Author Topic: Bankroll Managment!!  (Read 4258 times)

rubertoe

• Gold Member
Bankroll Managment!!
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »
I am after some advise on what stkes i should be playing if for instance i had a $300 BR,

Should i be follwoing strict BR management and be playing, 3/6c (50 buy ins) or should i be playing smaller/bigger?

What about S"n"G? and MTT - what buy in level whould be appropriate for this BR?

Any advice will be greatly received and then ignored followed by a massive blowout!!! ;D ;D ;D
Lifes tough, its even tougher when your stupid

North London Poker Club

noble1

• Platinum Member
Re: Bankroll Managment!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:57:14 AM »
http://www.chrisferguson.com/article-4

Jesus gives the best advice,the dude has turned $1 into $20,000 and $0 into $10,000 so chris knows what it takes.

Also your overall bankroll can depend on your style of play,obviously you need more roll if you are a LAG type due to the variance.

With a $300 roll if you are tight conservative then starting on the 5 cent/10 cent tables will be fine imo.
SNG - if you are a reasonble player then giving yourself 50 buy ins will be ok.
MTT - if you play just abc in the micro mtts on stars or tilt then i"d suggest giving yourself a cushion of 100 buy ins

hope this helps you
regards
noble
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:58:48 AM by noble1 »

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »
It all depends on what your bankroll means to you, but as a rule, I go for 30 buyins at STT level, 100 buyins for MTTs and 50 buy ins for NL cash. That way you dont go broke. I also play at levels that I can win at, so even though I am rolled to play STTs at a much higher level than I actually play, i dont because I find it too hard to win.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:57 AM »
Another thing to consider is:

Is your bankroll really $300?

If you lost that $300 are you just going to put another $300 online?

If so then you could say your bankroll is actually $600.

Obviously it may be likely that even if you could redeposit you might really not want to, but don"t get put off playing a bit higher if the worst that could happen is you just put more money in.

On the other hand - don"t be reckless just because you can put more money in.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:41:04 AM »

Obviously it may be likely that even if you could redeposit you might really not want to, but don"t get put off playing a bit higher if the worst that could happen is you just put more money in.

?? dont confuse matters jon  ;D

if jon is writing about what i think he is,then he may be referring to aggressive bankroll management.If you think you are quite good at say $30 level mtts then using this method you would just play a 10 buy in rule until you won a substantial amount,if you lost it all you reload and try again and so on.
Some so called pros advocate this,maybe its why they go broke a lot !!   ;D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:49:25 AM »
The problem with that approach is that you can lose sight of the demarcation between your poker bankroll and your housekeeping budget. Before you know where you are, you"re playing with money that you might rather spend on food!!

By ringfencing your bankroll completely, at least you protect your real cashflow accounts.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 10:09:16 AM »

The problem with that approach is that you can lose sight of the demarcation between your poker bankroll and your housekeeping budget. Before you know where you are, you"re playing with money that you might rather spend on food!!

By ringfencing your bankroll completely, at least you protect your real cashflow accounts.

oh yes - you need to have a set amount beforehand of how much in total you"re willing to risk.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

rubertoe

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 16:51:20 PM »
The BR is $300 no more no less and this is the BR that i will be using for all of My Online Play

(APAT tourny buy ins come out of my own personal Disposable income! and i have a seperate BR for APAT online purely for the BlueSq games!)

I will just stick to what i have been playing, 3/6c and 5/10c no limit cash, I dont really play many SnG so will Place that bit of advice in the Locker as for MTT - i"ll just stick to the Levels that i have been playing and I will again ask the question again when the BR stands at $1k (bearing in mind it has taken me 18 months to grind out the roll that i have) unless i go broke!!!
Lifes tough, its even tougher when your stupid

North London Poker Club

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 17:21:47 PM »

There is another option that I"m sure some people adopt.  They have a bankroll for a set period.  So for example, they might have a bankroll of £500 for 12 months.  If they use it all up, they might be able to start again with a bankroll of £500 for the following year.

This is probably a realistic way many recreational players approach the game.  If a pro can have a bad month (or two) through variance - then a recreational player who plays far fewer tournaments or hands in cash games could go through the same variance, but it could be over a longer time period.

Personally, I had a much larger bankroll 12-18 months ago.  I played a lot more online and had built my bankroll up considerably (from the pittance I started with).  But I had to use a lot of this for "buying stuff" and so I have had to reduce the size of my bankroll available for poker and am trying to build it up again to where it was before.  But as I"m playing less volume, and I"m playing at lower levels (because of my smaller roll), this is taking longer than I"d hoped.  It"s always very tempting to play above your roll and take that shot.  Fortunately, it"s something I"ve managed to avoid so far.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason