Author Topic: Advice for novice and new poker players  (Read 4572 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
Advice for novice and new poker players
« on: October 12, 2008, 14:31:02 PM »
Many of you will start out learning by reading books,strategy articles and discussing hands on forums.
All of this is important as you can build up strong sound basics,you will start to learn the importance of strong starting hands,position and aggression.

BUT
here is my nugget of advice for what it is worth,please do not rely to much on advice from others, as your game will just become like the majority of others.A important part of poker is having your own style , you need to develop this by experimenting and with experience you will learn what works and what doesn"t.What happens when you do this is you become a creative player who can play mixed styles and have the ability to adapt to others styles , you learn to read others quicker and you will begin to find it easier to get into the minds of players and how they think,believe me this would be a giant leap in your game if you achieve this.
So recapping learn to mix your game up, experiment with starting hands not recommended in books and by others and you will gain experience which you can draw on in future games.Learn and play other forms of poker as this leads to having different fresh perspectives and open up your mind to different approaches to poker.Going this route i believe will make you a more rounded player able to switch styles and mix your game up, not the sort of player you want at your table is it  ;D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: Advice for novice and new poker players
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 18:50:40 PM »
But reading and listening to other people"s thoughts, advice and opinions can save you a fortune in terms of the cost of your education.

Nanos gigantum humeris insidentes.

I"m all for independent thinking, but I"d probably say that building on successful players" experience and expertise is a good starting point.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 20:19:11 PM »

here is my nugget of advice for what it is worth,please do not rely to much on advice from others

In fact, there is a little irony here..... Noble1 has entered an unsolicited post giving advice to ignore advice!!   :-\

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 20:23:07 PM »
I"m sure he"s not asking people to ignore advice, just to not rely on it
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:45:30 AM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:24:04 AM by noble1 »

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:46 AM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:05:48 AM by noble1 »

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 13:19:39 PM »

... does it not make sense that if you just copy others that you cant be like them as everyone is wired differently and view/read things differently,  that is why i think someone should develop there own style and that you can only do this by experimenting...

Like singing

You have to know the fundamentals to be able to sing properly.

But if you then just copy exactly what somebody else does, you"re not a singer - you"re an impersonator.

(it"s not a perfect analogy - but I like it)
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 14:27:33 PM »
just another annette_15 history,there is a lot in this anyone could incorporate into there own mtt strategy -UTG stealing... well they say that "UTG is the new button,no sign of calling raises or reraises in her play,During the period when Annette had around 10 to 15 big blinds she tightened up a lot, even with 20 BBs the suited connectors which featured heavily in the early stages were folded,Ace-rag hands were again not on the playlist. The only times these were played was when stealing blinds from late position.The gap concept is ever present.

Alas there are hands missing in the history,most notable the final table.[full tilt had a few problems at the time which was annoying if you wanted to playback hands but hey ho you get a good idea of annettes tactics and moves]

http://www.pokerxfactor.com/HA76185/500k%20win/4477