Author Topic: BLACK COUNTRY POKER CLUB WEEK THREE  (Read 3538 times)

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
BLACK COUNTRY POKER CLUB WEEK THREE
« on: January 10, 2009, 17:59:20 PM »
Hey Matt....just to fill you in over there mate, we played round 3 of the Black Country Poker Club last night.
  Once again it was a great night with some terrific poker played and, as seems the norm since we began this club, some amazing bad-beats.
   The first one came wheh we were down to 7 players after I had taken out Darren and Paul Melia in the same hand to give me about 14k of the 45k in play.
   Steve raised 600 UTG and Chris re-raised to 2000 on the button. I was on the sb and made it 5000 total with  :as:  kd
   Steve folds and Chris went into the tank before calling my 5k, leaving a pot of  almost 11k in the middle.
   As I had him well covered I moved all-in before seeing the flop to push the onus back onto him. The flop came  :3c:  4d   6h to miss me totally, but with Chris knowing that I could knock him out and with the places at the top of the League being so tight, once again he went into the tank.
   Eventually he called, insisting "I have played this awfully" and asking if I had eights or nines.  I was very shocked when he tabled   ac   qs to leave me an 85% favourite (more like 92% actually, as Steve told me that he had folded KQ ) but after a nine hit the turn, Chris rivered the  qh   to take a monster chip lead.
   I managed to fight back from that monsterous bad-beat to take out Steve and Marcel, with Razza finishing 4th despite not even turning up to play !!
   The dangerous Tony went out 3rd which meant that Chris and I were heads-up knowing that the winner would take the League lead on 31 points from Steve by virtue of having had a 1st and 2nd place.
   It was a very long duel, which lasted around 90 minutes as we both had a very similar chip-stack for most of the battle but three hands stood out.
   Firstly, dealer Steve dealt me a K face-up which prompted Chris to throw his Ace away and so the hand had to be re-dealt.....but we decided to see what would have happened anyway......and I would have had AQ on a Q-High flop.....to Chris"s AA !!!
   Then, about 75 minutes in, I folded  9h   td to Chris"s all-in shove on a
qd   jd   :3c:  board, reasoning  that I could have many dead outs and was probably already behind and also had enough chips left to up my aggression a little and win some back quickly......Chris showed  8h   9d  to leave me feeling pretty sick.....again !!  

Finally, we both got them all-in, much to the delight of the watching Club members still awake. The flop came  ac    td   5h   and with the  4s on the turn, Chris shoved all-in, but as he hadn"t raised pre-flop, I couldn"t put him on the ace and I had hit with my  
:3c:   5c
to give me 3rd pair AND a straight draw.  After much thought I called but was dismayed to see his
4c   5s for two-pair......but now it was my turn to get the break when the  
th
was dealt by Steve to give us BOTH two-pair and a split pot !!
  I managed to get ahead a couple of hands later and then, when Chris shoved all-in, I called with
9c   9d
and a crestfallen Chris showed
7s  6h.
 He had hope with a 6 on the flop but a 3rd 9 on the turn sealed his fate and so I had my first victory and move top of the League at the halfway stage of the season, though it"s still all to play for with that GCBPT seat awaiting the winner after week six .

POINTS AFTER WEEK THREE....
1ST.....BRIAN YATES...........31
2ND.....STEVE REDFERN........31
3RD.....TONY TRIPPIER.........30
4TH.....CHRIS BAKER............28
5TH.....PAUL FOY................25
6TH.....DARREN HOOPER.......15
7TH.....JAMES RASMUSSEN...10
8TH.....MARCEL FURET.........10
9TH.....MATT McKINLAY........9
10TH...PAUL MELIA...............7

Have a good flight back Matt and see you in February......and if anyone out there would like to join our club, feel free to e-mail me at BOINGBLITZ@BLUEYONDER.CO.UK for details......good standard, great fun, superb prizes !!

BOING BOING !!
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Ant1966

• Gold Member
Re: BLACK COUNTRY POKER CLUB WEEK THREE
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 18:51:54 PM »
I have e-mailed but no reply  :(

Can you post details Brian?
"That's when you know your'e running bad,when Ant one outers you on the river". Brendan Byrne-Dublin 2010.

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 20:11:35 PM »
Will get back to you asap Ant.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
3rd Pu

mattblue

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 04:47:39 AM »
thanks brain that was great m8 well done see u next month back tuesday night let me no date in feb cheers text or on here thanks again for the update woop woop keep right on till the end nice to see the ture brummie down bottom of league lol see u soon

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 00:31:28 AM »
2nd Friday as always Matt...13th Feb i believe......safe journey mate.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
3rd Pu

mattblue

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 13:47:05 PM »
cheers mate woop woop

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 13:52:55 PM »
nice report Bri (where was the in-depth report from the week I won? ;) )

One small thing you forgot to mention though.... the fact that the HU took over an hour and a half!!  Was actually quite funny to hear all the cheering every time either of you touched your chips, and the boos when you folded.

Well played though - you deserved the win on the night.  I"m just trying to figure out how I got to 11k chips in first two levels, only to find myself dwindling away and exiting before a no-show!  FFS - I was massive chip leader early on, then lost to an empty seat!!!!!

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 15:29:37 PM »
You members of that Brummie Poker Club.......you just don"t seem able to grasp this reading lark !!.....

"It was a very long duel, which lasted around 90 minutes"

And I DID do an in-depth report of week one......well I thought it was in-depth anyway !!

I was surprised that you lost your chips to a ghost too but thanks for the kind words on my win......I think that both Chris and I realised that whoever won would be top and that explained the long heads-up.
 I was angry with myself at December"s game because I played it SOOO badly when I got heads-up against Paul and was determined not to do the same again.
 By the way, I am ahead of you by virtue of the fact that I have a 2nd place as we both have a 1st, in case you were wondering.

Off the subject a little, I qualified for Ladbrokes $80 guarranteed, $100 rebuy last night (374 runners) for $30 and by the end of the first hour I had a healthy 8500 from a 2000 starting stack so took the 2000 add-on for $100.
 By the end of level 8, I was chip-leader from 174 with 23k and playing well with a tighter-than-usual image.
 Then this happened.
  I was in  800 BB with A-5 when the button raised to 2000, not for the first time either.  As I folded,I informed him that I was passing an Ace, only to then look down at
ad   :as:
on the next hand in the SB.
  Low and behold, he again raises to 2000 and I re-raise him to 4400, hoping he thought I was pulling a fast one on him as I was fed up !
  He calls and the flop of
kh    7h    6c  
looked pretty good to me.
I bet half the pot and he pushed all-in, which I called, only to be AMAZED as he showed
ah   6h
and of course, he hit the heart to put me down to 14k as he took a 52k pot and went into the chip lead !!
Now I do not normally get upset at such awful play but in a $100 rebuy tourney I was GOBSMACKED by his call.
I posted these details on Laddies forum and was told that the guy is a "Good, High-Stakes cash player", though my phrase for him was a little different !
 About 15 mins later he won a 60k pot with A-8 !!
 He went on to cash in 17th for $730 while I fought back but then went card-dead at the wrong time before going out 8 short of the money in 48th.
 Had I have won that pot, I am convinced that I would have had a great shot at the $20k 1st prize and even now, I cannot believe that someone would play so badly against a chip-leader in a big buy-in tourney like that.

I hope that Noble reads this I would be interested in his opinion.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
3rd Pu

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 16:17:06 PM »
looks pretty standard to me... but then I am a donk.

He did shove in first so felt that some hands in your range may fold (QQ, JJ and maybe TT) and was a slight favourite to beat those hands.

He was also probably happy to be a 5 to 4 dog to the others (AK, AA except maybe when 2 to 1 against KK?)

vul though
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 17:20:41 PM »
ok fair nuff - I"ll read a little closer next time ;)

Re your rogue hand - to be honest, having already invested in the pot, I think him leading in with bottom pair and the nut flush draw isn"t necessarily too bad a move. He was probably thinking that you might fold, but that if you did call and were ahead, he had a decent set of outs.... and of course if he were to hit one, he would put himself right into contention to win.  I think I would have shoved there also, but only if I thought I had enough equity to get you to fold any marginal holdings.

Also, you mention the buy-in, and I"m sure you only did that to put some perspective around the expected standard of play.... I"m sure you weren"t suggesting that someone should change their game because of the higher buy in.

Flop a nut flush draw and a pair against a player who admitted he was playing with a "tighter than usual image" - fairly standard shove I feel.

Noble?

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 15:51:20 PM »

ok fair nuff - I"ll read a little closer next time ;)

Re your rogue hand - to be honest, having already invested in the pot, I think him leading in with bottom pair and the nut flush draw isn"t necessarily too bad a move. He was probably thinking that you might fold, but that if you did call and were ahead, he had a decent set of outs.... and of course if he were to hit one, he would put himself right into contention to win.  I think I would have shoved there also, but only if I thought I had enough equity to get you to fold any marginal holdings.

Also, you mention the buy-in, and I"m sure you only did that to put some perspective around the expected standard of play.... I"m sure you weren"t suggesting that someone should change their game because of the higher buy in.

Flop a nut flush draw and a pair against a player who admitted he was playing with a "tighter than usual image" - fairly standard shove I feel.

Noble?
mmmmmmmm
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 16:51:03 PM »
His play AFTER the flop didn"t surprise me.....just his pre-flop thinking that I couldnt understand.....not when it put about 1/3rd of his stack in the middle with a hand that really cried out to see a flush draw but little else.
  I live and learn.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
3rd Pu

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 17:14:42 PM »
he was getting 3 to 1 on his call to see a flop which isn"t too bad a price, but then again commiting 1/3 of his stack with A6 sooooooooooooted does seem pretty spewy!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D