Author Topic: JM 3rd September Hand 2 - Donk betting with top pair  (Read 3554 times)

Charlie44

• Silver Member
JM 3rd September Hand 2 - Donk betting with top pair
« on: September 06, 2013, 00:16:50 AM »
 Apologies if these seem relatively trivial hands but I think these are the bread and butter and I would appreciate others apaters views on best way to play them.

Only 16 hands on villain but has stats of 25/0/2. So doesn"t seem great player. Should I be check/calling or check raising flop here, or is it ok to mix my range of donk betting here.

Once hes called the flop what range should I be putting him on here ? I put him a likely AK as it was his first p/f raise and I think he is raising with overpair. Is it ok to bet the turn ?

What about the river? It was intended as a blocker bet. Is this a silly fold to raise or is there more that 20% chance that I am winning ?

PokerStars - $0.10 NL ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players

BTN: $18.47
SB: $9.42
Hero (BB): $12.11
UTG: $8.55
UTG+1: $4.44
MP: $5.28
MP+1: $3.50
LP: $7.86
CO: $8.96

SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has Ts Ks

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to $0.20, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45, 2 players) 7d 8c Th
Hero bets $0.17, MP+1 calls $0.17

Turn: ($0.79, 2 players) Qd
Hero bets $0.25, MP+1 calls $0.25

River: ($1.29, 2 players) 4d
Hero bets $0.40, MP+1 raises to $0.90, fold

MP+1 wins $2.00

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: JM 3rd September Hand 2 - Donk betting with top pair
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 00:31:09 AM »
I"d rather raise than flat this OOP especially on Zoom/ Rush where we can just move on to a better seat or better hand.

Probably raise/fold pre.

As played once he calls the flop bet I"d shut down, we don"t need to bluff on these tables, we need to make big hands and bet them.

Also, when did people start min-raising on these tables?
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 00:36:33 AM »

Apologies if these seem relatively trivial hands but I think these are the bread and butter and I would appreciate others apaters views on best way to play them.

Only 16 hands on villain but has stats of 25/0/2. So doesn"t seem great player. Should I be check/calling or check raising flop here, or is it ok to mix my range of donk betting here.

Once hes called the flop what range should I be putting him on here ? I put him a likely AK as it was his first p/f raise and I think he is raising with overpair. Is it ok to bet the turn ?

What about the river? It was intended as a blocker bet. Is this a silly fold to raise or is there more that 20% chance that I am winning ?

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to $0.20, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.10

MP+1 wins $2.00

A passive ( albeit tiny sample ) player raises out of a 35 bb stack, I fold KTs in this spot.

If I see a flop I check call flop, check fold turn.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 15:30:46 PM »
seems ok to me. can usually bet until raised at these stakes. I would probably peel pre with this hand, not 3betting here.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Sillbags

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 15:50:17 PM »

MP+1 wins $2.00

A passive ( albeit tiny sample ) player raises out of a 35 bb stack, I fold KTs in this spot.

If I see a flop I check call flop, check fold turn.

This^

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
Nothing to trivial to be posted in this section, we need to get the good debate going. This hand.

We have an opponent who has limp 4 times out of 16 hands, they have now raised preflop, even if it is a min raise. It folds to us in the BB and we have a marginal hand out of position. I actually don"t mind any of the options here, folding seems OK and calling seems OK. My default setting is raise so I may well do that, we do have good odds to call though. It is very hard to put him on a hand here, the only info we have on him is that he is passive and a raise should indicate a biggish hand. JJ+ and AQ+ maybe. Hard to say

Problem with the flop is we are OOP which is never ideal with this hand. The flop is annoying as give us the best hand most of the time but it just looks like this is going to get complex. I would check/call here and already be in pot control mode which make me think back to preflop and think maybe I should be folding. When he just calls our lead he can have an overpair a lot and he might even be peeling one off with AK or AQ. We can"t narrow his range down much.

The turn card is not safe and our hand can"t take any heat at all. We are now losing to all sorts of things, I still don"t mind the bet out. Not sure on betting 25c into 79c but that is likely to be a personal thing. The call now feels like we are beat. He should not have a monster here but his range is beating us. AK would have folded here most of the time, unless it now has the flush draw and a gutshot to go with it and most of his pairs and queen are beating us.

The river is a check fold for me, even the unlikely flush draw got there. When he raises I just don"t see that this line is EVER a bluff I don"t see what can call two streets and then bluff raise the river. Maybe a random 9 but I doubt we can put many of those in his range and passive players don"t bluff raise the river.

As played - Good Fold

Any thoughts on check/calling the river?
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Charlie44

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »

Any thoughts on check/calling the river?

Thanks for the post Steve. At the time Rightly or wrongly I just felt that with his stats I could be confident that if he raised I was beaten and by betting small I would loose the minimum. However I really do not like putting money in 3 streets and not getting to showdown. In hindsight compared to what I did I think it would have been better to check/call and paying extra perhaps 20c/30c to see showdown. As other have said perhaps the best option is to check/fold and move on.