i finished in 264th
APAT Northern Regional Champion 2008
APAT ECAOP Online Player of the Series 2012

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 11:42:30 AM »
Well played to all those who cashed yesterday and wished to brag on this thread lol!

Any tips though? I yet again failed to cash this time by playing tighter than tighty McTight amasing a stack then donking it all in 2 hands.

Got doubled up in Level 1 with AA v QQ then level 3 with QQ v 77.  This put me on around 10k. I folded my way to the break and reached it with about 9k.

About 20 mins of folding later I get KQs on bb and a single raise from the button to which I complete. Flop comes 10JQ rainbow (1 club). I bet the pot he calls. Its checked on a turn which brings a rag no club. I check the river and villain goes all in for 4k into 1.5k pot. The inner donk in me makes the insta call and he flips QQ. Avoidable loss possibly but strange play of QQ on draw heavy flop?

Still above average (6k ish) but a bit steamy I get AQs on the button with 5 limpers so far. I make it 10x bb to go and get 1 caller from 2nd position.

Flop comes Q82, he checks and I push for last 3k ish. Villain calls, flips Q8s and I"m gone. Back to loose aggressive next week lol.

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »
Out in 11th.... so close to FT it hurt to go out....

Thx for the railage Neil.

Not often you win over $400 for a $10 game and feel gutted about it  :(

Final hand - One push to far  :-\

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to Oenone [ ah ts]
Kurt_Jara: raises 420000 to 630000
Oenone: raises 1348262 to 1978262 and is all-in
oop64AA: folds
Einnebson: folds
river_jackq: folds
Kurt_Jara: calls 1348262
*** FLOP *** [ 5c qd  :2d:]
*** TURN *** [5c qd  :2d:] [6s]
*** RIVER *** [5c qd  :2d: 6s] [7c]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

Kurt_Jara: shows [ jh  :as:] (high card Ace)
Oenone: shows [ ah  ts] (high card Ace - lower kicker)
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »
I think its difficult to give tips for a tourney that has such a massive field and such a fast structure.

You seem to want advice on how to play the early stages. I think it doesn"t matter which style you play out of LAG or TAG, you pick the one that suits you personally.

I find that TAG will get you into the money enough times to have a +ROI over the long run. LAG will, with a bit of luck give you a chip count in the top 100 (or even chip leader) but will ultimately mean you dont cash as often

The real skill is kicking on and adapting to the different situations, in order to go super deep. If you are chip leader with 2000 players left to go, you still have a hell of lot of work to do. The only real advantage that you have at this stage, is that you can take a few beats and still, come back.

In the previous thread that I put a link to, George mentions carefully assessing each players pushing and calling ranges. This seems great key advice and is the sort of skill (that I completely lack) that is needed to regularly kick on in a tourney like this.

In short, your cards become increasingly irrelevant and it is all about finding correct situations to stick your chips in. Morlspin, in his post, made 2 folds that the average player, myself included, wouldn"t have. In a fast structure, pocket 10s or Queens are gold dust and you can get into the mentality of not letting them go because "this is the best spot I"ll find". Morls played the situation and not his cards. Furthermore, i reckon he shoved his chips in with much much worse

Annette_15 has won this tourney. She also won a 180 player $4 SNG where she didn"t look at her hole cards. In both tourneys she would have got super lucky but I bet all decisions were good mathematical ones that gave her the edge over the rest.

This is THE best valoo tourney in online poker for us amateurs. If anyone here, gets to the FT then post your secret, because you need a little bit more than good luck to get there. Great effort from Zanshin
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 16:42:35 PM »
Great post. Thanks. Top work Zanshin wp mate.

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 16:52:01 PM »
The SHG is a bit of a nightmare of a tourney.

Early on I'm looking to pick up A's or K's if I'm going to play a pot from early or mid position. A limp or small raise is usually ok as it will most likely be re-raised and you can then shove. You may already find that your table will call any big raise no mater what so a massive over bet straight away will get the chips in.

Late position I'll try to get into some cheap pots with speculative hands, small pairs suited connectors, Ax suited etc and hope to hit cause if you do you will get paid.

Unfortunately cheap pots are not usually easy to find.

Once the blinds start rising, then you can pretty much forget about your cards as you will quickly find yourself in push fold territory  which is what the SHG is realy all about.

When you are sitting with an M of around 10 then the blinds will be up soon (they always are in this game), you'll have paid your blinds and antes for a round and before you know it your M has plummeted and you are struggling again.

It's a tricky balance of being patient but pushing your chips in often. You have to just pick a good spot and shove.

If you have a big hand then fine. If not you have to pick the situation and there are a lot of factors to consider here:

Pushing ranges, calling ranges, your image, stack sizes (who's to scared to call and who's going to call regardless), when are the blinds going up, when is the next payout step up and who at your table looks like they care, who can lay down  a raise you come over the top of and who will always call.. etc. etc.

Stars SHG - Push and pray poker at it's finest ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 16:38:24 PM by Zanshin »
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.