Author Topic: Online tournement Strategies  (Read 5761 times)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
Online tournement Strategies
« on: July 14, 2008, 18:21:44 PM »
Just wondering if any of you guys have diff tournement strategies for differents sites that you"ve really found successful?

The tourny structure"s is soo different across the sites that I reckon it warrents different types of play accordingly.

On UB (not exposing my my ID!!) I wont play any face cards for the first 5 or 6 levels - just numbers with difference of 4 or less to chase straight draws, then i might shift to flush draw chasing if i"ve been in a few show downs and then premium cards when the antes kick in! Works quite well for me but then I do a a lot of freerolling. This is probably my most successful way of getting into top 13-16% and then I usually get called making a stopid numnuts play.

Anyone else have one strategy that the only use on a particular site? Wanna trade!!! lol

TPTP

Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: Online tournement Strategies
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 21:55:38 PM »
on UB i just use my superuser account, its much easier
Looking forward to making my first day 2

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 22:10:40 PM »

Absolutely.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 22:27:28 PM »

Absolutely.

Read this post, got to third paragraph, read the letters UB, thought how long will it take for Kin to post on this thread, and he didn"t disappoint.

Absolutely no doubt about it, he"s the ultimate forum superuser.  ;D

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 23:30:27 PM »
Whats a superuser account?

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 23:36:58 PM »
Just googled it.

In hindsight maybe UB wasnt the greatest example to start this thread with!

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »
Its actually a very valid question to be honest, as I am someone who feels you have to play the site as much as the players or the cards.

My username is the same everywhere, so no need for me to say how I play sites, but its something that all players should consider. I should imagine that a lot of people are like me and have quite a few poker accounts on their desktop, but I have found that I have got better by sticking to one site and learning how the sites play

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
Aha.. validity! I find that I go through phases of playing on diff sites, and occasionally jumping ship when there"s a gud promotion on.

Maybe I should"ve worded it different.

IE Would you play the same game at PS as you would on BS?

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 14:06:42 PM »
I play STTs on BSQ and Stars.

I find the standard of play much better on stars compared to BSQ, so have these adjustments

open raises - 3x or 4x on PS but minimum 5x up to 7x on BSQ

starting hands - more speculative early on in LP on stars, but rocklike on BS.

response to early stages all-in 3 bets - will fold to them on stars unless i have KK or AA, have less respect for them on BS and have a wider calling range (especially if I am the last to act) sharkscope really helps here!!

bubble play - I attack the bubble more on stars, but play much tighter on BSQ (people will call their stack off with an amazing range of hands)

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 15:17:52 PM »

I play STTs on BSQ and Stars.

I find the standard of play much better on stars compared to BSQ, so have these adjustments

open raises - 3x or 4x on PS but minimum 5x up to 7x on BSQ

starting hands - more speculative early on in LP on stars, but rocklike on BS.

response to early stages all-in 3 bets - will fold to them on stars unless i have KK or AA, have less respect for them on BS and have a wider calling range (especially if I am the last to act) sharkscope really helps here!!

bubble play - I attack the bubble more on stars, but play much tighter on BSQ (people will call their stack off with an amazing range of hands)

And you username on these sites?  ;)

I"ve recently moved my business from Stars to Full Tilt and all i can say is WOW! What a difference in standard between the two in lower level MTTs ($5 to $30).  If I had realised I would have moved ages ago although the field sizes and number of tourneys are not quite as good the difference in quality of play makes up for it.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 15:39:53 PM »
If you"re saying the standard of play is higher at FT as opopsed to Stars, why would you want to play there? Surely it"s better to play where the fish are swimming?

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 15:40:56 PM »

If you"re saying the standard of play is higher at FT as opopsed to Stars, why would you want to play there? Surely it"s better to play where the fish are swimming?

Quite right, sorry I meant its much more fishy.

troubled joe

• Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 17:11:41 PM »
Is Full Tilt really that much softer than "Stars?  Will have to give it a go then.  I"ve recently started playing Sit & Gos on "Stars around the $30 level and I"m making a pretty good return, though it is early days.

I"m finding that most players seem to be far too rock-like in the later stages on "Stars.  For example, down to the last 3 (i.e. the Bubble) in a 6-handed game on Sunday, I got a proper tongue-lashing for re-raise shoving a button raise with my A10s (both myself and raiser had around 12-13BBs, but blinds were due to double in a few minutes) and out-drawing AK.  Seemed a no-brainer to me.  My raising range on the button is pretty much ATC at that stage and it was the first time in about 10 mins of 3-handed play that I"d re-raised him.  I was actually going to comment on him "slow rolling" me when he took about 15 seconds (an eternity online!) to make the call....

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 18:23:52 PM »

Is Full Tilt really that much softer than "Stars?  Will have to give it a go then.  I"ve recently started playing Sit & Gos on "Stars around the $30 level and I"m making a pretty good return, though it is early days.

I"m finding that most players seem to be far too rock-like in the later stages on "Stars.  For example, down to the last 3 (i.e. the Bubble) in a 6-handed game on Sunday, I got a proper tongue-lashing for re-raise shoving a button raise with my A10s (both myself and raiser had around 12-13BBs, but blinds were due to double in a few minutes) and out-drawing AK.  Seemed a no-brainer to me.  My raising range on the button is pretty much ATC at that stage and it was the first time in about 10 mins of 3-handed play that I"d re-raised him.  I was actually going to comment on him "slow rolling" me when he took about 15 seconds (an eternity online!) to make the call....

Not played too many STT on there, dont like the structure but MTTs definitely from what i"ve played

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 18:35:11 PM »
Their (full tilts) stt are described as having the best structures going, i played stars stt"s first and personally prefer their structure. I do like Full tilts structure but i think if your used to stars you do have to make some changes to the way you play to succeed on FT.