Author Topic: APAT European Amateur Team Championship  (Read 65031 times)

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
Re: APAT European Amateur Team Championship
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 20:18:37 PM »

Well unfortunately for me, the UK Forum Championship was a non-ranking event and although I won it, I dont get ranking points for the leaderboard.

I think this is a good example of where the team captains can use a bit of judgment. Some people might be known to be good, but not scored highly in the National Championships.

I think this organisation of choosing the teams is much better than just going by the rankings, it enables the captains to look at the bigger picture rather than just APAT. Being a captain in this tournament is much more than just a honorary title, the judgment of the captains could have a real bearing on the tournament result.

I think it"s unlikely that anybody will get picked just for being friends with a team captain - this kind of thinking seriously underestimates the will to win of just about anybody who takes part in APAT tournaments. I"m extremely confident that whatever the nitty gritty details of how the teams get chosen the underlying concept that all of the team captains will have in mind will be -who are the best people to make us the most likely to win.

That"s right.  I would expect the UK based captains to be non playing, giving them a sole focus of getting their team selection and tactics right.  Therefore APAT hopefully, should not be picking any players.

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »

Exactly Jon. 

Why would someone pick a team of mates, if it meant they"d lose.  Imagine the embarrassment of losing to the Scots for example - can"t think of anything worse!

;)

Oh Dan, you have just opened a can of woop ass on urself for that comment! Ur now in Billyho"s bad book, people will soon be askin "whatever happened to daniel? i aint seen him at an APAT event in ages".....muwahahahahaha.......;)
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time"

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 13:24:49 PM »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »
Update:

The French, Hungarian and German teams are now confirmed entries.

Dewi James has accepted the post of non playing Captain of the Welsh team.  Dewi will be formulating his selection and strategy ideas over the coming weeks and a thread will be started to allow potential Welsh team members to highlight their interest in participating to Dewi.

Dewi_cool

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »

Update:

Dewi James has accepted the post of non playing Captain of the Welsh team.  Dewi will be formulating his selection and strategy ideas over the coming weeks and a thread will be started to allow potential Welsh team members to highlight their interest in participating to Dewi.

Thanks Des,

Will start that thread over the next couple of days, all you welsh lads and lasses get your cv"s ready ;)
Ex Captain Team 'Cymru'

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2008, 13:13:49 PM »
Is this a ploy to keep Dewi Sober, or will he have a vice-captain for later in the day ;D
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

Dewi_cool

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2008, 13:22:38 PM »

Is this a ploy to keep Dewi Sober, or will he have a vice-captain for later in the day ;D

I have been thinking along those lines, pleased to see I"m on the right track ::)
Ex Captain Team 'Cymru'

theflop

Re: APAT European Team Championship
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2008, 14:29:04 PM »
(Sorry, I didn"t have internet for a couple of days.)

Negreanu is from Transylvania, which is in Romania, but belonged to Hungary before the 1st WW, so his grandma was Hungarian therefore he speaks some Hungarian (namely 2 words and they are not nice words :D)

isnt negraneu romanian????  ???

theflop

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2008, 14:38:50 PM »
I would like to confirm that the Hungarian team is going to fly 4 players for the event from Hungary.

Update:

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2008, 15:23:04 PM »

As with Mary, we may well crown our World Amateur Champion in a couple of weeks time and find that he cannot get within miles of a team spot.  Now, that may be right, however I think it is correct that the captain should have the final decision on team makeup.

I will bear that particular cross with extreme fortitude  ::)

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2008, 21:04:26 PM »
Update:

I"m pleased to announce that Alan Lake has accepted the post of Captain of the English team for the European Team Championship. 

Similarly, long time APAT member Len Collin has been appointed Captain of the Irish team.

On the European front, Viktoria Szilasi has been appointed Captain of the Hungarian team while Jean-Michel Ballocchi has been appointed Captain of the French team and Stephan Kalhamer has been appointed Captain of the German team.

Further appointments will be announced in the near future.  

morlspin

• Silver Member
    • morlspin
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2008, 23:29:26 PM »
Good Luck Alan!

How your gonna pick the team from the amount of decent players we have is beyond me, best of luck tho!

Update:

I"m pleased to announce that Alan Lake has accepted the post of Captain of the English team for the European Team Championship. 

Similarly, long time APAT member Len Collin has been appointed Captain of the Irish team.

On the European front, Viktoria Szilasi has been appointed Captain of the Hungarian team while Jean-Michel Ballocchi has been appointed Captain of the French team and Stephan Kalhamer has been appointed Captain of the German team.

APAT Northern Regional Champion 2008
APAT ECAOP Online Player of the Series 2012

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »

Good Luck Alan!

How your gonna pick the team from the amount of decent players we have is beyond me, best of luck tho!

Update:

Thankyou and you"re right it will not be an easy task. I will certainly be leaving all decisions until the conclusion of the season 3 online and live ranking events.

The following was added to APAT's original post on this thread, and is quoted here for the benefit of those who have not seen it...

In a change from the original announcement, Captains will be able to pick four players of their choosing but it is anticipated that they will choose (at least) their leading compatriot from the APAT National Rankings.  APAT will provide Captains with performance based information where requested.

I happen to believe that this is absolutetly a fair and proper thing to do. And so, subject to that individual wanting to take part in the event, that is one of the four places taken care of. Note: At this moment in time I have not studied the rankings to see who is top, or who may be well placed to move into top spot... nor do I know the nationality of any of them!

As for the selection process for the remaining three places... well, I shall be using a mixture of scientific analysis and other tried and tested selection methods... I am currently scouring ebay for a set of Runes and a crystal ball.

Cheers,
8)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

linziwan

• Silver Member
  • UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »

Firstly, with regards to the 4 additional countries.....this will improve the tournament and I cannot see any negatives around this for any of the UK / Irish teams.  Secondly, a bit of respect for these players please, no more talk about Hungarian grandfathers etc.

With regards to the makeup of the UK / Irish teams, looking at the most recent published rankings, I can see that the highest ranked English player that has won an APAT National event is ranked in 16th position and way off the top 4 English players.  I expect the Captains to be mature enough to look at all of the factors in determining their final selections.  I would include Rankings very much in that.  But it does lessen the hand of a Captain if they cannot choose players strategically.  That said, it would not surprise me at all if each of the UK / Irish teams are picked solely on Rankings.

Des

I was looking forward to representing England at this event and have been playing all year to get my ranking position within the top 10.....   Missed out on the team challenge as I was out of the country when invited to play so can I MAKE SURE SOMEBODY KNOWS THAT I WANT TO PLAY THIS !!
UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
APAT WCOAP Online Heads Up Champion 2011

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2008, 14:09:09 PM »

Firstly, with regards to the 4 additional countries.....this will improve the tournament and I cannot see any negatives around this for any of the UK / Irish teams.  Secondly, a bit of respect for these players please, no more talk about Hungarian grandfathers etc.

With regards to the makeup of the UK / Irish teams, looking at the most recent published rankings, I can see that the highest ranked English player that has won an APAT National event is ranked in 16th position and way off the top 4 English players.  I expect the Captains to be mature enough to look at all of the factors in determining their final selections.  I would include Rankings very much in that.  But it does lessen the hand of a Captain if they cannot choose players strategically.  That said, it would not surprise me at all if each of the UK / Irish teams are picked solely on Rankings.

Des

I was looking forward to representing England at this event and have been playing all year to get my ranking position within the top 10.....   Missed out on the team challenge as I was out of the country when invited to play so can I MAKE SURE SOMEBODY KNOWS THAT I WANT TO PLAY THIS !!

Linda,

I would hope that the above would be a sufficient announcement of your wishes.  Good luck in making the team.

Leigh