Author Topic: Define "coin toss"  (Read 6784 times)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
Define "coin toss"
« on: January 09, 2009, 02:19:13 AM »
Probably the most overused phrase in poker. Define it.

At what % are we no longer in a coin toss? mathmatically 50.01%.... but practically and on a individual level what say you?

Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
Re: Define "coin toss"
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:12:40 AM »
i know what you mean by overused phrase but i find its far more overplayed

find too many a player all in with AQ or AK when they put their opponent on a pocket pair and are happy to take the 50/50 - especially in tourneys/sng"s that have a slow blind level, especially online

somehow online i find it hard to get away from AK or AQ if im 1st into the pot with it yet when i play live i can easily fold if i have a read on my opponent(s) many a time i"ve folded AK or AQ when i"ve open raised as it would knock over 1/2 or 2/3rds my stack early on in the tournament when my opponet shoves only to be shown 10-10 or 9-9 - yet the dealer rabbit holes the cards and i see i would"ve won

ive said time and again i"d rather call all in with JJ to 77 (depending on read on opponent) than call with AK or AQ pre flop

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:14:12 AM »
Anything upto 60/40 is a coin toss to me, you are basically taking the skill out of the game and going racing, losing at 60/40 cant be considered a bad beat so its a coin toss.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:37 AM »

Anything upto 60/40 is a coin toss to me, you are basically taking the skill out of the game and going racing, losing at 60/40 cant be considered a bad beat so its a coin toss.

this
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »

this

that
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »

this

that

And the next thing

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 10:30:18 AM »
I smile at players who call their entire stack on a coin flip early on in a tourney whilst still deep stacked. I"m always happy to shove my chips in knowing that if called I will be in a coin flip situiation, but only if I"m the raiser.... that way I have the edge over the odds..... the opponent may fold to the raise, and if he calls, I may win the race - that means I have two chances of winning the hand, where the caller only has one chance and that chance is only 50/50.

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
are you shoving with a pair or the A-K or both, early on 2 ways of winning. Also 2 ways of losing. Don"t think I"m shoving in deep stack early doors, not even with AA.

Anyway that"s tourney survival, back to coin toss, i"d say more 40-60 ;D ;D
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 13:41:13 PM »
oh im shoving AA, i"ll even put my house keys in the pot! the AA shove is a genius piece of work, it looks so wrong... oh it cant be... yeah it is... your QQ is dominated now.....bummer... take yer car keys off the keyring and bugger off.

oh look a Q on the river. "umm can I keep the furniture?" is normally my next comment.

Umm anyway... alot of 60/40er"s then!

EDIT: any1 happy with say 45/55 and consider this not a flip?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 14:13:53 PM by TopPair2Pair »

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 13:45:02 PM »

Umm anyway... alot of 60/40er"s then!

any1 happy with say 45/55 or this still a flip?

errrrr....LOL ???

I think if most people (myself included) are saying 60/40s are coinflips then 45/55s are even more so......

...aren"t they??
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 13:48:37 PM »
meant anyone else lol.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 13:52:24 PM »

I smile at players who call their entire stack on a coin flip early on in a tourney whilst still deep stacked. I"m always happy to shove my chips in knowing that if called I will be in a coin flip situiation, but only if I"m the raiser.... that way I have the edge over the odds..... the opponent may fold to the raise, and if he calls, I may win the race - that means I have two chances of winning the hand, where the caller only has one chance and that chance is only 50/50.

this ||||||||||||||||

and if you want to get good at mtts and continually get deep,my advice is learn to play the streets and the players and how to adjust to them and situations..
shove should be in your repertoire but try to do it as the favourite if its early on in mtts not as the the dog or you"ll find your bankroll getting short of funds  ;D

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »
60/40 is not a coin flip imo

It"s overcards vs pocket pair.

Personally I hate it when AQ comes up against KJ and it"s called a flip.

NO IT ISN"T!

Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »

60/40 is not a coin flip imo

It"s overcards vs pocket pair.

Personally I hate it when AQ comes up against KJ and it"s called a flip.

NO IT ISN"T!

A "proper" coin flip is 50/50 or maybe 45/55 at a push.  BUT, a 60/40 is still a coin toss of sorts.  Maybe one stacked in your favour, but there are still a hell of a lot of times the coin comes down the wrong way.   ac kc v  7d 5s for example... (which is even worse than 60/40).

I prefer the term "race" for 60/40 situations rather than coin-toss.  It"s not a coin-toss.  If a term is needed and we can"t just call it close or 60/40 - it"s more of a race, just one dude has to run 80 meters and the other dude has to run 120.