Author Topic: Turbo SNG Question  (Read 8169 times)

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Turbo SNG Question
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:14:39 AM »
So blinds are 200 400 in a 9 man sit n go, down to six players and you have a stack of 1440 and 200 of it is now in the small blind. Folds round to the button who shoves for 585 total. you have J3 off. Big blind has 3555 chips, whats the best play?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:20:21 AM by hi_am_chris »

biffa85

• Silver Member
Re: Turbo SNG Question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
I think you mean you are in the small blind.

Well it would cost you 385 to call - nearly a quarter of your remaining stack, which doesn"t guarantee you seeing the flop, as the bb may wake up with a hand that plays better hu, or they may decide to try and either kill two birds with one stone or knock you out of the pot leaving your 585 as dead money.  You don"t have a hand that you can raise with, so your only option is to fold this weak holding.  The bb should call with any two as it only cost him 185.

The thought that you should call increasing the likelyhood that you will knock the allin player out doesn"t hold water as it costs you too much of your stack and still leaves 5 players.  If you were holding any pair, any two j10 or above then you could push yourself to isolate and play the hand either hu against original pusher with the 400 as dead money from the bb, or with a main pot of 1755 against two and a side pot against bb for 2110, so as long as you beat the bb you gain and if you scoop you"ll have a stack of 3865 and be well placed to make the money and be pushing for 1st.

;D
Still learn the science and practicing the art

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »
A great question. I still cant decide between call, fold and shove  ???

I think there are arguments for each option.

fold because BB is still to act and your hand is weak despite pot odds and your stack is small (but not beyond repair)

shove because the BB is most likely to fold then and you have half a chance in the show down and will not be totally crippled (by SNG standards)

call only if you have a read on BB that tells you he will only shove with a premium and is most likely to check it down when he calls.

In terms of likeliness of outcomes, I am siding with "fold".........just.

what did the STT god "hi_am_chris" do?
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:02:55 AM »
I forgot to add IMO....

;D

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:05:58 AM »
am i the only person that thinks this is a insta fold  ???......u have J3o!! ur J high may be beatin the button (maybe) but why take the risk with such poor holdings and the bb still to act. even if the button has say 5/6 ur still only a 60/40 fav and could be leavin uself with only 2 1/2 bb if u lose. thats just my opinion but im super tight  ;)
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time"

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 09:36:53 AM »
lol yeah i did mean the small blind, it should have changed now. i just thought it was debatable what the best play was. I dont like calling because as biffa pointed out its only 185 chips then to make a call getting immense pot odds but then im not sure which is best out of isolating or folding. The button could have absolutely anything including hands i beat, but he has also got a round at the table to wait for a hand. If fold ive got 1240 and am going to have to find a place to shove in the next 4/5 hands. if i isolate and assume the big blind is going to have to have 2 pictures type hand or a pair to call (hes probably folding k5 types hand and possibly even hands like q9 j9 etc then i get to play a pot where for 385 chips more i can win the bb of 400 + my 200 + the buttons 585, so 1185 in total. im then getting 3 to 1 in a pot where some of the time i have the best hand and most of the time im only 38/62 dog or whatever, looking back now i think its probably a fold but i still think its kinda close

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 09:38:35 AM »
Insta fold for me, bb still to act, J3os isnt a strong hand at all and wi 6 left, better to find a more favourable opportunity to get the chips in.
Mary Kivlin

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:41:38 AM »
No decision deffo fold! You can wait for a far better spot.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »
ur thinkin with the pot odds etc is spot on. its also fair to say the bb may realise what ur doin and with his/her stack he is likely to call with any ace or picture cards with the chance of knockin out two players with out riskin even half his stack? obvioulsy the blinds are forcin the action here, but im with mary and would be lookin for a better spot.

im guessin by the tone of ur last email chris u pushed and it didnt work out? tell me, tell me, im chokin to know what happened...what did "hero" do  :P  

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:55:50 AM »
an advantage of pushing jack high is that if the the big blind does decide to call they are more likely to have an ace x or kingx type hand than they are jackx. i was multitabling at the time so dint have that much time to think which is why im going back over it now, i think i thought the button had like 100 chips less so i would still have 950 chips or w.e and then i think its a def shove, with those blinds its not a huge difference whether you have 950 or 1240, still gonna have to get it in in the next round and double through. Anyways i decided to isolate and the button had a5 and the big blind woke up with ace ten and i spiked a jack on the turn  ;D I still think the big blind is folding a huge percentage of his range there though

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:07:51 AM »
the great thing bout poker is so many people will play the same hand diff. and have good reasons for their action, its hard to say there is a correct and final decision cos who knows what the board will bring  :)

at least this worked out for you in the end  ;D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 10:34:38 AM »
Cannot call here - either fold or shove, but with BB having such big stack, your shove could end up getting an instacall from hiim putting you at risk with a horrible hand. 

For me, this is an easy fold. Let the BB call and knock out or double up the short stack..... stay out of the way and protect what"s left of the rest of your stack.

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:42:27 AM »

am i the only person that thinks this is a insta fold  ???......

I can"t have been clear....I would fold and find a better spot for the reasons I listed, but also I"m a tight, tight player.....no don"t laugh!

;D

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 10:50:07 AM »
hmmm well at least my reraises will get respect on thursday and saturday nights from now on....

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 14:06:52 PM »
im super tight  ;)

still lolling now ;D
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D