Author Topic: Cool spot with a marginal hand - how to play it  (Read 8904 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
Re: Cool spot with a marginal hand - how to play it
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 13:52:58 PM »

Given that we are in control of the hand with position and the betting lead after the 4-bet do we need to make it bigger?
I did not have enough hands on him to have a fold to 4-bet stat but did know that he was not folding to many 3-bets so did expect him to call wide.

ILOVESIMONE ($31.66 in chips) - VP$IP: 22% | PFR: 21% | 3-Bet: 18% | Fold to 3-Bet: 63%

as a starting point a general adjustment you could make here based on the above stats/stack depth is 4bet polarised AA KK Ax Kx [the best ratio is for you to work out] and bloat the pot pre as big as you can, its fair to say this guy has a wide value 3bet range :)
I very much doubt his 3bet range is polarised hence why i think its better to 4bet polarised and bloat IP as much as we profitably can.
If you want to continue opening fairly wide from the button then you have to structure your ranges in such a way as to find the most value across all your ranges, or its basic adjustment number one - tighten up pre, or start limping on the button [so create a limping range for just in case you ever come up against a rampant 3bettor again in the future :)]

deep stacked i like playing bloated pots in position ;D

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 18:05:24 PM »
Quote from: noble1

well you think he"s mega wide so make it as big as possible, figure out the EV of 4 betting this player at various sizings. The 4bet sizing you did is way to small, i"d guess he"d call virtually with the whole of his 3bet range

Not so sure on this logic Noble. We are being 3b wide, how do we exploit this / counter villain exploiting us? In this instance Rodders correctly chooses to 4b bluff and K9 falls into the category......

Quote from: noble1

it would be a better idea to 4bet polarised deep with Ax Kx rags

Assuming we agree that this is a 4b bluff, betting a larger size would need to succeed more often and will be less profitable so we should at least start at a smaller betsize expecting to find enough folds from villains wide 3b range.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
i"ll reply bren when i get some spare time, but just have a think about the sizing deep and how it effects post flop play as well, take into account implied odds etc etc..

question for rodders - are you using hem? i don"t know if you take this into account already but the fold to 3bet stat can be misleading , say utg1 raises the c/o 3bets and you fold the button, this goes into your hem fold to 3bet stat [unless recently hem have corrected this with a patch etc]... pt4 has a raise and fold to 3bet stat which cuts out a lot of mistakes..

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 17:05:34 PM »
depending on the opponent the small 4bet is something that isn"t a part of my game deep stacked.. against an 3bet happy opponent like this deep stacked my adjustment is to thin out my 4betting range [very strong hands or a few 4bet bluffs with card removal effects] and flat his 3bets with my more appealing hands... [and use larger 4bet sizing, i feel multiple betsizings are often more exploitative than single/static/fixed bet sizes and adds significant value to my strategy]

i"d 4bet small often if i had a read or was confident that it would induce the opponent to 5bet weak... deep stacked i prefer mixed bet-sizing strategies [pre and post] the idea of multiple bet sizing maybe puts off players if they are playing on  multiple tables BUT its a good idea imho that by creating multiple ranges for different sizings can be more profitable than one or two fixed sizings...

Drewski

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 00:36:09 AM »
I agree with what noble has said. The only thing i would add is that there would be nothing wrong with moving table. If you feel you are being targeted and are not comfy and would rather have position on this player then there is no shame in looking for a different seat or different table. Especially as unless you do 4 bet him you are giving him no reason to stop 3betting you. You would do it yourself if a player was letting you get away with it.