Author Topic: APAT European Amateur Team Championship  (Read 65018 times)

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
Re: APAT European Team Championship
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2008, 14:14:19 PM »

Firstly, with regards to the 4 additional countries.....this will improve the tournament and I cannot see any negatives around this for any of the UK / Irish teams.  Secondly, a bit of respect for these players please, no more talk about Hungarian grandfathers etc.

With regards to the makeup of the UK / Irish teams, looking at the most recent published rankings, I can see that the highest ranked English player that has won an APAT National event is ranked in 16th position and way off the top 4 English players.  I expect the Captains to be mature enough to look at all of the factors in determining their final selections.  I would include Rankings very much in that.  But it does lessen the hand of a Captain if they cannot choose players strategically.  That said, it would not surprise me at all if each of the UK / Irish teams are picked solely on Rankings.

Des

I was looking forward to representing England at this event and have been playing all year to get my ranking position within the top 10.....   Missed out on the team challenge as I was out of the country when invited to play so can I MAKE SURE SOMEBODY KNOWS THAT I WANT TO PLAY THIS !!

Linda,

I would hope that the above would be a sufficient announcement of your wishes.  Good luck in making the team.

Leigh

I would go further and say a player with two APAT Championship final tables, a UK Ladies title and a consistently high ranking in season two will not need an announcement to get noticed.

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
Re: APAT European Team Championship
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2008, 14:39:24 PM »

I would go further and say a player with two APAT Championship final tables, a UK Ladies title and a consistently high ranking in season two will not need an announcement to get noticed.

Here here, its good job she"s not english or us mere mortals wouldn"t stand a chance....................she"s what!!..............oh bugger :"(

Fatboydim

Re: APAT European Amateur Team Championship
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2008, 15:41:30 PM »
For those who don"t know me I"m dropping in to say Hi.

I used to be described by the bods at Paddy Power Poker as a semi-pro - semi-amateur might be more accurate. You can check out my Blog for more information on me by following the link.

http://www.fatboydim.com

As Captain of the Irish team I will be looking to appoint members from the leader board as a priority. I won"t play myself. my next game is The Irish Poker Classic at the Macau in Cork next Friday. So if anyone is playing that come up and say hello.

Thanks to Des and the team at APAT for proposing me. It"s always an honour to represent the green, white and gold.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 15:43:50 PM by Fatboydim »

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2008, 16:01:55 PM »
Welcome Len, glad to have you looking after the Irish team, who I"ll be cheering on over the weekend in Brighton.  I think that"s fair to say  :)

For anyone who hasn"t read Len"s blog, which paints a vivid portrait of poker across the pond, here is a sample.....

---

Thursday, July 31, 2008
Got A Complaint????

Players in Dublin don"t realise how lucky they are. Until recently they had four clubs to choose from - Cool Hand Lukes, The Fitzwilliam, The Sporting Emporium and The Jackpot. That"s not to mention the various games run by JP Poker, Big Slick and Poker Ireland that are all within easy reach and numerous other games in pubs clubs etc etc.

Yet the Dubs still love to complain and for the most part seem to complain about the most trivial things. Such as -
" A drunk was playing at my table and no one did anything about it!"
Sure drunks can be annoying, but they"re a great source of chips.
"The food is too expensive."
Then eat before you play - after all who goes to a poker club for the quality of the food.
"The players are rude."
As long as the Staff aren"t.

We also get a lot of complaints in the TV world. The very first episode of The Bill that I wrote back in 1991 /1992 had a single scene where a police officer eating an ice lolly was called to an emergency. In order to get moving he threw the ice lolly out the window. - The episode received a number of complaints that the officer was setting a bad example to litter bugs. I wouldn"t mind but nobody complained about the fact that someone was shot in the episode and another person was stabbed.

I also received a complaint from a gentleman who sent me a letter after an episode to tell me that the correct grammar is "I have not." and not "I ain"t". - Not on the Larkmead estate it isn"t. I got my revenge by using this gentleman"s name in an episode turning him into an illiterate paedophile.

The silliest complaint I ever heard of however was a person who complained about a Christmas episode of Casualty. His complaint? - The trees still had their leaves on. - I"m sure environmentalists would have loved the sight of the production team defoliating oak trees and the like.

So as a final word on complaints I"ll leave you with "Rigger" - "Rigger" likes a bet on the horses every single day. He"s not averse to putting a big bet on, trouble is there are three bookies in Westport and he"s fallen out with two of them Boyles and Paddy Power. He won"t go back he says. "f "em!" he harumph"s. "They"ll never see my money again." But what will happen when inevitably he falls out with Ladbrokes????

Gotta go as dinner is burning. But tomorrow I will be playing the Main Event of the Party Poker Galway Racing Festival. Check out the Pokerevents site for regular updates and I will be doing a live blog from the Eglinton on my progress.

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2008, 22:07:53 PM »
I would be proud to be considered for the Irish team, Im hoping 39 APAT points will give me a good chance.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2008, 20:59:04 PM »
I"m pleased to announce that Stuart "Sir_Percival" Oliver has accepted the post of non playing Captain of the Scottish team for the European Team Championship.  Stuart is a very experienced APAT-er having made day two of three National events and I"m sure he will do a great job of selecting the Scottish team for Brighton.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2008, 22:58:24 PM »
A good choice.  Hope you consider Chris Hoy for a place!
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 16:06:41 PM »
Hi

This is my view.

I think the membership of some of the teams is going to be very interesting. I expect to see at least 1 highly ranked APAT player per team as APAT have stipulated this in the guidelines. In terms of the professional question, the definition is clear, as long as poker is not your SOLE income then you are not professional. So I guess you could be deemed semi profession and eligible. I think the APAT loyality thing kicks in by having the opportunity to play for your country due to being high placed in the rankings, thats worth going for in my opinion. Like Newportlad, I also thought teams were going to be made up of APAT regulars, but perhaps the best ranked player having the opportunity to play with some great players and represent their country at the same time is good enough to keep playing APAT and go for that top spot. Good luck with the event APAT.

Col

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2008, 18:10:58 PM »
Hi,,,would just like to say,,this is my first season playing apat,,i was attracted by the chance of playing for england if i did well in the rankings,,as this seemed to be the main prize for playing all year.I need a pretty good finish to get near the top,but nevertheless will carry on trying.It would be disappointing therefore if the highest ranked players were not selected.I have tried a few times to register for live events,,but sadly due to my own rubbish computer skills havent managed to register yet lol,,i guess these events are where u get noticed more.I have played in the wsop main event and class myself as a pretty good player but would not wish to take the place of someone who has finished near the top of the rankings.Rankings are by far the best way to assess a player.Good luck to all who are selected,,,hope to spank u soon live lololol

nooteboom17

• Bronze Member
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 13:44:36 PM »
It seems to become a real great tourney! I"d love to win
this thing for Germany!

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2008, 15:09:38 PM »
Welcome Juergen, we"re looking forward to meeting the German team in Brighton.  Stephan believes you will win it on penalties!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 16:14:11 PM by APAT »

Friedenreich

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2008, 15:30:45 PM »

Friedshell

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2008, 16:07:27 PM »

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2008, 17:12:33 PM »
Willkommen to APAT!

Best of luck in Brighton.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

kalhamer

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2008, 18:01:52 PM »
The European Amateur Team Championship is a great opportunity for team competition beyond the borders. My team and me are looking forward to travel to Brighton and meet the players of the other teams and to stand the competition at the table.

Welcome Juergen, we"re looking forward to meeting the German team in Brighton.  Stephan believes you will win it on penalties!

;D This event will show if the Germans are able to perform well on the island in something else than soccer. But yeah ... if the competition gets too tough we"ll count on getting lucky :2d: 7s in penalties (not that we needed to)!  :D

Good luck to everyone in Brighton!

Stephan