Author Topic: Swap of seat  (Read 16494 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: Swap of seat
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »

... just hope the winnings cover the cost of travel and accomodation.

I think this is a significant part of the problem of people wanting to play the World"s rather than the Irish.

Obviously the World is the finale and that gives a big incentive to play it - but Dublin is about as expensive as London for hotels and more expensive to travel to, so given the choice I think it"s understandable that people would prefer London.

But as Des has said, we can"t have all the seats allocated before the clickfest starts, so I think it"s equally as understandable that APAT are having to restrict the deferment of seats in a way which they haven"t had to for the other Nationals.

just to let u guys know, i got return flights from edinburgh to dublin for £10 with ryanair, not sure bout the cost from other airports. i cant get a taxi home from a night out for a tenner lol! hope to see u all in dublin.  ;D

Flights near me seem to vary from a few pence (East Midlands), to about £80 (from Birmingham).  So I don"t think flights are a huge problem for most people.

However, there"s the cost of getting to and from the airports at both ends - which obviously varies.

On top of that, there"s the cost of the hotels - and Dublin isn"t cheap at all.  Then there"s the costs of spending a weekend in a city full of lovely Guinness - and it starts to add up.  If you have to click-fest in for your seat there"s another £75 on top.

If your partner wants to come to, then the costs rocket.

I was very close to not going to this one, but am fortunate enough to be able to make it.  I wanted to go to Vienna as well, but it was just beyond my means/bankroll. 

For a £75 tournament it"s not a cheap weekend, unless you cash.  Of course, there"s more to APAT than just a £75 tournament.  Which is why many of us are so keen to go to as many as we can.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »
yip i totally agree kinboshi. if i hadn"t won my seat, my bankroll would not have stretched to dublin.
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time"

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »

yip i totally agree kinboshi. if i hadn"t won my seat, my bankroll would not have stretched to dublin.

Brag post!!!

;D

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »

Brag post!!!

;D

wasn"t meant to be  :-[  just tellin the truth  8)
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time"

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
If it was just a bankroll decision, then it"s a tight weekend to decide.  However, as Daniel says, an APAT event is more than that, hence the usual demand for places.

I treat them as weekends away with some poker thrown in for good measure.  Although I still owe Jen a weekend in Vienna having spent most of it in Poker Royale and everything being shut on the bank holiday Monday.  I think because of that, she"s not risking Dublin.  Doesn"t she realise I"m usually out very early in these events with a terrible story to tell. (Thinking about it, thats probably why she doesn"t come along very often.  At least having to listen to me on the phone means she doesn"t have to pretend to look interested.)

A few pence to fly from the Midlands, and I thought I got a good deal at £55 from Southampton.  I"d be better of driving to Birmingham and catching a flight from there.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
I hope to be there, but am Captain of my local cricket team, and we have fixtures every weekend. Fortunately we had a bye in the cup last week, therefore allowing me to qualify via the manchester regional :). Now we are currently near the top of the table, so there will be massive pressure for me to turn out in the whites, so I will just have to see how  we do in the next 4 matches. But if I can,t make it to Dublin I would love to defer my seat to the next national. I don"t care where it is I will travel!!
As for London or Dublin, I would much prefer to spend a weekend in Ireland than mucky smelly London!!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

linziwan

• Silver Member
  • UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »
Thanks for the reply Des - I was debating the fact whether to attend the Regionals, or not, knowing that I would be flying to Las Vegas before the Irish tournament started but I really entered for the points.  With the 9 points for the win it will put me up (hopefully) into the top 10.

Have a good time in Ireland everybody.....

PS - anyone want to buy a seat.... LOL
UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
APAT WCOAP Online Heads Up Champion 2011

wiggly

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »

The option will be to sell via the seat exchange board, otherwise we will allocate all of the World event seats prior to the event going on sale.  The seat exchange board will be open for business from 9pm on Tuesday night.

Righto, fair enough. My problem is that I have since been told by a friend of mine that I"d already committed to her birthday on the 14th. So, I can either annoy her or try and exchange the seat. I"d love to play it, and would use the cash from the qualifier to pay my way there but I think I"d rather not annoy her.

So, my preference in order is something like:

- exchange seat for one in the World"s event.

- exchange seat for one in next season"s events (I know this is probably not possible)

- sell seat

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 12:02:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply Des - I was debating the fact whether to attend the Regionals, or not, knowing that I would be flying to Las Vegas before the Irish tournament started but I really entered for the points.  With the 9 points for the win it will put me up (hopefully) into the top 10.

Have a good time in Ireland everybody.....

PS - anyone want to buy a seat.... LOL

Hope you have a great time in Vegas Linda.  Enjoy.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »

Brag post!!!

;D

wasn"t meant to be  :-[  just tellin the truth  8)

I know - but brag away anyway!!  Better than a bad-beat story isn"t it?!

Baldus New

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 17:53:35 PM »
Hi there, I"m quite new to all this, as I"ve only attended 3 regionals but was lucky enough to win a seat at Cardiff online.

Unfortunately, having attended the regional at the weekend but being lucky enough to win, I now cannot make the Dublin event due to some family issues but don"t know what to do with my seat.

Can anyone offer any assistance?

All input greatly appreciated.

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
just sell it baldus

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »
No its not cheap to fly to an event and book hotels etc. Think of us poor Irish players who want to compete in APAT events and have to travel for every event bar one, the Irish. Now it seems as if others are becoming reluctant to travel to Ireland. I wonder how long it will take before the Irish National goes the way of the Irish Regional events, there hasn"t been one in season 2!

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 13:28:03 PM »
I can"t imagine that the APAT Irish Championship will disappear - it"s one of the highlights of the season.

If folk don"t want to experience the delights of Dublin, for whatever reason, then nothing anyone says is going to change their mind. Be assured though, the "usual suspects" will make the journey, and a good time will be had by all.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 13:29:46 PM by HaworthBantam »

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 13:35:10 PM »
The aim will be to target the Irish; and a number of European events proposed for scheduling next season, at the players within those specific countries.  I think APAT will have a far greater presence in Ireland next season.