Author Topic: Buying a property / lot in HOA "condo" subdivision - advice?  (Read 33 times)

Xuarantui

• Bronze Member
Going to pull the trigger on a $300K property in a HOA (site condo - technically) subdivision. Site condos are just normal neighborhood houses but in order to start the neighborhood build quicker the land is somewhat shared. Not important.

I'm good with the HOA and fees, building requirements, but not sure what i don't know. The property is about .4 of an acre. No restrictions on the builder but plans have to approved by HOA. There's a view of Lake MI and there are all kinds of "distance from curbs" that need to be adhered too. Once I start building, I have 12 months to complete. The sub will be about 25 houses total (1/2 built now) ... nice pool and tennis court on it ... I imagine at the end I'll have a fair amount of $ in to it.

I thought I would have a lawyer friend review the purchase documents vs. getting a real estate agent. Not sure what a real estate agent brings in terms of value vs. an attorney that is familiar (not his direct expertise) property purchases? I also thought that might help negotiate a better deal on the lot if there was two agents to pay for.

Any thoughts, recommendations, are appreciated.

CarloMecan

Re: Buying a property / lot in HOA "condo" subdivision - advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 17:08:24 PM »
You are going down the right steps. Lawyer is more valuable than realtor, who really would just have their lawyer look at it anyway, you are cutting out a middle man fee.

WallaceMetcalfe

Re: Buying a property / lot in HOA "condo" subdivision - advice?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 17:16:49 PM »
Having a lawyer review the documents can provide peace of mind and ensure everything is in order. Real estate agents can offer valuable insights and assistance with negotiations, but if you're confident in handling that aspect yourself, focusing on legal guidance might be the way to go. As for the property itself, with the amenities and view of Lake MI, it sounds like a great investment.

By the way, if you're considering diversifying your investment portfolio, have you thought about Dubai property? It's an emerging market with potential for growth.