Author Topic: Only Breaking Even Or Small Profit  (Read 4948 times)

baldaceguy

• Bronze Member
Only Breaking Even Or Small Profit
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:07:09 AM »
Hi All wonder if any of you kind people could offer any advice.Been playing since Sep 2006 mainly IPOKER and Pokerstars.Play upto $10 buyin usually.Started with holdem but now omaha aswell also some Horse.The problem is Icant seem to kick on and build a decent roll.I keep records of all games played and in last two years or so have not lost any many overall but the pro fit is small.An example I put $40 in Pokerstars in July 2007MY Roll has peaked at $210 and now hovers between $135 and $175.Prehaps my thinking has gone stale or something.I do study and think about the game pre haps to much?any response gratefully recieved.Thank you.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: Only Breaking Even Or Small Profit
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »
I"ve found the best way to make steady, if unspectacular, money is to play six handed sit and gos. The advantage to doing this is that two players get paid out on each table and at the lower levels, there are always a few idiots who will over commit to marginal hands early. This means that you often have to do relatively little work to get a return.
  My favourite sites for this type of game are Betfair because of the soft competition and Pokerstars for the volume of traffic. Both sites have a structure which allows for a modicum of "real" poker before the all in shoving begins.
  I would also recommend learning the basics of Omaha. On Betfair, the six handed Omaha SNGs contain a significant number of players who are, frankly, clueless. Full Tilt has games where there are alternate levels of pot-limit Hold'em and Omaha and the worst players on the site turn up in these. However, like the Betfair Omaha games, these can sometimes take ages to fill up.
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:33:43 AM »
Do you use Pokertracker or Holdem Manager?
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

TheAngryGambler

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »
if i was playing on stars i would be definatly playing the 180 man sit n go"s, great value with all the donkeys splashing about and its very good for your game, only takes 3-4 hours to take down and if u hit top 3 its a very good return for your cash... maybe try a few $3 ones to try it mate?

but like your man said before the 6 seaters are a great approach.
The urge to gamble is so universal and its practice is so pleasurable, that I assume it must be evil.

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 13:07:54 PM »
I"ve read somewhere that these are good value, How many buyins do you think the av decent player would take to adjust to them? (I would probably need to play like 180 of them continously before getting a decent grasp of em! )

What level are you playing at the moment Baldaceguy and have you considered moving up if you need a new challenge?

http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=2059.0 maybe?
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

TheAngryGambler

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 13:19:36 PM »
if your talking about the 180 man games the av decent player will take (imo) should be looking to try cash right away? but maybe take a couple of buy ins on the site to get used to the competition if need be and just aim for the break to try get the experience then see how u go...then look to go deep....

i suggest playing tight abc nothing fancy as they will prob just call u down, if u make a hand in the $3-180 or the $10-180 u will prob get paid off 4 out of 5 times the competition is fairly soft... the $20-180man are a little better you can open up your play a little... imo they r the best way to improve your game in the first year or so.
The urge to gamble is so universal and its practice is so pleasurable, that I assume it must be evil.

baldaceguy

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:13:27 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts on this.I dont use any tracking sftware at present and normally never play above $10 buyin.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 08:25:03 AM »
regarding the thread title -- I wish

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 13:41:42 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts on this.I dont use any tracking sftware at present and normally never play above $10 buyin.

Using tracking software will enable you to find where the leaks are in your game.  Definitely worth trying.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 15:47:27 PM »

Using tracking software will enable you to find where the leaks are in your game.  Definitely worth trying.

Because Boshi has a load of them   ;) ;)

baldaceguy

• Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 19:25:05 PM »
Cheers for that Ill give it ago.Which one do you think is best?

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 20:14:29 PM »
www.Pokertracker3.com imo, 60 day free trail, $80 to buy afterwards.

i think on its homepage they do a bonus with titan poker where u can get it for free if you complete the bonus.

Wud also suggest Sharkscope if your not using it already, even though a certain site prohibite it
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 21:40:21 PM by TopPair2Pair »
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 15:52:00 PM »

Hi All wonder if any of you kind people could offer any advice.Been playing since Sep 2006 mainly IPOKER and Pokerstars.Play upto $10 buyin usually.Started with holdem but now omaha aswell also some Horse.The problem is Icant seem to kick on and build a decent roll.I keep records of all games played and in last two years or so have not lost any many overall but the pro fit is small.An example I put $40 in Pokerstars in July 2007MY Roll has peaked at $210 and now hovers between $135 and $175.Prehaps my thinking has gone stale or something.I do study and think about the game pre haps to much?any response gratefully recieved.Thank you.

Toppietwo

What level are you playing at the moment Baldaceguy and have you considered moving up if you need a new challenge?

Ok,where to start.................
1st off do NOT move up in levels,if after 2 years playing at $10 and below and you are not beating them at this level , you will only lose money at higher,if anything you should be looking to move down in levels , find one you can beat , build up a bankroll then move up.

2 - Try to find something to specialize in eg - sngs mtts or cash [limit or NL]
3 - It seems to me from reading between the lines from your original question that you are in a rut and that you most probably have a lot of leaks in your game.
4 - Start posting your hands more and get opinions on how you"ve played them,not your good ones  ;D every single bad embarrassing one,that way you give yourself the opportunity to improve.
5 - Ask a player better than yourself or post a whole sessions hand history on here or any good poker forum and get feed back on the way you have played.[You will be surprised at how generous and giving some are ;D]
6- If you play live,ask your friends if they will play reveal the hand,after every hand played or every orbit [u get the gist] how and what hands they played,bet sizing,image ,how they perceived you , tells etc etc and improve that way.

If you love poker and want to get better and are willing to work at it, then you will.

hope this helps you
regards
noble