Author Topic: Hitting Your Set Or Trips  (Read 6593 times)

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Hitting Your Set Or Trips
« on: November 28, 2008, 22:42:45 PM »
In the early stages ot tourney you have hit your set and some body shoves all in is this just an insta call for most of you and if the higher set has been hit, then thats poker, even with scary boards ie  flush and str8 draws.
I have hit set 3 x this week and on all occassions been beaten by a higher set or str8.
Over time this will be winning move (calling the all in) agree or disagree.

noble1

• Platinum Member
Re: Hitting Your Set Or Trips
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 00:07:38 AM »
my advice is that you should avoid walking under all ladders,be careful around mirrors,cross your fingers when you go all in,get a lucky rabbits foot,touch a wooden object 3 times daily,avoid black cats,An apple a day keeps the doctor away,find a four-leaf clover to find good luck,never open an umbrella in the house,find a horseshoe,remember you can break a bad luck spell by turning seven times in a clockwise circle,eat lots of garlic  ;D good for live play this  :P,under pants worn inside out will bring good luck also a wonder bra on the head met help,Goldfish in the house bring bad luck,they also say when the bottom of your feet itch, you will make a trip...have you had an itch?,it is bad luck to chase someone with a broom,You must get out of bed on the same side you got in on or you will have bad luck,It is unlucky to rock an empty rocking chair,Smell dandelions, wet the bed i guess thats not good for bringing luck  ;D,do not step on cracks in the pavements,have plenty of liquid nourishment after a bad beat........ :o

and finally always remember most of the money you"ll win at poker comes NOT from the brilliance of your own play, but from the ineptitude of your opponents.

Hope these points help you , if i was you i"d resort to the bra on a head and inside out under pants and hopefully this run of bad beats will end.

regards
Noble

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 00:26:12 AM »

my advice is that you should avoid walking under all ladders,be careful around mirrors,cross your fingers when you go all in,get a lucky rabbits foot,touch a wooden object 3 times daily,avoid black cats,An apple a day keeps the doctor away,find a four-leaf clover to find good luck,never open an umbrella in the house,find a horseshoe,remember you can break a bad luck spell by turning seven times in a clockwise circle,eat lots of garlic  ;D good for live play this  :P,under pants worn inside out will bring good luck also a wonder bra on the head met help,Goldfish in the house bring bad luck,they also say when the bottom of your feet itch, you will make a trip...have you had an itch?,it is bad luck to chase someone with a broom,You must get out of bed on the same side you got in on or you will have bad luck,It is unlucky to rock an empty rocking chair,Smell dandelions, wet the bed i guess thats not good for bringing luck  ;D,do not step on cracks in the pavements,have plenty of liquid nourishment after a bad beat........ :o

and finally always remember most of the money you"ll win at poker comes NOT from the brilliance of your own play, but from the ineptitude of your opponents.

Hope these points help you , if i was you i"d resort to the bra on a head and inside out under pants and hopefully this run of bad beats will end.

regards
Noble

i.e. call then kick cat because you"ve been unlucky
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 00:34:25 AM »
Posted by: Swinebag22

i.e. call then kick cat because you"ve been unlucky

if you find this detrimental to the cats health and general well being just shout at the top of your voice ""Badddd puddddycat Baddd puddycat""
hopefully all your good luck will now return  ;D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:24:43 AM »

In the early stages ot tourney you have hit your set and some body shoves all in is this just an insta call for most of you and if the higher set has been hit, then thats poker, even with scary boards ie  flush and str8 draws.
I have hit set 3 x this week and on all occassions been beaten by a higher set or str8.
Over time this will be winning move (calling the all in) agree or disagree.

seriously if you are playing in a low buy in mtt or a turbo then yes it is very hard to get away from. Depends if you are a survivalist or a accumulator, the survivalist may look at the board and if its connected or 3 of the same suit or the villian was very tight and had raised preflop utg and the flop came AK5 and he only went all in when he had the nuts,then a fold for these type of scenarios would be ok.
The accumulator on the other hand will think he is ahead most of the time and will call.
Depends which camp you are in, this question is ok as obviously you are slightly miffed at being on the end of these beats but if i was you maybe asking the forum what strategy they employ in the early stages of a mtt be it high or low buy in, might benefit you more?

hope this answers your question Erimus.

regards
Noble

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »

regards
Noble

Erimus or anyone wishing to try this approach , if you find yourself on a live tv table you met find you will get some odd looks/comments from your opponents and Mike Sextons commentary will be of intrest but dont be daunted by this, as this is a new radical concept in poker and you may well find everyone copying you after the first break as they see how lucky you get.
Also remember the spectators met chant titttt head titttt head every time you take a pot down.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »
I"ll have a pint of whatever Noble drinks!!!!

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 18:24:29 PM »
Thanks for replies noble, the hands were played at low buy in mtts £5, £10 and in early stages so accumulation of chips was the aim as the blind structure was fast ie 10 mins, so I would still play them in the same way in that sort of tourney.
Higher buy ins and i will have to think a bit more but even reading Harrington he said if you get knocked out by a higher set or trips it just was not going to be your day and move on to the next tournament.
As for the bra and underpants approach I will try that next time I play live and watch for reactions cheers

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 00:39:23 AM »

Thanks for replies noble, the hands were played at low buy in mtts £5, £10 and in early stages so accumulation of chips was the aim as the blind structure was fast ie 10 mins, so I would still play them in the same way in that sort of tourney.
Higher buy ins and i will have to think a bit more but even reading Harrington he said if you get knocked out by a higher set or trips it just was not going to be your day and move on to the next tournament.
As for the bra and underpants approach I will try that next time I play live and watch for reactions cheers

just out of intrest Erimus , are you raising your pocket pairs pre-flop or are you just cold calling and trying to set mine?

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 14:42:38 PM »
Usually raise any pp over 99 the rest limp and hope to hit set, usually quite wary of dangerous boards ie flushing and str8ing boards.
Regarding sizing of bets after hitting set I will normally pot size or  3/4 size bet as I want to charge anyone to hit the flush or str8.
I think you were right in an earlier post I think I was a bit miffed about them being bad beats and i have got to understand that this is part of game and take them in my stride and move on without tilting.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 15:18:44 PM »
Hi Erimus thanks for reply,if you were playing yourself would you find it easy to get a good idea of your limping range.
As a suggestion if you vary raising all pairs 22 - 99 it will make you far harder to read.
Still limp in with them but try to to mix it up as with say low suited connecters [you limp in with these ?],just occasionally raise those in late position 1st to act in the pot,i dare say your opponents will have a tough time trying to get a read on limp/raise ranges then.
Today in a mtt online i got 55 in ep with a healthy stack [around 70bb] raised them 3x and a fairly solid guy 1.5x re-raises me,the alarm bell in my head started but i had decent odds to see a flop,i was out of position so i was going to re-evaluate on the flop.[i know fishy play out of position but it disguises my hand]
The flop came K52 rainbow,so i lead out 1/3 pot and the solid guy re-raises to 3/4 pot size,hmmm i thought ?? so i min-raise back,the solid guy thinks for about 12 seconds then goes all in, i fold...he shows KK and asks if i had AK , QQ or AA i tell him i made a tough laydown with pocket aces  ;D
It cost me about 28bb of my stack to find out my set were beat but i got away from them by sizing my bets and together with my read on the guys style made a good decision to fold.[i still had enough chips to rebuild and finish deep in the money]
So you can get away from set over set,always start to try narrow an opponents range down by your reads and the use of bet sizing.

hope this helps you in anyway Erimus...

regards
noble

ps - i am not saying you should play small pairs from ep all the time or even call with them in lp in a raised pot.
As general ish rule for myself if my stack is less than 30bb then in ep i wont raise small pairs,also if i am to call a raise with them if the implied odds are less than 10 to 1 then i fold..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 15:38:37 PM by noble1 »

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 15:52:03 PM »
Still a good lay down 8)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 16:10:06 PM »
Cheers for advice noble, i think one thing i have got from this thread is if I have got a big hand  trips, 2 pair etc is not to automatically think it is unbeatable, this i  find is one of the flaws in my game is that I can build a healthy stack then reduce it to nothing in 1 daft move ie call a big all in when i can fold and wait for a better spot even if I have lost a few chips by sensible betting not overbetting and having fingers crossed,obviously it depends on what sort ot tournament it is and what sort of read you have on your opponent thanks again for taking time to answer questions and will try to take on the advice.
NB I cashed for the first time live last week at local rebuy tourney only spent £10 got £120 for a 5th place finish didnt hit trips once lol.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 16:29:04 PM »
I cashed for the first time live last week at local rebuy tourney only spent £10 got £120 for a 5th place finish didnt hit trips once lol.

Well done sir thats good ROI,spend that money wisely  ;D i hear wonder bras are on sale at moment  ;D ;D ;D ;D