Author Topic: Side "Sporting" Events at WCOAP. Pingpong/pool,. etc....  (Read 55730 times)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Side "Sporting" Events at WCOAP. Pingpong/pool,. etc....
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2013, 19:41:50 PM »
ummm I was down #2 on the list for this.   Rodders - you need to check the first page of this thread....

Luthee13

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2013, 02:57:01 AM »
I don"t need exact numbers but the more there are the more tables we will need to book to make a tournament happen in the right time frame so i could do with a pretty accurate ish number if possible, please :)
what i do need, is a definite start time an desired duration, anyone? xxx
also, as a suggestion for pool, instead of a straight knock out, could we not run it in a similar way to the ping pong (an possibly some famous football tournament or other...) ie a set of round robins of 4 people, top two from each group go through etc. Means people will at least get the 3 games within their group? Just a thought xxx
Raise! For Jack - Silver Medallists 2019!

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »
In for the pool, see first page Rodders!
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2013, 11:20:03 AM »
I can read the first page but wanted people to reconfirm as I do not believe everybody on that list is going to show up (you always get cancellations in these things) and if Lucy is getting us a decent deal just wanted to be sure that we did have enough people definitely going to ensure we did not let anybody down.

Will double check everything when I get back as I am on a train at the moment
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

kevod85

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2013, 13:46:58 PM »

I don"t need exact numbers but the more there are the more tables we will need to book to make a tournament happen in the right time frame so i could do with a pretty accurate ish number if possible, please :)
also, as a suggestion for pool, instead of a straight knock out, could we not run it in a similar way to the ping pong (an possibly some famous football tournament or other...) ie a set of round robins of 4 people, top two from each group go through etc. Means people will at least get the 3 games within their group? Just a thought xxx

Id prefer this aswell if there is enough of us
APAT Welsh Amateur Championship 2012 Bronze Medal

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2013, 14:04:45 PM »

Id prefer this aswell if there is enough of us

I would have thought having enough would be the problem - you will have a time limit to fit all these games in to because of people having to get to DtD.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

ajcairns

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2013, 23:14:59 PM »
is there any golf, of any variety, or bowling, of the ten pin variety going to happen do we think?

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2013, 23:52:11 PM »
Take me off the pool list please
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
Apologies, but I"m unable to attend the pool and ping pong that I was down for.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Matt D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »

is there any golf, of any variety, or bowling, of the ten pin variety going to happen do we think?

I think we might organise some last minute 10-pin-bowling... Outside golf in sub zero temps is no fun.

I"m going to PM everyone who registered interest in Pingpong (who hasn"t subsequently withdrawn) to confirm attendance, venue, start time etc. over the next 24 hours, so I can have a final-ish number.
APAT Online is on Grosvenor Poker. Down the software from http://www.apat.com/grosvenor-poker

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2013, 11:30:51 AM »
Oh man....I"d forgot about freezing cold temps.  Good call!  Snow is spring...who"d have thunk it?

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
Hi all

After speaking to Lucy over the last few days (Lucy is REALLY good at pool btw) she has been really helpful with all this. I would suggest we put a start time on this of 10am to ensure we get the games played? I really doubt that everybody on the list is turning up but if they do we are looking at starting in a round of 32 (with byes) and are basically looking at that anyway. We only really have 3 hours.

How long do best of 3 frame games take? 20 minutes at the higher end? So we would need 4 tables and be able to play best of 3 in the time frame. Maybe make the final best of 5 if we have the time.

Can"t see the group thingy working tbh unless somebody can suggest of a way of doing it within the time frame.

-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

kevod85

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
Never been into a Rileys but assuming it works the same as other pool/snooker clubs, can we not just start with as many tables as we need and close them off as the numbers come down?

APAT Welsh Amateur Championship 2012 Bronze Medal

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »
Some calcs on timings below, based on 32 players in a straight knockout, with all matches as best of three (assumed 2.5 frames per match average).  

Pools of 4 would be tough if all 32 turned up and we would need at least 6 tables to get through in under 3 hours, based on each match being only 1 frame all the way to the final.

This is worst case scenario - timings would decrease with any byes.
Have assumed 10 minutes per frame (should be ample, and would include a bit of contingency or arguing time)

Remember, this is only a gap fill event before the poker - in two to three hours, we"re always going to struggle to make it an exceptional event with lots of play for everyone.

josharp01

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »

I think we might organise some last minute 10-pin-bowling.

;D
2013 WCOAP Razz Champion "Jangle Jangle" :)

Proud Captain of Scotland "A" team-Home Int Champs 2012 :)

Captain of S6 East of England Team :)
APAT UK Online Champion 2011
Proud member of former Team Luton :D
NinjaJoJo on APAT Poker