Author Topic: Poker sites  (Read 7807 times)

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Poker sites
« on: June 18, 2008, 21:13:36 PM »
Besides Blue Square obviously which poker sites are a must for any online poker player?

Mr Tubbs

Re: Poker sites
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 21:41:40 PM »
Pokerstars for value Will hill for good cheap comp every 30 mins for us small stake players
Its better to be lucky than good(And i'm neither)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
Depends what format you prefer. I play cash on the iPoker network (I use either Titan or BSQ), but can"t find anything better than PokerStars for tournament play, both STT and MTT.

MTT Tournaments on iPoker are just a terrible structure..... any buy in less than $50, and you tend to get tiny starting stacks and fairly quick blinds, and no antes. The APAT and BSQ League games are ok with more chips and 15 min blinds though.

MTTs at PokerStars typically provide a larger starting stack (3000 for the daily $55 game at 20:00 BST) and 15 minute blinds, plus running ante"s from the 100/200 level.... they also include many intermediary levels (75/150, 150/300, etc).

STTs at Stars are particularly easy to cash in if you stick to buy in of $60 or less. My ITM rating on these is 75%+...... can"t get anywhere near that in STTs on iPoker or Boss networks.

Generally, the BOSS network is about the worst I"ve even seen. The play is usually very weak meaning it"s relatively easy to turn a profit, but the graphics are just awful.

At the end of the day though, you just need to hunt around and try a few.... you will discover which you prefer. I think I have accounts at around 20 sites now - typically I hunted for the bonuses and opened accounts to earn those bonuses, and during those intro periods I was able to determine where I preferred to play.  Also, if you track your play either in a purchased package, or in a simple Excel workbook, you will soon be able to identify where you make profits and in which sort of game..... and that will help to dictate which sites you prefer to play at.

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 16:34:08 PM »
Has to be Stars for MTTs and 180 seat S&Gs - best structure and most players by far.  Also their deepstack tourneys are the nuts if you have about 15 hours spare.

That said you are never going to get the value of iPoker sites who manage to consistently over guarantee especially satallites so they do have more potential in that respect but the structure I find is pretty poo (although i seem to do better on them?).

Just started experimenting with FullTilt - undecided so far but the structure again seems a bit too fast for my liking.

Ladbrokes is reasonable but not enough low cost MTTs for me.

PKR is great (at crashing my laptop), so soft but so frustrating, I just dont have the patience to take their money.

Basically played most sites and always go back to stars.

BobbyMorton

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 18:17:20 PM »
Must agree Poker Stars is where I play most but the poorest site I find is Betfair its the only site I keep getting kicked of and there are always a few disconnected during a tournament.
Telmison4 at Bluesquare
thebestthere  at 888

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 18:58:01 PM »
It suprises me how many people play on poker stars.. not that its a bad thing, but just the fact that you dont get any kind of loyalty/rakeback payments..

Ipoker sucks i know, but most of the games are pretty soft.. whatever site you play on, I think a lot of people dont give it enough time, u have to play the site as much as the other players.. Crack that, and your bankroll will go up..

I have to agree with bobby though, for such a large company which make millions (i think), why their poker software is so bad i dont know.. I always get emails asking me to give my feedback on the site, and everytime I give them the same answer..  ???  but the software never seems to get better no matter how many free $10 they give me to spin up..

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 19:10:16 PM »
Dont get me started on Betfair.  They ring me every couple of months and ask why I"m not playing on my account. Every month I tell them that their software is cr@p and they say they know and are constantly improving it. They give me $10 to go back and play and there is no change (granted they have slightly improved the betting).

Who told them this is what poker players wanted in the first place?

Does anyone prefer their software to any others? ???

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 19:44:22 PM »

It suprises me how many people play on poker stars.. not that its a bad thing, but just the fact that you dont get any kind of loyalty/rakeback payments

have you heard of fpps? use them wisely grasshopper

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 19:58:51 PM »

Hi Mal

I have seen quite a few discussions about these,are they better than rakeback.. I know you can use them to buy stuff, but im not really into advertising one of the biggest sites for free (dont mind smaller sites like blonde).. or can you exchange them for cash.. I have looked at them, but cant seem to work anything out

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 20:28:32 PM »

Hi Mal

I have seen quite a few discussions about these,are they better than rakeback.. I know you can use them to buy stuff, but im not really into advertising one of the biggest sites for free (dont mind smaller sites like blonde).. or can you exchange them for cash.. I have looked at them, but cant seem to work anything out

u can buy a porsche for a few million points,of course to do this u need to play 10plus high stakes games at once for a decent period of time.
or u can use them to sattelite into many online or live games.
i suppose the reason i like them is because of the success i had with them when i turned 30fpps into an ept appearence all laid on by stars. the memories from that trip are priceless.
so slightly biased but heyho

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 20:58:08 PM »
If you"re playing poker to earn freebies and bonuses, well...............

BUT, if you"re playing poker to earn money, and play some good proper poker, then Stars is as good as it gets. 

I guess it depends on what you want out of the game.

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 21:03:54 PM »

BUT, if you"re playing poker to earn money, and play some good proper poker, then Stars is as good as it gets. 

any fulltime cash game grinder needs rakeback,some weeks thats the only profit

sopranoltd

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 21:56:43 PM »

any fulltime cash game grinder needs rakeback,some weeks thats the only profit
Hi , i play my cash games at fulltilt , my SNGs at poker stars and my MTTs at Littlewoods . I have won the £2. Thunder tourneys 12 times in 3 months pf playing there. I have also done well at the £10 Head hunters tourney cashing another 6 times . So this is what i suggest , as someone stated before , you have to play at all of them and find out where you feel comfortable playing certain games and coming away profitable . My cash games at fulltilt are going strong , i have moved up 3 levels in less than 8 months of play ,My SNGs at stars are doin good with an ROI of 22% . I will tell you one things for sure though >>> PATIENCE ..... As far as Bluesquare poker goes , I wouldnt play there even if they paid me . I was very upset to see the APAT leave stars and go to bluesq. I tried to sign up to that site and they gave me hassle . At which point i never went or intend to go back . Good luck in finding your comfort zone on the felt.

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 22:35:47 PM »

Dont get me started on Betfair.  They ring me every couple of months and ask why I"m not playing on my account. Every month I tell them that their software is cr@p and they say they know and are constantly improving it. They give me $10 to go back and play and there is no change (granted they have slightly improved the betting).

Who told them this is what poker players wanted in the first place?

Does anyone prefer their software to any others? ???

i downloaded betfair recently, only for the sole purpose of trying to qualify for WSOPE! seems ok, but there were people disconnected at every table i was moved to. was playing the freeroll qualifier tonight, just busted out 79th of 1245! shame only 9 make through to the next stage!! it really is a cr*p shoot though.

generally i play my poker on pokerstars. i play blue sq too, but only for the APAT events as got a bit p"d off with gettin disconnected all the time (although hasn"t happened yet during any APAT event...touch wood)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 22:38:33 PM by billyho10 »
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time"

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 23:15:27 PM »

Well I just bought a 160GB Apple iPod for 30000 FPPs....... and it doesn"t advertise PokerStars anywhere on it!!!!  It took me 5 weeks to earn those points - not a bad return.