Author Topic: Sky Open - A move that got me busted in 18th place - Right or Wrong play...?  (Read 9269 times)

_AppleMac_

Hey guys,

Played in sky open on the weekend and was in the top 5 for most of the tournament... however when the blinds increased to 6,000 / 12,000 players on my table were starting to steal blinds... as expected. I had roughley 90,000 chips and the other big stack on my table had over 100,000. I ran into a nice hand of  :as: qh on a 5 handed table... and was sat in the small blind... the big stack raised to 50,000 (one before the button)... my move here is either to fold of go all in... I pushed all in... Firstly was my move of all in a good push...?? as I though to win the big money in The Open, I stood a far greater chance if I doubled up with nearly 180,000 chips if I won... Everyone else folded... They guy turned over a  jd js and they stood up and won... leaving me disappointed with 18th place...

My query is, was this the correct move...? Should I of realised raising to 50,000 was a strong raise or just a nice way to steal blinds as most of the other players would of folded to a raise 4x the BB...? Maybe I should of folded with the intention of laddering up the cash...? Thoughts would be appreciated...!

Cheers

_AppleMac_

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
If he turned over his cards and showed you he had JJ, then shoving all in is still the correct move to make.

With a structure as bad as they have on Sky it could be possible to ladder up a few more places by just playing slowly - but the only way to win is to take the chances when you get them.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
super standard,

with these stacks and blinds and the fact the tables are 6 handed, you have to shove here. There are only 3 hands to worry about here, AA,KK and QQ and the JJ guy is raising with a lot of hands worse than that.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

deanp27

• Platinum Member
don"t even worry about it, you made the right play, i probably play worse hands in this spot too. You lost a coinflip which is pretty standard in most tournaments never mind in a crapshoot

don"t even think the open should be described as a poker tournament with the speed of play and the blind levels
Looking forward to making my first day 2

_AppleMac_

Thats good to know, was seriously kicking myself after as when you start hitting the top 10 the money ladders quite alot...!

Ive only ever played on sky poker, what other online tournament would you recommend with a longer blind structure and with a large prize pool...?

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member

Ive only ever played on sky poker, what other online tournament would you recommend with a longer blind structure and with a large prize pool...?

The APAT online events on Blue Square have a very good structure, and some of the players are pretty good too, apparantly  ::) You"ve just got a small wait for the season 3 dates to be announced though.

However, with any luck, an interim APAT online series will be announced soon for November and December. This should be a pretty good introduction for you as to the online offerings of APAT  8)

oneill1970

• Silver Member
I"d have shoved as well.
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

deanp27

• Platinum Member

well just about anything/anywhere i would imagine
Looking forward to making my first day 2

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
There are other tournaments on Sky that have a better structure (better in terms of longer levels that allows for more play).  Lots of people only know the Open, and the reason the structure"s so harsh is to get the tournament finished during the live show.  
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

_AppleMac_

To be honest ive only played the open twice, I normally play the £400 Guarenteed and also cash games... I think I just need to broaden the sites I play on...!?

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
Agreed! You haven"t "experienced" poker "til you"ve been proper shafted on Stars!

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt

To be honest ive only played the open twice, I normally play the £400 Guarenteed and also cash games... I think I just need to broaden the sites I play on...!?

If you do join more sites make sure you find the best rake and first deposit deals by searching t"internet. Also get the refer a friend deals too.

Then play them all like a bonus clearing whore and you should clean up nicely.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member

With a structure as bad as they have on Sky

Don"t think that"s very fair to be honest. The Open is what it is, and the structure is set to make sure the tournament can finish during the live programme. If you don"t like it, you don"t have to play it.

I choose to play it for the fun of it - it is a fast and furious turbo tourney. I made the final table last week, and it was a bit of a buzz to see my hands played out on TV and to hear commentary (both good and bad).  I have no expectations about it being somewhere to play serious poker though - for that I play the well structured tourneys on Stars, and of course the APAT online games.

With respect to the hand being questioned on this thread.... if you aren"t going to shove here with AQ, what hand are you waiting for?  If you are waiting for a premium pair before getting your chips in, you will have no chips left.  I know that normally speaking you should be looking for occasions where you will get your chips in first, particularly with such a marginal hand...... but in your particular scenario, and at this stage of the tourney with the blind to stack ratio so distorted, AQ is always an auto-shove..... never ever folding AQ there.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
played it again tonight and was early chip leader, then sat amongst the top 10 all the way..... and bubbled the final table :(   came 7th.     4th, 18th, 3xth, and 7th in the last forthnight.     luvverly tourney :)

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt

played it again tonight and was early chip leader, then sat amongst the top 10 all the way..... and bubbled the final table :(   came 7th.     4th, 18th, 3xth, and 7th in the last forthnight.     luvverly tourney :)

Must suit your ubber aggressive (donk) game Steve