Author Topic: APAT UK Online Championship - Saturday 10th January 8pm - Discussion  (Read 89425 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: APAT UK Online Championship - Saturday 10th January 8pm - Discussion
« Reply #270 on: January 11, 2009, 11:35:35 AM »

I don"t think the structure needs touching. Anyone who had had their head screwed on had the opportunity to play a lot of proper poker before the shoving started and most tournaments will reach a stage where players are pressurised into committing anyway.

We"re talking about the severity of the change.  Antes help achieve this.  Why have they been introduced into the live Nationals?
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2009, 11:39:23 AM »
I didn"t mind the structure lastnight it allowed for plently of play early on but when it got to low M shove and fold I loved it.  As Kinboshi says there is still an art to this and it is very typical of final tables, luck plays a part but thats karma.

Saying that, I love antes and as Tom Dwan said on PAD the other night - a NLHE tourney is not a game without antes.

The reason we ended up with a FT full of low M"s was that play was not being forced and the stacks allowed the blinds to catch them up.  Antes will force the issue and should ensure a more natural NLHE game.  Antes have to be sized right though I was in another tourney lastnight where the antes got upto a 1/3 of the SB, 1/5 is usually suffice 1/4 max.
Rear of the year 1991
Pipe smoker of the year 1998

THEGUY84

• Silver Member
    • http://theguy84.blogspot.com/
« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
I would agree that the structure was great early on allowed for plenty of play.
Plenty of excitment for the first event of the year. I cant wait till the next one.
FNP,

Though I would give this blogging a shot!!
http://theguy84.blogspot.com/

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2009, 12:21:07 PM »
I think the structure does need tweaked in some way (same criticism for many online events) you get to the end and end up loosing with  ad ah vs a correct (given the format) kc jc push.

Given the stacks and structure it is a great play ... but with slower blinds you have to play it differently ... at the moment you play 4 hours and then have a gun fight at the end ...

It is annoying to have your aces cracked but it is always going to happen with the current structure. On a Saturday night I would be happier to have a final table with slower blinds. (Re-set the blinds at final table? - I believe this was done for an event which was online until the final table last year)

The best player would be more likely to win - very likely not me - but it would make for a more interesting challenge.

Well played to the medalists - I have a new nemisis - but I look forward to reversing roles in future events.

Louis

bigalhx3

• Gold Member
  • apat 7 card stud world champion & scott champ
« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
well played all and well done them that made the final table and i thought the winner played well he got lucky a couple of times but got his aces beat as well on the final table we all need a bit of luck to win these thing just when someone gets it on the final table its a big thing but all the people that made the final table will have had some luck somewhere in the tournament last night
on the binds from about 5 tables out most people had less then 10 big blinds which was a bit soon a couple more levels might help or 15 min binds but all in all another good apat hope to see you all in walsall

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2009, 19:52:05 PM »
All tourneys are won with a combination of skill and a big slice of luck. Anyone who tells you he has won a tournament without luck is a liar. If luck wasn"t a big part of the game the top players would win all the time. But they don"t.
So people slagging off fellow players when they got lucky is very poor form, just suck it in, don"t comment and play the next hand. We have all suffered bad beats, bad calls and horrendous rivers, but if you play this game you better get used to it!!
So I say to last nights winner, well played fella, I hope to play you in Walsall and the next online events, and hope that I might get lucky and win one of these fabulous APAT events later in the season.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #276 on: January 11, 2009, 23:01:06 PM »
... luck is of course a big factor but why make a structure that tips the weighting away from skill?

The event could easily start earlier or end later - there seems to be an unwritten code that everyone needs to get to bed for 1 a.m.

I think if you are playing face to face getting home is a pretty reasonable criteria, but if you are online what is the issue?

The tournament has a great structure for the first 2/3 hours but then becomes a gun fight.

Of course I know that before I start but if the idea of the APAT is perhaps to prepare people for the big time (perhaps it"s not) then a slower structure would be great. Stretch it two more hours or create the pace by adding in antes (which gives more incentive to steal from earlier positions).

I agree there is no point in bemoaning bad beats but less of these at a slower pace.

Louis