Author Topic: opinon on this hand please.....how would you play it and what would you do ??  (Read 9794 times)

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
Final Table for a $200 seat for the Ladbrokes Forum Tourney at DTD on Nov 22nd. There are 2 seats available plus cash for 3rd and 4th and there are 9 players left.
I am chip-leader with approx 17k and my oppo is 2nd with approx 15k.
 On button, I call for 900 to make it 1800 with

kd   qc

Oppo raises in BB to 4200 so for 2400 more, I call as i think he could see my limp as an opportunity to make a move on me AND that I will have position on him post-flop.

Flop comes down

ad1  qd  jd

....and he pushes all-in.

What would you do ??

I will post the answer tomorrow

LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
It"s difficult to see any scenario where you aren"t favourite to win this hand unless he flopped the flush but that seems unlikely as he"d be Jack-high.

Play for the win...call.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

oneill1970

• Silver Member
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 06:06:28 AM by oneill1970 »
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
conversely, I would be folding here. If it were a straight forward MTT, I would consider taking the gamble, but in a satellite where I am ahead of the average chip stack, I would not take the risk - no need.

That said though, I don"t think I would be in this situation..... I wouldn"t open-limp on the buttom with KQ. As chip leader, I would either fold as there"s no need to play the hand (with the game being a satellite), or I would raise big (to indicate I"m not going away). The Big Blind then needs a hand on which he"s willing to stake his entire tourney - his range should be two hands only there.

bigredders

• Gold Member

conversely, I would be folding here. If it were a straight forward MTT, I would consider taking the gamble, but in a satellite where I am ahead of the average chip stack, I would not take the risk - no need.

That said though, I don"t think I would be in this situation..... I wouldn"t open-limp on the buttom with KQ. As chip leader, I would either fold as there"s no need to play the hand (with the game being a satellite), or I would raise big (to indicate I"m not going away). The Big Blind then needs a hand on which he"s willing to stake his entire tourney - his range should be two hands only there.

agreed. no need to play this pre-flop since your the chip leader. will be many more blind-stealing opportunities where you can steadily build your stack with no risk, which is what its all about in sats.

if i were to hazard a guess i think you called he showed a set of jacks and u hit the nuts?

Kinester

• Bronze Member
Id say he may of hit trips, the all lin shove looks like he is scared of the flush draw so i guess he is hoping to end the action there. I reckon folding is the correct action in this instance.

Be interesting to see what actually happened

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
I"m confused Brian.

I"m not fully clear what the blinds are here. You did say you were on the button but called the 900 to make it 1800 and he then put in another 2400 to make it 4200. Did you mean you were on the SB??? (I noticed you didn"t put what the SB did)

In which case you were first to act after the flop.

more info please, because it does make a difference to my thinking and actions
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

clynd99

• Silver Member
Hmmmm. I"d think he either had a cack ace, or sh.it all.
Had he been defending his big blind doggedly?
When the ace drops he"s thinking that as you didnt raise it up, you haven"t paired it, so pushing either with a weak paired ace or even a load of trash like 7 2 off will take him the pot. He"d only be called by a jammy flopped flush or QJ.
Seeing as you have the flush and straight draws, and middle pair good kicker, I"d call and get ready to take the pot then fold all the way to Nottingham!
I reckon you"re ahead at this point, but get sucked out on. Thats how the game works, isn"t it?!
In future though, I"d think that raising up with that hand would be a better option, then if he shoves pre flop you can get away much easier.
BOING!

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
being a big stack with a big stack to follow you could easily fold

but at this stage of the tourney, folded to me im raising with your hands but not a big raise to make it look as if im trying to steal blinds

if im re-raised by the other big stack or he goes all in - i fold (but make it look like im giving it some thought 1st)

then on this flop, after he called my raise im happy to call his shove

but his small raise pre flop looks an attempt to steal with virtually 2 cards

chances are he does not have the flush but you still have a healthy stack to play poker with so im folding

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
I,m calling here
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

bricko

Must agree with few others either fold pre flop or raise

noble1

• Platinum Member
On button, I call for 900 to make it 1800
Oppo raises in BB to 4200 so for 2400 more, I call as i think he could see my limp as an opportunity to make a move

Sorry none of this makes sense, did you min raise? but then you say you had limped?
if he made it 4200 it would cost you 3300 to call?

more info on blinds and antes please....

Also if you raise pre-flop you can define the hand range of your opponents better when they re-raise or call,just a thought !!!!

baldaceguy

• Bronze Member
Bearing in mind the state of play at this point would not even be in the hand no need with these cards.You are comfortabley placed without the need to risk marginal hands.however if you decide to enter the pot you should raise.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member

On button, I call for 900 to make it 1800
Oppo raises in BB to 4200 so for 2400 more, I call as i think he could see my limp as an opportunity to make a move

Sorry none of this makes sense, did you min raise? but then you say you had limped?
if he made it 4200 it would cost you 3300 to call?

more info on blinds and antes please....

What i said too!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
Sorry for confusing you guys......and I REALLY appreciate your feedback on this.......the blinds were 800 /1600.

I DID call him and as a few of you correctly pointed out he DID have a genuine hand in Q-Q.
 The turn was the
6c

but the river came down as
 tc

....to complete my straight, and giving me a massive 30k+ in chips, which I then turned into first place to win the seat.

What REALLY got to me was that he then went on the Forum and slagged me off like you wouldn"t believe. Why can"t people just accept that sometimes you are going to get outdrawn >??
  I can appreciate the reasoning in that I maybe shouldn"t have been in the hand at all, but sometimes NOT trying to steal the blinds can also paint a confusing picture ?
  I thought he was raising me pre-flop just to get me out of the hand and say "If you don"t raise, I will !!"
  But I read his small raise as weak, hence my call. If I miss the flop I can then fold if he bets out. But once I hit that flop, with 12 outs, I just didn"t see how I could possibly bin them, the reasoning being that if I do win, I virtually have the seat in the bag. Ironically, I later folded A-K twice and Q-Q....ALL pre-flop !!
  His comments on the board were along those lines of I shouldn"t be in the hand....but a few also reasoned that his raise was crap !  He didn"t agree as he was such a classy player !
  His comment of "I ain"t gonna go now as if I see this player I will lump him one !" didn"t reek of class to me !!
   Again, thanx for your feedback guys.

BOING BOING !!
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu