Author Topic: Ace - Jack, It's not just me !!!!  (Read 4124 times)

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Ace - Jack, It's not just me !!!!
« on: July 06, 2008, 11:16:53 AM »
Glad I"m not the only one who can"t play AJ  ;D >:(

See report below from Cardplayer.com:

The under the gun player in seat 6 raised to 1,200 before the flop, immediately striking up a repartee with Sammy Farha who sat two seats to his left. Sammy looked at him and smiled, saying "This could be it," and tossing in his call. No one else was interested in playing the hand, and the two players went heads up to the flop. The dealer placed J32 on the felt, and Farha"s opponent quickly led out for 2,200. Sammy called without much hesitation, and the two continued to talk. The turn brought the Q. "How much did I bet last time?" asked the under the gun player, who then announced another bet, this time for 4,600. Sammy called once again, continuing to smile wryly at his opponent as he stared him down. The river brought an innocent looking 7, as well as an all-in shove from seat 6 for nearly 30,000, who started yelling "Rebuy!" and talking to Sammy about his plans for the dinner break. He continued to chatter incessantly, talking about earlier hands and his plans for that evening. Sammy continued to stare him down, asking "Are you bluffing?" This prompted a stream of talk about Sammy"s lucky cigarette. Farha stacked and restacked his chips, counting them and contemplating his move. A large collection of railbirds came to perch by the table as the gravity of the situation became noticeable. Eventually, after several minutes of fast talk, Sammy moved his chips into the center of the table, making the call. His opponent showed KQ for turned top pair. Sammy simply smiled, turned over AJ, and made his way out of the room. Seat 6 raked in the huge pot, and continued to chatter excitedly about how brilliantly he had played the hand.

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Ace - Jack, It's not just me !!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:25:06 AM »

A re-raise by Farha on the flop might well have seen him take that one down - top pair, top kicker. Calling is giving his opponent a free card...... but what do I know....?

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:52:27 PM »
Not like Farha to mis-read that so badly and play the hand as grim as he did. The guy"s one of the best in the world and could"ve been behind to so many under-the-gun raised hands and he never asked the question by re-raising, ultimately costing him his tournament coz he never knew where he was in the hand.
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 13:21:24 PM »
Is he one of the best hodem players in the world though?

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »

Is he one of the best hodem players in the world though?

Probably better in cash games than tournament tbh

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:35:37 PM »
Had Sammy"s opponent had AK, we would be talking about what a hero call and great read on Sammy"s part. Maybe Sammy"s trademark, unlit cigarette whispered "call, call".

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 13:26:07 PM »

Had Sammy"s opponent had AK, we would be talking about what a hero call and great read on Sammy"s part. Maybe Sammy"s trademark, unlit cigarette whispered "call, call".

Had he made a reasonable raise on the flop when he had top pair/top kicker he probably would"ve taken the pot, or at the very least given himself information about the strength of the other hand.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 14:16:25 PM »

Had he made a reasonable raise on the flop when he had top pair/top kicker he probably would"ve taken the pot, or at the very least given himself information about the strength of the other hand.

Did the all-in shove not give him any information?
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 15:25:17 PM »

Did the all-in shove not give him any information?

Absolutely Daniel, totally agree. Unfortunately for Farha he went behind on the turn and the hand shouldn"t have gone that far. By the time the all in hit the felt, Farha had already stupidly called bets that totalled 9k. The flop bet of 2.2k should"ve been raised by Sammy before the guy had a chance to hit his queen (or king)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 16:38:46 PM »
I don"t think it was necessarily a mistake before then - the mistake he made was calling the all-in. 

If he wants the other player to bluff at the pot and stick more chips in whilst he"d behind, then the call was the right play.  Of course, that"s dependent on being able to lay the hand down on later streets if you think you"ve gone behind.

I"m rubbish - so I"d have raised on the flop hoping to end the hand there and then.  Sammy was looking to get his opponent to make a mistake (or mistakes), but he managed to get himself all mixed up.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 16:59:09 PM »
I"m like you Daniel, but only more rubbish   ;D

I"m sure I"d have made a fairly substantial raise on the flop when it came Jack high, probably to about 6.5k at least. Would the other guy have called another 4k unless he also had a Jack, a bigger pocket pair or trips? I doubt very much he would, unless there was a flush draw possible (which we don"t know!). Farha could then have taken the pot there and then.

Better to win a small pot than lose a big one! Slow playing can kill and should only be attempted by people like Sammy who have money to burn  :D

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 17:03:47 PM »

Agree with Dan and Mr Sheen - although sorry boys, but I win the "most rubbish" title.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 17:39:56 PM »

Agree with Dan and Mr Sheen - although sorry boys, but I win the "most rubbish" title.

This humility is cracking me up, is there a comp coming up or something  ;D

anyway given my supertight game I would have put the fecker all in on the flop so there ..... (no wonder I"m 125/1 for the forum)