Author Topic: Bet Sizing In No Limit  (Read 4715 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
Bet Sizing In No Limit
« on: November 10, 2008, 17:34:16 PM »
I would like to start this thread and see what ideas / views you guys have on bet sizing pre-flop post-flop, its a topic i"ve seen coming up in other forums a lot recently with some rather bizarre ideas.
As well as pre and post flop bet sizing , your ideas on under betting , over betting , the continuation bet [how much? should you vary it?] would you adjust bet sizes to particular opponents? How do you set up the size of your bets to maximise the total number of chips that you can get off your opponents by the turn or river?

anyhows i hope this turns out to be a informative thread for all viewing it  ;D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: Bet Sizing In No Limit
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 18:04:22 PM »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 19:12:25 PM »

I really like the min re-raise (more so post-flop).  Upsets other players and usually confuses them a fair bit.

agreed kinboshi,i to like to min raise post flop as well but only on wet boards in position when i have a read on a weak player and the blinds are high relative to the stacks.I do it on wet boards in position because against a weak player i can buy my draws or a hidden inside straight cheap and often get to see the turn and river free, but against strong aggressive types this play i rarely use  ;D
One huge error i see especially in lower stakes NLH cash or mtt is the min raise pre-flop as it achieves nothing !!! the amount of times i"ve opened up in late position with say J9s 2.5bb and the guy in the big blind min raises,quite often its a big hand QQ KK AA and they are giving me 3 to 1 odds to call lmao and together with position and potential implied odds its tyvm sir..

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 19:16:58 PM »

I really like the min re-raise (more so post-flop).  Upsets other players and usually confuses them a fair bit.

agreed kinboshi,i to like to min raise post flop as well but only on wet boards in position when i have a read on a weak player and the blinds are high relative to the stacks.I do it on wet boards in position because against a weak player i can buy my draws or a hidden inside straight cheap and often get to see the turn and river free, but against strong aggressive types this play i rarely use  ;D
One huge error i see especially in lower stakes NLH cash or mtt is the min raise pre-flop as it achieves nothing !!! the amount of times i"ve opened up in late position with say J9s 2.5bb and the guy in the big blind min raises,quite often its a big hand QQ KK AA and they are giving me 3 to 1 odds to call lmao and together with position and potential implied odds its tyvm sir..

never heard of this expression..sorry....what does this mean?
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 19:42:50 PM »
wet boards - draw heavy co-ordinated flops
dry boards - the opposite eg T62 rainbow flop

hope the explaination helps ...

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 20:39:37 PM »
perfect thank-you....never heard of it like that..wet as in slippery....best avoided..type?!!
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 22:45:56 PM »
come on guys you must have some thoughts on how you bet and how you view others?  :(
In the early levels in tournaments, i find it best to make smaller sized bets than i would do in cash games, because i find it benefits me more to take many small stabs at pots, rather than take a few large stabs. If i consistently keep my flop bets the same, but bet more flops, my reasoning is that i will stand to win more, while risking less. I try to keep it basic in a lot of ways early on, but I see A LOT of players making really large bets (when they likely have nothing), when just making a 1/2 pot bet on the flop would have accomplished the same thing.

Typically early on in tournaments [dynamics change sometimes], i find that most opponents will be more careful in what hands they invest their chips into. Therefore i stand to win more by applying constant pressure, but risking less with smaller sized flop bets. If i am called on the flop, then i can make a decision based on my opponent, and the texture of the flop, whether my opponent is weak or strong. If a turn bet doesn"t commit me or my opponent to the pot, then i find this the best spot to make a good sized bet and take the pot down.

cmon guys,anyone have any bad habits? have you found a particular bet strategy work well against certain types of player?? Do you alternate your size of bets etc etc  please please join in.......

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 23:28:16 PM »
I like the "small ball" strategy too noble1, but only when the stacks are deep and the clock is long. With small raises PF and half to 2/3 pot bets post flop, you always run the risk of letting oponents catch up in a hand, but I always find it easier to let big hands go (without tilting..LOL) when I know I haven"t invested too much in the pot.

One thing I rarely do now is 3-bet pre flop in the early stages of a tourney. If the 3-bet is called and I am check raised on the flop, I am invariably losing a big pot. By calling a lot of raises in position, I am able to take pots down on "wet boards" with minimal investment.

Its certainly more fun than playing my old super TAG style.

I do have problems playing this style when I have 4 or 5 "long ball" LAGs on the table, and end up just going into my super TAG shell. Could certainly do with a few more weapons in the armoury there.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 02:41:46 AM »
totally agree with you Swinebag22 i dont believe small ball poker in an online mtt 1500 chips 10/20 blinds to start with 15 min levels is very effective , but what i tend to do in my game is use parts of the small ball strategy,mainly the play in position part and if 1st to enter a pot i will tend to do it from the hi-jack seat onwards,any earlier and i make sure i have a strong hand.I play this style in the 1st two levels rather than the sit and wait approach.Like you i,m not afraid to call raises in position and use my betting and my reads to take the pots,when in a hand i consider the texture of the board and my opponents tendencies / style and i"m thinking how much it will take to steal the pot at the least minimum cost to me.I still switch styles in the later levels chips permitting and like you say Swinebag22 it is dependent on the players to your left and right.
When i get a lot of LAGS at my table I will make very thin calls against the LAG players constant big bet bluffs and weak draws 2nd pair etc, while the rest of the time I will be trying not to be paying off the grinders/tight players and simply trying to wear them down with pre and post flop aggression each time they miss the flop or by attacking them whilst they are in their blinds. The grinders usually cant understand how I am not paying them off when they finally hit, and the LAG players cant understand why I would call their big bets so easily and pretty thin sometimes but fold so regularly to the grinders big bets.All i do is keep patient and adapt to players,goes wrong sometimes but thats more experience for me  ;D
Anyone have any thoughts on the continuation bet? or if mixing the size of it works?

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »

what sort of opponents / situations do you do it in Kinboshi ..

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:44:04 AM »
Now then my new best mate ( Toffees always stick together) This is a massive topic, an ;)d when I read your opening post yesterday I started to think about what to say, but in my head I had got to about 1000 words, so gave up on the idea! I will try and give some opinions ( for what they"re worth) when I have a bit of time. Dan you didn"t really think you could get away with a two line answer to one of Nobles questions did you? ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:32:26 AM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:42:38 AM by noble1 »