Author Topic: What have we got??  (Read 6857 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: What have we got??
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 14:23:55 PM »

The bet was fine.  But you"ve found out he likes his raggy ace, and so you have to fold.

If you don"t bet, and he does, you are still in the dark - and you might end up folding to a worse hand (e.g. QQ).  Your bet could also get a raggy ace to fold, as he reads you for AK (for example).

Of course, he could be making a move with air.  If that"s the case, nh wp.

I disagree.  I don"t think you gain anything by betting.

I certainly don"t think you take him off any A.  How many players will call a raise OOP with a raggy A only to chk/fold to a c-bet on an A-high flop?  I bet there"s not many.

I agree that by checking you do run the risk of folding to a worse hand, but exactly how often do we think this happens?  If he bets into the turn I"m not suggesting we just throw our hand away.  Unless he gives us a good reason to fold (e.g a bet of more than pot) I"d definitely be calling a bet on the turn as weaker hands might be seeing this as a chance to take it down.  Now if they then shove the river it does become difficult to call, but how often does a hand worse than top pair want to get all its chips in when its already met some (albeit very passive) resistance.  I"m not saying it doesn"t happen but I would guesstimate the amount it happens is similar to the amount of time you will be check-raised by a worse hand if you bet this flop.

In response to Swinebag, given that you"ve bet the flop then yes I think a fold is fine.  I think you"re behind more often than not and when you are, you have only 2 outs.  When you"re ahead he will probably have at least 5 outs (assuming he hasn"t done it on air) and more than likely has somewhere between 8 and 13 (-1 if you hold the Kc).

What do you do with AK or AQ on this flop?
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason