Author Topic: Card Dead & Bad run from hell  (Read 3162 times)

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
Card Dead & Bad run from hell
« on: July 01, 2008, 00:25:28 AM »
2 days ago my 2 online accounts where good - nothing to retire on but a couple of hundred over each (GALA & Virgin) and i mostly play 3$ and 5$ buy in Sit n Go"s (usually shorthanded)

Been card dead all weekend and even when i bluff pre and post flop, i"m reraised or the other players have hit there hand

and when i did get cards over this weekend i must"ve ran into KK v AA 5 or 6 times, Had AA or KK cracked by guys calling all in"s with 7,8 suited and the likes or my pair"s pre flop are cracked by lower pairs or guys hitting straight or flush draws

the tactics i usually use and the normal standard stuff like raise 4 times the BB or betting 3 quarters the pot to show what i have and being sucked out with my JJ being cracked with a guy that calls with 4-8 offsuit

now both accounts have had to be reloaded - must"ve played 10 SnG"s tonight alone and been sucked out and knocked out on almost every hand

very pissed off >:(

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Card Dead & Bad run from hell
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 01:49:26 AM »
dont bluff much at 3 dollar and 5 dollar full stop

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:58:26 AM »
I started a thread last week about playing badly, and then getting my act together and playing well again, but still getting sucked out on.
Got lots of support saying so long as you continue to do things right things will get better, and over the last few days that has happened, winning in cash, and cashing in SNGs.
So stick with it!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »
There seems to a big emphasis in your post on playing bluffs. As Chris says, bluffing is a useless tactic in this level of SNGs.... in fact in the early stages of a SNG, persistent bluffing is fairly useless at any level up!   Much better off just playing like the ultimate rock until the blinds are sufficiently high that they become worth stealing.

For me SNGs are two gear affairs, without much room for poker. Ubertight in the early stages, raising only with AA/KK, and potentially calling in position with AK/QQ/JJ type hands, but being ready to fold if the flop is unfavourable.....  then when you get to around level 6 where BB is typically going to be around 5th of stack in you haven"t yet played a hand, it becomes a game of shove or fold. 

This is a very boring way of playing poker, but for SNGs it returns a reasonable ITM %age - I"m running at around 50% - 60% ITM, with a circa 15% ROI, and that"s more than I make from playing cash!  Granted, you will get called and lose every now and again with your push and fold, but more often than not your shoves will get through, and with a bit of luck you will get called on the time that you shove with a real hand.

To relieve the boredom, multitable the SNGs..... but, don"t start 6 games at the same time as if you get to the latter stages in all of them, you can"t pay any of them proper attention. 6 Headsup in one go is tough. I play 6 at a time, but start them 5 mins apart.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
Thats great advice for turbos and as a general rule the slower sit n gos as well although you can play a bit more in the early stages of those.

Eck

• Silver Member

troubled joe

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 13:48:01 PM »

For me SNGs are two gear affairs, without much room for poker. Ubertight in the early stages, raising only with AA/KK, and potentially calling in position with AK/QQ/JJ type hands, but being ready to fold if the flop is unfavourable.....

I have tended to broadly stick to this approach in the early stages and happily fold/proceed very cautiously with mid pairs/AQ/AJ when facing a raise, but wonder if advice above is a little too tight (assume you mean re-raising only with AA/KK and would open raise with a wider range).

I"ve started to think it"s worth calling with a much wider range in position (e.g. any pair, most suited connectors, some one-gappers, suited aces) to get the chance to win large pots and build a good stack for the middle stages.  Although I don"t play a huge number of sit & gos, I"m finding that in the $20-$30 games on Pokerstars, a lot of players are prepared to play for all their chips at the first couple of levels with top pair (or worse).

Seems to me that from an equity point of view, it"s worth risking up to p"raps 500 chips (from a 1,500 starting stick) in the first couple of levels for the chance of doubling up.  When you get to level 4 - 50/100 - I don"t think there"s much difference between a stack of around 1,400-1,500 and one of around 1,000.  Building a stack of 2,500+ gives plenty of scope to push around the smaller stacks and build up enough of a cushion to be able to lose the first - often inevitable - coin flip and still stand a good chance of cashing. 

Also, Pokerstars has two 100/200 levels (25 ante kicks in on the 2nd one), so you have plenty of play in the middle stages if you can build a decent stack early, giving ample opportunity to manouevre for the lead prior to heads up.

Just my two penneth and I don"t have a large successful sample or detailed analysis to back it up at this stage.  Would be interested to get people"s thoughts.

EDIT: agree that there"s very little value in bluffing at the first couple of levels and that general principle of tightening up considerably early on is great advice for Longshanks
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 13:52:44 PM by troubled joe »

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 04:56:46 AM »
cheers for the replies guys

im not a big bluffer - but have had reasonable success at it - more so at smaller levels when players are a bit looser (i find anyway) - but i do know where your coming about tight in the early levels - and generally i am

the main gripe was how i would put in a significant raise with, say, JJ and called

then all rags on the flop, i go all in to be called 7-10 off suit, but he hits running cards to give him trips (when he/she hasnt paired the flop) or flush"s

i dont mind getting beat when i am beat, but being sucked out really gets my goat, especially when out of maybe 30 (at least) SnG"s over the weekend i lose out on virtually everyone when i"m favourite in the hand, pre and post flop, just for some donkey to hand me a bad beat

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 06:30:50 AM »
Be happy that your getting ur money in good and that the players are bad enough to put their money in drawing close to dead or with marginal hands and realise in the long run it will even itself out. Variance is a biatch, you just gotta either take a break for a few days or whatever or play through the bad patch and results will eventuallly pick up