Author Topic: Anybody play 6max?  (Read 2918 times)

oneill1970

• Silver Member
Anybody play 6max?
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:28:26 AM »
Tomorrow is my poker birthday, a year since I started playing properly online, thanks to a halfway stable internet connection.  I"ve played mainly full ring limit for the past year, as the swings in NL would probably drive me mad, likewise the alleged swings in PLO.  However, in the past couple of days I"ve dropped down to 6max tables, suffering the usual horrific losses at first, then breaking even, then making a little over a very small sample size.

Does anyone else here play 6max ring games, either limit or NL?  Do you find them easier to beat, harder to multitable, unable to understand or anything else?  I"ve heard say that they reward good players more, and given that I"m up over the past year at full ring at a rate of 2.5BB/100, I think I might be ok here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, as always, for comments!
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Re: Anybody play 6max?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 11:44:53 AM »
Play almost exclusively 6-Max. Fish have a much wider hand range, more action, and more reward. You also generate more hands per hour, so your hourly rate should be better. Don"t see the benefit of playing full ring games online tbh.  ::)

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:52:57 AM »

Play almost exclusively 6-Max. I have a much wider hand range, more action, and more losses. You also generate more hands per hour, so your hourly rate should be better. Don"t see the benefit of playing full ring games online tbh.  ::)

Adjusted your post to suit my game.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »

Play almost exclusively 6-Max. I have a much wider hand range, more action, and more losses. You also generate more hands per hour, so your hourly rate should be better. Don"t see the benefit of playing full ring games online tbh.  ::)

Adjusted your post to suit my game.

Point proven. ;)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 13:18:16 PM »
Yep, definately, read as much as you can about it first though.

Good Table selection is essential!

Im by no means a strong player and doing well at 6m.

Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

oneill1970

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 15:15:56 PM »
Yup - I"ve done a fair bit of reading, it"s just a case of being brave enough to take the plunge.  I"m always a fan of table selection as well, so hopefully I should be ok.

Must be wearing my lucky underpants today, though.  Have a dose of man-flu, so have played just under 300 hands with a win-rate of 20.93BB/100.  Vegas, here we come!
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 20:12:54 PM »
i play mostly 5 handed SnG"s and have had a decent success rate

A_Stupid_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 15:59:29 PM »
Well, I don"t play too many ring games but when I do it is nearly always 6-handed. I am more of a tournament player but even then I focus more on playing 6-handed.
I prefer it because it"s faster paced, the blinds are back round to you quicker forcing you to be more creative with the hands that you play and the way that you play them.