Author Topic: WWYD flopped bottom set...  (Read 6794 times)

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
WWYD flopped bottom set...
« on: July 25, 2012, 14:26:12 PM »
DTD GP detail slightly hazy

UTG+1 raises, just over minimum. Hasn"t played a lot of hands.
One fold, player to my left flats - hasn"t been at table long and from some of his bet sizes isn"t a big thinker. Playing c50k
I flat with 33 playing 80ish
BB flats - reckons he"s brilliant, has two flags but nothing to speak of. keeps telling the table that his favourite hand is  10c 8c because he won an £8k cash pot with it. Has made a few moves, shoved his BB over a raise and call and showed 56. Hollywoods every decision and makes a big show of folding his cards in frustration. A few of the rest of us discussed putting a bounty on him at the last break, and one of the dealers implored us to take him out soon.

Flop is J 5 3 rb
BB shoves for c25k - at this stage I know I"m calling him.
Original raiser folds
Player to my left reshoves for c50k

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 14:32:34 PM by david3103 »
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: WWYD flopped bottom set...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 15:11:46 PM »
Not sure how the player on your left has acted after the BB but before you - guess that"s just in the detail :)

If everyone is discussing how to take the BB out, the reshove could be all sorts of potentially marginal hands that are trying to isolate - all flush and straight draws, or one pair/two pair/sets, or even slow played overpairs.

Feels like a great spot to get a massive stack - call, and hope that they are are both drawing and have each other"s outs.   Not sure I can find many good reasons for not calling here.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 15:13:00 PM »
You haven"t said what blind level we are at but I snap call and if it"s set over set then so be it.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 15:20:21 PM »
Presuming the plan pre was to hit a set... you"ve hit the hand you wanted? Never folding here.
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 15:42:12 PM »
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 18:21:42 PM »
Thinking too hard here dave. You call pre with 33 to hit a set. you have hit a set. You have 2 people going potty before you. Call, win huge pot (hopefully)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 22:27:16 PM »
Just pondering whether to put my hand in the air first before calling, especially in a re-entry tournament - i"d need to know blind levels to know how quickly I snap it off though
Looking forward to making my first day 2

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:38:06 AM »
Yeah I called. I guess i was always calling, but I tanked it for a while on the basis that the first flat call could very easily be 55, and conceivably be JJ.

I snap one shove, especially the BBs but it seems to me that snapping two is a touch hasty, and snapping two with your hand in the air to high five the dealer may prove embarrassing.

BB had J rag, the re-shove was with QQ.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »
Probably doesnt reshove the nuts on a super dry board. Only hand I thought he could possibly have that beats you is 55 as many players will snap squeeze TT-KK pre and maybe flat AA. So kind of surprised to see queens. Thing is though he has alot of Jx hands which is why I think your call is v easy.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 13:31:11 PM »

Probably doesnt reshove the nuts on a super dry board. Only hand I thought he could possibly have that beats you is 55 as many players will snap squeeze TT-KK pre and maybe flat AA. So kind of surprised to see queens. Thing is though he has alot of Jx hands which is why I think your call is v easy.

tbf, the standard isn"t wonderful in the early stages of these. 2nd is attainable just by running good for a day and a half ;-)

55 was my major concern and I chose not to rush to a decision just because I"d called to hit a set and done so. His seat (which was one to my right, not left as written originally) was one where flatting the raise with a small pair made sense. Just like it did for me.
If you then flop a set obviously you want to get it in.
if our seats were swapped then I"d have shoved my set with him still to act.

Why wouldn"t anyone want to at least consider the chance that they were behind to a bigger set in this spot?

#nofistpumpcalls

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 13:45:09 PM »
Well you don"t have the nuts so you could be behind..... but I think I put enough reasons in my post to suggest why you are miles ahead of both their ranges. For every time he has 55/jj there are numerous times he has a 1pair hand.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 13:55:30 PM »

Why wouldn"t anyone want to at least consider the chance that they were behind to a bigger set in this spot?

#nofistpumpcalls

you are miles ahead of both their ranges.

This is the key here.  Of course it"s possible that we are beat, but when we think of villain"s range, and our equity vs this range...anything but fist-pump calling is an error.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 15:42:55 PM »

#nofistpumpcalls

you are miles ahead of both their ranges.

This is the key here.  Of course it"s possible that we are beat, but when we think of villain"s range, and our equity vs this range...anything but fist-pump calling is an error.

Of course we"re ahead of their ranges - specifically the reshovers range since covering BB comfortably and can take that hit if hit it is.
But, and I"m labouring the point I know, this is a tournament with a significant prizr pool and a likely overlay. Should we not take some amount of time to consider what hands he might have within his range that would make this bet? To narrow his range down.
He called pre, which he hasn"t shown a tendency to do. So, ignoring the evidence of the showdown, I"m looking at 22-1010. A10s+ AJo+ (maybe exclude AK?)
all reasonable so far?
Now he"s reshoved on a J53 flop
With an underpair that didn"t make a set?
With TPTK?
He hasn"t looked that spewy, although neither has he looked like he is solid and thinking.

meh - i thought it through and decided that the chances he had a set were small, but to me they seemed worth considering given his range pre and his actions postflop.

Maybe it"s easier to ask what you would be shoving on that flop over the BB"s move with one player still to act?

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 16:04:54 PM »
Assuming BB has an spr of ~1:1 gng to the flop with the open-jam, and utg+1 has an spr of ~2:1.  If we were deep, then other options come into play, and things are more complicated, but not when we are this shallow.  Its our own spr and equity vs villains ranges that make this a snap-call.  Sets are of course included in this range, but are a very small part of it.

Also, of course it"s ok to have a think about the situation at any stage, but Im pretty sure this thread wasn"t made to ask the question, "How quick should I call these all-ins?"

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 18:07:33 PM »

Presuming the plan pre was to hit a set... you"ve hit the hand you wanted? Never folding here.

^^^^^^ This^^^^^^ 100%
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP