Author Topic: Bad moves/plays by me?  (Read 3968 times)

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
Bad moves/plays by me?
« on: November 13, 2008, 14:10:37 PM »
Chip lead of approx 3.5 in a 5 man SnG - still 4 players left and 100 BB 50 SB and blinds going up next 2or 3 minutes

im on SB with  qd th and BB has 1000 chips left after posting his BB

going by theory books etc should i be shoving here to steal the BB? - it is a bit loose but as CL i think this is a pretty decent move when im chip leader (or if shortstacked against medium stacks) i think its the right play to do as he only has an M of 3 left after this orbit (although i have did this many times and been lost to a better hand) as he can only reallly call with big hands surely

anyway - i shove all in and he insta calls with  :as:   ac

cant remember the cards but they where all raggs but 2 where diamonds - turn and river where diamonds and i flush him out

he starts ranting on the chat box that i was a F*CK*NG TERRIBLE PLAYER and that i deserve to lose - but to me i wasnt at risk and would still have almosta 2/1 chip lead on him

so down to the bubble and a few hands later im dealt  6d 5h on the BB approx 2.5k and same blinds - button has 1000 chips and folds and SB completes with 4.5k in chips

flop is a juicy  5d :2d: :3d: - SB checks and i lead for 200, SB calls
turn is  9h sb checks and i check
river is a  jd

so i"ve hit my flush and SB opens for 800 in an 800 pot - should i call with 2000 chips left?

i folded claiming i had a 6D flush but never found out what the SB had but the short stack was typing that i should have called?

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Bad moves/plays by me?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 15:04:43 PM »
both plays are fine - the QT shove is a good one.... he can only call with a very narrow range of hands, and even if he does and beats you, you are still in good shape.

6 hi flush though? can"t call there for nearly half your stack

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 15:41:45 PM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 16:04:43 PM by noble1 »

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 16:44:55 PM »
Okay, so he has lost half his stack in the last hour, he has recently been caught bluffing so he could well  be tilting. I presume we are in a full ring game, so he has only approx 10 orbits left, so he has to get busy. I reckon he has taken a punt from the big blind with a pretty wide range. The check by both after the flop suggests that neither player has connected with the flop, a little bit weak i feel from the SB. Anyway Gale would have bet the flop if he had connected, so the 8 on the river certainly hasn"t helped his hand, he is merely taking a stab at the pot. IMO the A 10 is still the best hand, but whether the call is made depends entirely on the read. You have only put 5k voluntarily into the pot, so you could get away from the hand fairly cheaply and wait for a better spot. My guess is he made the call and took down the pot ???
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 17:01:01 PM »
Mikeyboy9361, think it through from other angles [johns perspective] and have another go at how the hand turned out.
All i can say is 1st attempt is wrong.

good analysis though

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 17:22:50 PM »
Risky having another go, what if I get it wrong again?? Okay he only has to make up 4k in the BB, so he still has a wide range. He could quite easily have suited connectors, spades maybe? In which case he was playing the pot cheaply and hoping to hit the flush. So when he got the draw on the river he decided to gamble?
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 18:37:59 PM »
remember if you look again at the post by issac , john is all in on the turn..........

It was actually J2o , because of Issacs aggressive image and also that JG is a lucy gucy he called [he had position]
no cb by issac on the flop?J28 rainbow hmmm ok check J2o bad but i got 2 pair ;D, now on the turn 8 Issac checks again which to me if i was john i"d now discount all slow plays based on Issacs aggressive nature, so thats all over pairs, sets, 2 pairs and top pairs discounted and i"d be pretty sure i"m ahead on the turn [range for Issac Ax [TTor99 i"d expect a cb on flop] 77 66 [55 44 33 very doubtful] KQ KJ QJ etc.
But the vital part is 2 checks out of position by Issac,so with John Gales image and the bad bluff from earlier , do you think it is a smart play to go all in on the turn, it caught Issac out , he thought his ace would be good  ;D good move John imo...

here is issacs last post -

Isaac Baron post

Quote:Originally Posted by Barry Greenstein View Post
(I assume the score is now John 1, Isaac 0, and that the hero call didn"t work either by drawout or because John slowplayed for some reason, because I don"t get the feeling Isaac would have started this thread strictly as a brag post. I"m a little confused because John can"t have an Eight in his hand, considering the large bet, and I don"t know if he is capable of playing a big pair that way.)

Barry
Yea, I called and he showed me J2o which completely boggled my mind.

and his explaination for no CB on the flop -

because c"betting is a pretty decent sized portion of my stack and the impression that I got of John is that he does not like to fold at all, and I could not imagine a cbet working on this board working nearly enough for it to be good.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 18:44:58 PM by noble1 »

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 10:20:42 AM »
Longshanks - why did you feel compelled to reveal your hand to the other players at the table?  That"s free information that they can use against you in the future.

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »

Longshanks - why did you feel compelled to reveal your hand to the other players at the table?  That"s free information that they can use against you in the future.

in the hope that he would show his hand and get info from him too

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 13:10:10 PM »