Author Topic: GUKPT Report... Or How I beat the Devilfish  (Read 3908 times)

BigAnorak

GUKPT Report... Or How I beat the Devilfish
« on: November 29, 2008, 17:09:05 PM »
After an early start and a long train ride from Cornwall, I arrived at the Vic to be greeted by a who"s who of the British Poker scene, John Duthie, Simon Trumper, Neil Channing, Ram Vaswani and Donnacha O"Dea, to name just a few. Donnacha was not playing in the tournament, but was playing a £4k buy in cash game on the table next to mine.

I find my table and start to get to know my opponents, and find that I am seated with the winner of GUKPT Blackpool, Brian Clark and the winner of leg 5 of the Poker Millions, Sammy George, plus a couple of pros whose name I didn"t get.

Initially seat 9 was empty, but about half an hour into the tournament, none other than Dave "Devilfish" Ulliott arrives and is now sitting directly to my right. So no pressure there then.

I was determined to play my normal tight agressive game, making 75%-100% pot-sized bets when I hit the flop or had strong draws.

My first action was against Sammy George with ATs. I raise4BB, he calls. Flop KJx
both in my suit, for a possible royal flush! I bet the pot, Sammy calls. Turn Blank Check, Check. River is a Q not of the same suit for a straight. I bet the pot, he calls. 4000 chips to me. He had KJ and never re-raised me on the flop!

Amazingly the same thing happened when I had AQs. He had top pair on a king high flop I had another Flush draw. Turn is blank and checked down. River is a 10 - I make another straight which Sammy pays off. Another 4000 to me.

Meanwhile in between showing us his £50,000 watch and telling us about how he satisfies the women in his life, the Devilfish has donked off about half his stack with bluffs that are re-raised, including 2,500 to me when re-raised with KK. he folded in return for me showing my hand, which I did, but which is something I rarely do.

Then I look down at  :as: qs in the SB with the blinds 150/300. Devilfish limps I raise to 1200, he calls. Flop  ks 6s :2s: . Oh look I have the nut flush. Devilfish 8k chips me 24k. What should I do? All comments on what I actually did would be appreciated.

Using double inverted reverse psychology I decided that If I made a smaller than usual continuation bet I might get the Devilfish to make a move against me. I bet another 1200. The Devilfish moves all in, I insta-call. The whole table stands up and gasps when I turn over the  :as: qs and I am so caught up in fact I have taken out the Devilfish, I genuinely have no idea what his cards were or what the turn and river were (I think the river was another spade).

So there I am with 32k+ chips basking in the admiration of the rest of the table.

Then I got cocky and donked off 10k by bluffing into a set of 9s. I managed to claw about 4k of it back.

Then our table was broken up and I was seated with Padraig Parkinson - no.4 in the Irish all time money earners list and Roberto Romanello, who had come 2nd & 3rd in Previous GUKPT tournaments.  I obviously was not carrying my previous table image with me, and a couple of weak plays on my part further weakened my image.  I tried a blind steal with QJo and was re-raised half my stack, and Padraig Check-raised me for half my stack when I held AJo.  Should I have gone all in? Comments on a post card. I folded, and going card dead, added to the ever-increasing blinds and antes meant I was nearly back to the starting stack of 15k.

My exit hand was pretty standard. Middle position blinds 600/300, no entries into pot. Look down at kc ks raise to 3k. Roberto raises to 8k. I re-raise all in.

Roberto turns over 8c 8s.

Flop Comes  :as: 8d :2c: Turn and river are no help, and I am out in 55th of about 100 runners.  I still haven"t made the top half of a live tournament (apart from the regionals - but they don"t count do they ;D), but I do have fantastic memories of playing with the Big Boys for 8 hours without making myself look like a total plonker.

Oh, did I mention that I knocked out the UK"s no.1 all time money earner?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 19:36:18 PM by BigAnorak »
It's only a Game

I could list my APAT achievements here, but I am too modest,and there isn't enough space

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: GUKPT Report... Or How I beat the Devilfish
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 17:18:23 PM »
Top Stuff.  Sounds like you had a great day.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 21:20:43 PM »
Brilliant, you obviously had a great day, and taking down the Devilfish!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

oneill1970

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 21:55:38 PM »
and telling us about how he satisfies the women in his life

But of course he does  ;)

Serious kudos for taking him out - gave him more time for the ladeez, no doubt!
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

charliemcvic

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 22:03:16 PM »
well played mate  ;D
success is a ladder which can't be climbed with your hands in your pockets

jacklevel06

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 22:35:10 PM »
Well done Bob,very unlucky with your exit hand.
Mug punter on the horses since 1981

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 23:12:48 PM »
Good report. UL to go out with the best hand when the chips went in.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 00:49:13 AM »
Nice TR Bob, tough beat v the chippie
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

kaysing

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
Nice post Bob and well played - sounded like a cracking day out , shame it didnt last.  However, with your game style I reckon it wont be long before you go deep in a big tourney  (S3 Natinal perhaps).  Lets hope Plymouth is on the S3 list of regional venues - although with such a poor turnout this season I wouldnt blame them for giving it a miss.

Kay

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »
nice one bob! take out thr fish one to tell the grand kids lol !!!
sounds like u had a blast !

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 21:10:04 PM »

Nice post Bob and well played - sounded like a cracking day out , shame it didnt last.  However, with your game style I reckon it wont be long before you go deep in a big tourney  (S3 Natinal perhaps).  Lets hope Plymouth is on the S3 list of national venues - although with such a poor turnout this season I wouldnt blame them for giving it a miss.

Kay

FYP

This could be the US championship, or is there a closer grosvenor nearer the states??
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D