to win.  Not sure what the percentage is for hitting four cards to make the flush, but don"t players have that chance anyway?  So aren"t your chances 50-50?  Head hurts, too much thinking.  Must lie down.  

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 14:33:08 PM »

Anyway the question is:

Would it be the other two Kings?

Des is the winner (he is with the question worded as it is anyway). 

K2o of matching suits to AA is the biggest advantage heads up.  Not heard this one about KK before, but I Des is right that if the opponent has KK then you"re very unlikely to lose (only to the flush of course), same likelihood of winning, and most of the time it"s the chop.

Des wins a pint.  Unfortunately, he"s the one buying the drinks...

I also think that Eck"s answer deserves a pint!! ;D
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 14:48:24 PM »
Yes Des wins the prize for being able to read the question properly.  ;D

There was a general theme in the conversation we were having regarding quiz questions - but that was the only poker related one.

2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 14:48:58 PM »
Yes it"s KK v"s KK for least chance of getting it cracked well spotted.

Still my K2 was close and I know what I"d rather have  ;)

KK v"s KK chance of losing 2.17%

KK v"s K2 (off suit and the 2"s suit matching one of your K"s) chance of losing 4.31%
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 15:20:00 PM »

Anyway the question is:

What about the same two kings?  That would give each player no chance at all of winning.  I win, I"m best.  I"ve had a good day Jim, but I want to gamble, I want to play for the speed boat now.  Give me a space question.

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 15:34:08 PM »
I"ve had a good day Jim, but I want to gamble, I want to play for the speed boat now.  Give me a space question.

Oh ok then..... for the speedboat.... What is the most common element found in the universe?

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 15:40:03 PM »

I"ve had a good day Jim, but I want to gamble, I want to play for the speed boat now.  Give me a space question.

Oh ok then..... for the speedboat.... What is the most common element found in the universe?

Hydrogen.

A speedboat is exactly what I need.  I live in Tamworth.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason