Author Topic: Hmmmmm  (Read 21897 times)

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
Re: Hmmmmm
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 19:14:09 PM »
Hypothetical situation:

You buy a lottery ticket for £1.

Agree to sell it to someone for £1 + 15% of any winnings...

No added value in this?

You"re being given the chance to participate and have the chance (no matter how slight) to win money without having to invest any of your own capital, and in the case of poker, time and skill...

I"ve got a seat to Walsall so not really minding what the outcome of this whole situation is right now. I just like debates...  :D
WCOAP 2009 Online Omaha Champion
WCOAP 2009 Online ME Final Tablist

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 19:18:46 PM »

Hypothetical situation:

No added value in this?

You"re being given the chance to participate and have the chance (no matter how slight) to win money without having to invest any of your own capital, and in the case of poker, time and skill...

I"ve got a seat to Walsall so not really minding what the outcome of this whole situation is right now. I just like debates...  :D

Nope, you bought for a pound and sold for a pound - the 15%"s not worth a jot today.  The actual added value you"ve received is in making someone very happy, as presumably this was the last lottery ticket in the country.

Question back to you.  Would you go out and buy something on the strength of the 15% you"d secured?

Pilf

• Bronze Member
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 19:20:57 PM »

PILF!!  Great to see you back.  You playing the live events this season?  

I"ll have a percentage of you... ;)

Alright Boshi, I"m hoping to play a few of the live events. I know I cant make Ireland :( due to a wedding but all the others are on my radar. I"m also gonna play the regionals on a Sunday night although am yet to post my colours to a mast so to speak.

And everyone will want a percentage of me......surely?!?

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 19:21:12 PM »

Hypothetical situation:

No added value in this?

Nope, you bought for a pound and sold for a pound - the 15%"s not worth a jot today.  The actual added value you"ve received is in making someone very happy, as presumably this was the last lottery ticket in the country.

Question back to you.  Would you go out and buy something on the strength of the 15% you"d secured?

Not if he had a percentage of me.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 19:28:50 PM »

Hypothetical situation:

No added value in this?

I don"t agree at all. I personally think there"s added value because you"re still in with a chance of winning something. Yes it"s worth diddly squat right now but it could be...

At the end of the day we"re all gamblers and love a punt - no matter how we justify our poker habbits to ourselves and the missus - at the end of the day poker is gambling (albeit with favourable odds). I"ll agree to disagree for the sake of peace though...   :D

STEVEFRYER

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 19:30:52 PM »
Crikey, don"t you lot go on?

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 19:31:44 PM »

At the end of the day we"re all gamblers and love a punt - no matter how we justify our poker habbits to ourselves and the missus - at the end of the day poker is gambling (albeit with favourable odds).

IE - I"ll take a free punt on a random horse if you"ll give me it...

Not sure that read exactly as it was meant..

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 20:57:40 PM »

Maybe we should look at changing the wording of the rule in question then.
  My final word on the subject

Don"t let it be your final word.  What would you propose the wording should be?

If we get to the point where we are all agreed that that the arrangements being discussed are OK, then the rule should read "No player may pay another player more than the advertised buy in price in exchange for a seat at an APAT national". I think there is a subtle difference between this and the existing rule and I think it permits the degree of flexibility we are now seeing. Not wishing to encourage too much more debate on the subject, but I"m open to constructive debate on this one (dives for cover).
  Besides which, I couldn"t care less whether Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth and the Devilfish buy seats and agree a percentage, I"m going to win the damned thing anyway.   ;D
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 21:03:44 PM »

Maybe we should look at changing the wording of the rule in question then.
  My final word on the subject

Don"t let it be your final word.  What would you propose the wording should be?

Did you have to ask ?

He"s already admitted to being a pain, now you really want his opinion.

I guarantee it will be poetic and rhyme.   ;D

Leigh, noooooooooooooooooooooo. You know what happened on my blog when I mentioned poetry. Yep that"s right, those relatives of mine who use this forum stopped taking their medication  and posted page after page of utter drivel. Please don"t encourage them.
  (having said that, I may soon attempt the impossible and write a poem which mentions a trip along the M6, a visit to Wolverhampton racetrack and 2 nights in a Holiday Inn in Walsall!)        
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 08:16:46 AM »

Imagine if Ian buys a seat with the promise of a percentage of his winnings... Trading Standards will be brought in.

(Only joking sir)

Sigh

Dingdell

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2009, 01:02:50 AM »
I have a seat and need a new car. I don"t think Stevefryer should be allowed to post an offer of his car plus £75 in exchange for a ticket without more info on the car. How can I make a decision as to whether to sell my ticket to him without knowing what colour the car is and if it"s got space for shopping and somewhere to put my handbag?  ???

BTW I want to play Walsall but if the cars a goodun I may be swayed.....

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2009, 04:00:19 AM »

I have a seat and need a new car. I don"t think Stevefryer should be allowed to post an offer of his car plus £75 in exchange for a ticket without more info on the car. How can I make a decision as to whether to sell my ticket to him without knowing what colour the car is and if it"s got space for shopping and somewhere to put my handbag?  ???

I"ve got an old Matchbox Fiat from 1990, it"s white with Italia "90 logo all over. It"s got a few miles on the clock but is in immaculate condition... What do you say?

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »

I"ll swap you my handbag for your car.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »

Where"s Noel and Keith when you need them.
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

Dingdell

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »

I"ve seen it and I don"t like it sorry - a silver clutch bag just isn"t me.... looks good on you though Kin.