Author Topic: How to crack 3 Aces - and be called a fish  (Read 5395 times)

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
How to crack 3 Aces - and be called a fish
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:43:33 AM »
personally i dont think i did anything much wrong - thought i was getting decent odds through out the hand

1st hand of heads up SnG

***** Hand 1399485665 *****
15.00/30.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 09 January 2009 03:27:12
Holdem (Real /Tournament )
Seat 1: soilets (1500.00)
Seat 2: ShanksyED (1500.00)
soilets post SB 15.00
ShanksyED post BB 30.00
** Deal **
soilets [N/A, N/A]
ShanksyED [5c, 2s]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
soilets Raise to 60.00
ShanksyED Call 60.00
*** Flop(Board): *** : [7h, Ad, 4s]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
ShanksyED Check
soilets Bet 30.00
ShanksyED Call 30.00
*** Turn(Board): *** : [7h, Ad, 4s, Kc]
*** Bet Round 3 ***
ShanksyED Bet 90.00
soilets Call 90.00
*** River(Board): *** : [7h, Ad, 4s, Kc, 3d]
*** Bet Round 4 ***
ShanksyED Bet 270.00
soilets All-in 1320.00
ShanksyED All-in 1320.00
*** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 3000.00
soilets [As, Ac] Three of a kind, aces Win: 0.00
ShanksyED [5c, 2s] Straight to the five Win: 3000.00

pre flop with a min raise heads up, especially 1st hand, im gonna call as virtually no hand am i less than a 4/1 underdog (maybe this time i was)

on the flop a bet of 30 to call into a 120 pot - im less than a 5/1 to win the hand but with it still being the 1st level and small blinds im happy to call just to get a read on my opponent should it go to showdown

now i think my bluff on the turn probably earned me the chips as had i checked and he bet i would"ve probably folded - and if the villian re raised then i"d defo have folded - not worth commiting anymore on a gutshot and still have a workable stack

lucky card - 4 outer - on the river - and i have to bet out for value and im gonna call his all in with the straight every time - only fear is if the villian held 5-6 which could"ve accounted for his play through out the hand
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:59:11 AM by LongshanksED »

noble1

• Platinum Member
Re: How to crack 3 Aces - and be called a fish
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:15:29 AM »
Its ok,not much wrong here as played..imo
Its early so you can get a feel for how your opponent is playing,i wouldnt make it a habit to play these type of hands OOP,but every now and then to keep villains on there toes is ok.
I would not get to caught up with thinking about odds this early and deep,try to play the player rather than the cards from mostly in position..[play oop if player is weak post flop and folds a lot though on the flop or turn to small bets  ;D ]

here is a link with some pretty sound advice for you to digest,work on what works for you and what doesn"t so you develop your own style LongshanksED , review and replay all your games played every now and then..

http://www.totalgambler.com/pokertips/skillsandstrategy/3519/poker_endgame_stratgegy.html

Something else to get you thinking about your game,what i like about this article is that he encourages you to read and base decisions on yourself/image/actions and that of your opponents - http://www.pokerplayermagazine.co.uk/advancedplay/holdem/1739/playing_the_turn.html
ps - he"s not a bad player either ;D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wdYvb_LzKI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:09:48 AM by noble1 »

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 13:44:08 PM »
i dont mind the play as such, to experiment is important as long as you learn from your mistakes.
Villain has played his hand bad, but saying that when you lead the turn on a 4 of a kind suit board with no obvious draws it is a long shot with 4 outs, but if it does not hit you can get away from your hand easily,villain thinks he has the hand locked up and plays it cute.
It was pretty hidden  ;D the gutshot str8 , and i like the bet on the river,villain would not see that one coming lol lol  remember these type of plays when deep and you have
a good idea of your opponents,especially if they fold on the river a lot or have a tendency to slow play monsters.Just make sure you don"t make to many fancy dan moves though , keep it generally solid mixed up with the occasionally move to balance your solid play so that you"ll get some of your bigger hands paid off.. You need a bit of bluff semi bluff to your game but do not over use it ;D
i hope you noted villain for future games, it will interesting to see how he adjusts to you if at all lol lol  ;D he will probably just convince himself that it was a cooler or that you are a complete donkey, try to play him again , should be good  :)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 14:05:51 PM »
Villian played the flop very poorly. why did he min bet into 120 pot?

just out of curiosity if we r not putting an emphasis on pot odds early on when should we start? when antes kick or when our M is crappy or not at all
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 15:15:12 PM »

Villian played the flop very poorly. why did he min bet into 120 pot?

just out of curiosity if we r not putting an emphasis on pot odds early on when should we start? when antes kick or when our M is crappy or not at all

odds are important especially in cash/ring games and being well aware of them ..
i tend to dismiss them when i am deep and place more emphasis on playing the players/situations/board texture, if you play everything to the book or how everyone says you should play you wont ever learn to get a bit of creativity in your game...when it is do or die and your chasing ridiculous odds then fold etc etc
If you play someone who strictly sticks to all the rules they are very easy to exploit and take advantage of,they will get to predictable.

What i like about longshanksed play here is the lead on the turn [calling is spewy],it does not effect him much stack/chips wise,he could win with this bet if villain folds , if he is re-raised it is easy to get away from , if called and he bricks out on the river it is a easy check fold , if he hits his miracle card then that 90 chips on the turn has turned out to be worth all of villains stack  ;D  
calling at wrong odds is bad imo but leading into draws even longshot ones  ;D i will never criticize...
Players will find it tough to put you on a hand,if you get caught then when you do have it you"ll get more chance of getting paid off...
i like to see players experiment,it is the best way to learn what works what does not and as long as you review and learn imo you will improve and your knowledge / experiences of different type/style opponents and how to play them will get better.

The key is learn from what works and what does not....know the basics but try to think out of the box..

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 15:52:23 PM »
i usually try to play position and stack size in the tourneys/sngs i play in and use pot and implied odds once the flop has came down but if im min raised early in a tourny or cash im gonna call with virtually any hand as no 2 cards are much less than 4/1 underdog - different if we are nearing the end or im nearing my end and a min bet = a good percentage of my stack when im shortstacked - i could look for a better spot cause im not commiting myself with 5-2

again if im on a concealed flush draw even though im 4/1 to hit, the implied odds (if deepstacked) can make a call for a 3/4 pot sized bet a good move

as noble said - the turn bluff was only accounting for less than 10% of my stack and very easy to get away from

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 16:15:10 PM »
Just re-read and seen it was a HU SNG, please ignore my ramblings...

Except from the drinking part, i am expert in that field  :D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 17:02:12 PM »

Just re-read and seen it was a HU SNG, please ignore my ramblings...

Except from the drinking part, i am expert in that field  :D

QFT!!

:D
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason