Author Topic: is it important to cash ?.  (Read 2471 times)

mrmacacan

• Bronze Member
    • Chorley Poker League
is it important to cash ?.
« on: August 25, 2008, 19:41:28 PM »
Entered the £30 d/c f/o at Blackpool G on Sunday night 120+ runners.
Not a bad event, I lasted to about 53rd or so, the wife got 27th.

While sat at a table two players were talking about another player in some other tournament.
One stated that this guy had played for about 8 hours and said that he had cashed, I can"t remember what the amount was but the other guy
Said "what a waste of time, he might as well get a job with minimum wage"
Don't get me wrong, I don"t know the full details but that statement got me thinking.

What am I in poker for ?.

I know a lot of players, some are all out to win money others are not.

I play for the pure fun of the game any winnings are a complete bonus.
All I see bigger tourney's as, are bigger and better players to play against
and learn off (in most cases).

Take my Garage games, £20 f/o, so its £20 + my cans, say a tenner at the most for my cans, little cash game after, another tenner on a bad night.
That's £40 for a good night out, a good laugh great entertainment for 5+ hours with a
chance of winning.
If I win fantastic if I don't tough.
The thing that matters is did I play well, did I play well and lose or play bad and was lucky to win.
I feel good if I played well, done the right moves at the right times, if I get sucked out on then so be it, I still feel good.
When I fancy a gamble I go to the bookies.

So how much would 5 hours entertainment cost on some thing else.

Pictures ?
Bowling ?
A gigg ?
Paint ball or some thing like ?
A day out ?
A meal ?

And so on, I understand the differences but it's still paid past times.

Would my game improve if I changed the way that I look at it ?.

Just a few of my thoughts.
Cheers

mrmacacan.

Possibly the best Home Games in the UK: 

http://www.chorleypokerleague.com/

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: is it important to cash ?.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 20:31:53 PM »
Imho, from what you"ve typed, you have a healthy outlook on the game and what you want from it.

If you find yourself in a position of winning big sometime in the (near) future I think your attitude will stand you in good stead. You appear to be learning from the games you do play, and having fun along the way.

If I was in the game purely for the money then I"d stick to the home games I"m involved with, I"m plenty in profit there. But, I like playing the APAT Nationals, I"ve played 8 and not made a single day 2, no money. Am I concerned ? No, I enjoy the company, I enjoy the experience, and I like to think I"m learning from the many people I"ve played against.

Hopefully these experiences will help me the next time.....

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 20:41:58 PM »
i enjoy the social side for sure of poker..I go to live events to simple play live..never look to cash a)..im not good enough yet b)if i have no expectations then any else is a bonus
Any poker winnings i get online pays for live events (or thats the theory) and my home game profits go to the missus, and paying for the poker garage conversion

so while im enjoying playing, im not overly fussed on making any kind of decent cash...maybe when i get better (and more disciploned) then i"ll try to cash at live events i guess...

just love playing
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 20:56:34 PM »

Imho, from what you"ve typed, you have a healthy outlook on the game and what you want from it.

If you find yourself in a position of winning big sometime in the (near) future I think your attitude will stand you in good stead. You appear to be learning from the games you do play, and having fun along the way.

If I was in the game purely for the money then I"d stick to the home games I"m involved with, I"m plenty in profit there. But, I like playing the APAT Nationals, I"ve played 8 and not made a single day 2, no money. Am I concerned ? No, I enjoy the company, I enjoy the experience, and I like to think I"m learning from the many people I"ve played against.

Hopefully these experiences will help me the next time.....

I have collapsed in a ball and I can"t get up   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

however nice post

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 20:58:38 PM »
no seriously it"s a good post and I agree totally

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 21:03:27 PM »

I don"t rely on experience against you Ger, just luck  ;D

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 21:11:50 PM »

... but the other guy
Said "what a waste of time, he might as well get a job with minimum wage" ...

If poker is his job then this is relevant.

If poker is his hobby then he has a hobby that costs  less than nothing to partake in - how many people can claim that?
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

oneill1970

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 21:25:18 PM »
Agreed.  It"s my hobby, I have fun, it"s social, I sometimes make money from it, I enjoy the intellectual challenge (really!), I aim to improve, it"s usually cheaper than the pub... :)

I was giving a friend some advice this morning (he"s just got the bug) and asked him where else he could get so much fun for so little money.  We don"t all have to be professionals, and most of us will probably earn more from our jobs than we do from poker, but that shouldn"t ever stop us playing.  Whatever your job, you should spend your free time doing something you enjoy.

Shuffle them cards...!
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.