Author Topic: Gus Hansen's book.....  (Read 11971 times)

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
Re: Gus Hansen's book.....
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 21:55:49 PM »

He could have anything and could do anything at any time!!!!

But isn"t that the point??!   The art of poker is reading your opponent and being able to make an informed decision...... but if you can"t put your opponent on a hand, then you"re at a disadvantage and making decisions in the dark.

If we all just sit around waiting for AA, the game would be so boring and so very predicatable. Surely adding a bit of "Gus" to your game is essential to keep your game fresh, and to keep your opponents on their toes.

I agree AMRN- what I am trying to say is that Gus has a lot more equity in playing the way he does cos he"s renound for it. You or I will get called or raised when sometimes he will earn a fold.  Brian Townsend says later in the book that Gus never bluffs!!!

Am I making sense? I don"t think I"m expressing my argument very well
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 22:37:39 PM »
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 22:47:46 PM by LongshanksED »

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 22:45:19 PM »
I reckon I might have to give this another read ...

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 00:32:57 AM »

posting in a thread without reading it, tut tut!
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 02:09:44 AM »
That damn book ruined my life.

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 02:28:33 AM »

lol why?!?

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »

Commenting on a posting without reading it properly, tut tut!   ::)

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »

lol why?!?

I was on the greatest run of tournament wins in my life until I read that book and made some tactical changes.  I started losing, I started drinking, I got spotty, my wife left me, my house got repossessed and Eduardo broke his leg against Birmingham and Arsenal"s season fell apart.  I"ve still not recovered.

sopranoltd

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 12:30:34 PM »
I met Gus Hansen in an EPT event 2 yrs. ago , I am an above average backgammon player and thats how it started the conversation , after a while i asked him on his unorthodox style of playing poker and his reply to me was his reads on players comes after the flop but before the flop you have to do the math as in blackjack for the cards to hold up , didnt understand at first but after a while i had it down pact.

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 16:18:02 PM »

Commenting on a posting without reading it properly, tut tut!   ::)

Oh the irony!!!

lol why?!?

I was on the greatest run of tournament wins in my life until I read that book and made some tactical changes.  I started losing, I started drinking, I got spotty, my wife left me, my house got repossessed and Eduardo broke his leg against Birmingham and Arsenal"s season fell apart.  I"ve still not recovered.

oh rite then, ummm ouch, eh?

I say throw ur shoes at him at the next final table he starts bossing.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 17:26:04 PM »
Gus hansens style does so well because of the structure of the big tourneys that he plays.

For example i dont think you could have played his style at one of our regional events from last season. You would have dribbled all of your chips away in the first two or three levels. Similar to Daniels (kid poker) small ball style. You need a slow clock and big starting stack, so that you can use post flop skill over hoping to get delt good starting hands.

If you try gus or daniels style in a Online SNG, then your reslults will dramtically drop, trust me i know because i tried it out a few months ago. ABC poker is the only way to go with the faster tourneys.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 19:02:13 PM »

lol why?!?

Not all bad news then?  :D
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

bricko

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 20:07:55 PM »
I highly rated his book thought it was better than the others as it doesnt tell you how to play this hand that way and that hand this way, and his explanations are great when he makes plays that make you think hes a mad man

Helped me pick up a nice second place in a $24 full tilt MTT and my biggest win online so far

MAF

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
The book is very interesting and a great read.  I couldn"t put it down.

It"s wrong for people to suddenly expect overnight success by playing Gus"s way.  It"s taken him years to perfect (if that"s the right word).  Remember, he"s playing out of position almost all of the time which is much harder to do.

You will notice how many walks he gets.  He has built up this reputation of defending his blinds, and as a result, people just won"t bother trying to steal.  They"re just too scared to play him, because they know they"ll be outplayed.  What a great reputation to have!  :D

There is an interesting thread on 2+2 where Jimmy Fricke (Gobboboy) gives his account for some of the hands, particularly when they were HU.  You need to start from about post #133.  The thread does deteriorate unfortunately in true 2+2 style as people start trading insults.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/33/books-publications/every-hand-revealed-185983/
Twitter: @MAFPOKER

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »

If you try gus or daniels style in a Online SNG, then your reslults will dramtically drop, trust me i know because i tried it out a few months ago. ABC poker is the only way to go with the faster tourneys.

The Pokerstars Deepstack tournaments are slower than almost any other tournament on the planet - they might be a good place to experiment if you want to try and bring elements of these 2 styles into your play.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341