Author Topic: The Turner Prize  (Read 5519 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
The Turner Prize
« on: September 29, 2008, 18:36:54 PM »
Now please excuse my ignorance but lumps of glass, films of felix the fecking cat, and a couple of Tesco checkouts is not art.

I don"t care how much spin they put on it - how much the critics enthuse, it"s shiite, the Emporers new clothes,  we must be seen to like it or be branded ignorant.

One critic said "You can take whatever interperation you like"

OK I will, its pure and utter pants

No doubt the more educated and discerning of APAT members will argue I am wrong.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: The Turner Prize
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 19:05:06 PM »

Now please excuse my ignorance but lumps of glass, films of felix the fecking cat, and a couple of Tesco checkouts is not art.

I don"t care how much spin they put on it - how much the critics enthuse, it"s shiite, the Emporers new clothes,  we must be seen to like it or be branded ignorant.

One critic said "You can take whatever interperation you like"

OK I will, its pure and utter pants

No doubt the more educated and discerning of APAT members will argue I am wrong.

Wot he said.

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 19:16:09 PM »

Wow, nice outburst Ger. I had to google Turner Prize to see what the fuss was about.

Erm.....ok.....think I must be ignorant as well.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 20:25:09 PM »

Wow, nice outburst Ger. I had to google Turner Prize to see what the fuss was about.

Erm.....ok.....think I must be ignorant as well.

No Ian that shows you have taste

Anyone who thinks that is art has all their taste in their mouths, and some sick, twisted, moneybagged moron will pay thousands for that shiite

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 21:56:58 PM »

You"re wrong.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 22:06:15 PM »

You"re wrong.

John I am surprised -- go on then tell me why my eyes deceive me

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 22:12:15 PM »
Most of it most of the time is short term fashionable tripe.

My favourite painters are pre-raphaelite so it takes a lot for me to like any modern garbage, very occasionally something stands out - but not this year, it"s all shiite.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 22:27:10 PM »
Had to look it up as well. Even the art-world isn"t necessarily on board this time. The Times" Chief Art Critic Rachel Campbell-Johnston said: "This Turner prize is going to be very, very confusing." On the checkouts: "On one level it is very intellectual and you go down lanes that you have to know all about art history to even begin to get. At the other level - a collage is the polite word, a clutter is the rude word." Duke has another word.

5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 22:39:18 PM »
i can remember when a guy won it for turning a light on and off in a room...think it was meant to symolize something..

utter b*****cks

competition for pretentious indiots

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 23:01:10 PM »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 17:55:37 PM »
And we have a "winner"

The key motifs of the work of Mark Leckey, who creates footage based on  contemporary culture, are desire and transformation. According to judges, he uses his "own state of being" - an artist in London who grew up in northern England in the 1980s - to explore those motifs "He celebrates the imagination of the individual and our potential to inhabit, reclaim or animate an idea, a space, or an object," they added.

He submitted Felix the Cat on TV FFS.  Nuff said

rubertoe

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 18:32:16 PM »

And we have a "winner"

The key motifs of the work of Mark Leckey, who creates footage based on  contemporary culture, are desire and transformation. According to judges, he uses his "own state of being" - an artist in London who grew up in northern England in the 1980s - to explore those motifs "He celebrates the imagination of the individual and our potential to inhabit, reclaim or animate an idea, a space, or an object," they added.

He submitted Felix the Cat on TV FFS.  Nuff said

A drawing of "felix the cat" done by the original Artist ("insert name" - i cant be bothered to google it) would be considered Art IMO - not some fella watching it on TV and calling it art!![
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 21:36:09 PM by lukybugur »
Lifes tough, its even tougher when your stupid

North London Poker Club

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 13:52:30 PM »
This is art:

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 15:08:45 PM »
I"ll play the role of devils advocate and put forward a defence towards art,when i was at school two of my favourite subjects were History and Art.
What is the point of art ? imo it is imagination, it is about being creative and thinking on different levels.
What has art given us the human race ? Before mankind became imaginative - humans did not have the capability to wonder or be curious about the mysteries that surrounded them. The human brain had not yet evolved the necessary cells and pathways to be capable of absract imagination. The Neandertals were extremely intelligent beings but were not capable of Human Imagination,so in a way imagination,being creative or just challenging society"s views and beliefs through art or the arts, has shaped society as we know it today in western culture. 
Society"s or should i say goverments even in recent times have tried to ban or suppress art - the nazis did it, Hitler saw it as a war against imagination and the vision of the other,this being something that he believed would bring the masses under his control.The communists in Russia [stalin] and china [Chairman Mao Zedong - died 1976 thank god] until recently all raged a war towards art,all in the belief that it created free thinking !!
Modernist art began in the sixties and has changed everyones views on what art is,you can blame Andy Warhol for that.Now what is classed as art is very broad but it still involves imagination and free thinking something that the art police,those of the fine arts still cant accept.

The turner prize harms no one,why ridicule it ?

so ends my argument  ;D

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 15:38:29 PM »

This is art:

Dan,

Please tell me that"s Guinness.   ;D

What"s on your mind indeed !!