Author Topic: Good or Bad Pass  (Read 4258 times)

stacks

Good or Bad Pass
« on: February 19, 2009, 14:45:37 PM »
Hi all,

Had this hand in a live tourny last night and would appreciate your comments -

5 Handed on the final table top 4 places paid -

Blinds 3,000 - 6,000

Im on the button with  kd 9d (Average stack)

All folded around to me and i raise 2x BB to 12,000

SB folds

BB calls (BB is chip leader although not by a long way)

Flop comes   :2c: 7s  4s

BB checks as do I

Turn  9c

BB insta raises all in!!!

So im asking call or fold??

I folded not sure if it was the right move but just though he had me beat.. He did show  9h but not his other card.

He had played a few hands before this in a similar fashion and showed the best hand each time.

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
Re: Good or Bad Pass
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 15:10:36 PM »
do u want to win or just make money
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

stacks

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 15:33:01 PM »
There were 2 other short stacks so I suppose my fold was hoping that these would be next to fall and therefore landing me in 3rd and in the money with an outside chance of taking it down.

I did in the end finish 3rd for £210 when i ran my  js  7c into Kings, oopps  ::)

The comp was so top heavy tho with £650 for first and £350 for second !!!

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 16:22:08 PM »
Bigger raise pre flop imo, bet flop, as played pass turn.

Not sure what the stack sizes are but 2 x raise to chip leader and checking the flop is just oozing weakness to me.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 16:29:31 PM »
depends on actual stack sizes but hate minraising and i pretty much snap call tbh.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 16:55:37 PM »
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 17:20:08 PM »
i love the min raise here, as i do everywhere else in any other position at any stage durng any tournement lol! (buts thats just my personal opinion!)

But seriously tho if you are min raising here what are you hoping for?

imo........ with K9s(5 handed) you either want the blinds fold or 1x caller.  We got a decentish scenario, flop is a great for a cbet and i think you have to cbet flop given our line.

So im asking call or fold??

Anyway. As per your actualy question regarding turn decision. Would be good to have add info on chip leader but the more I think about it the more 97 scares me where A9 doesn"t.

I call with a view to go broke or double up hoping we up against T~Q9.

The more experienced the player the more I call here. IF its someone newish to game then all in looks like a value bet for someone who doesn"t want to make any tough decisions with A9/97.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 17:21:55 PM by TopPair2Pair »
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 18:06:02 PM »
having put yourself in a pretty poor spot I think you have to bite the bullet and call here.

I really dont like the min-raise preflop into the chip leader - you"re almost guaranteed to see a flop - he just cant fold there no matter what his cards are.  When you end up with a piece of the board, it"s just too nitty to fold now.

bigger raise preflop for me - find out where you really are, and if you"re going to play the hand, be prepared to go all the way  if you hit the board...... otherwise, just fold preflop.

more aggression please :D

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 19:16:34 PM »
i hate mon raisng - just asking for trouble from BB - most players will call in the BB with almost any 2 cards - suited, connecteors, face etc etc as the 4/1 pot odds dictate it

local tourney i play in when ever i raise to 3 or 4 bb i get asked why such a big raise?

if i have to explain it to them then they shouldtn really be playing

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 22:45:49 PM »

it"s just too nitty to fold now.

Oh I new that.... but I also know I"m a nit    ;)
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 23:15:21 PM »

i hate mon raisng - just asking for trouble from BB - most players will call in the BB with almost any 2 cards - suited, connecteors, face etc etc as the 4/1 pot odds dictate it

local tourney i play in when ever i raise to 3 or 4 bb i get asked why such a big raise?

if i have to explain it to them then they shouldtn really be playing

Aha... this my friend is the beauty of the "mong raise" (no offence stacks-refering to myself! and my personal over usage of the min raise). Metagame at its peak imo!! (or maybe just my peak!! lol)

Opponents know educated players should be 3x raising, I know I should be x3~5 raising but yet i still persistently min raise left right centre up down and min raise the tournament director if he wants some too. lol. Fraudelence at its pinnacle!

Damn, there goes the game plan for my first live apat event out the window.
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 23:31:54 PM »
I have a philosophy -- not a good one -- but a valid one

ALL IN

pre or on the flop makes no difference

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 17:18:16 PM »
Hate the pre-flop raise....if you push all-in, you win the hand, if you run into a monster that"s poker. I doubt you got to 4th place by being timid so it isn"t really the time to go into your shell.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu