Author Topic: Your thoughts on JJ.  (Read 4054 times)

Danz0r

• Bronze Member
Your thoughts on JJ.
« on: January 30, 2009, 22:55:37 PM »
I really, really dislike this hand as it gets me in more trouble than its worth.

I read somewhere to treat it asif it is  8h 8s and since then, that has helped me get out of a few spots.

Do you think its just standard pocket pair play? Maybe a small raise, and a pop at continuation bet but fold if raised after?

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Your thoughts on JJ.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 23:18:49 PM »
I love getting pocket jacks. It is a premium hand after all. It does play poor post flop a lot of the time so early in a tournament I try to not overplay it pre or post flop. Pre flop, I"ll open raise in any position, raise it up in a limped pot, call a raise with it, but will rarely 3 bet a raise. If a raise is called and I am OOP then I proceed with caution as this is probably where I can lose big with this hand. Later on in a tourney, its a great hand to get it all in with....certainly better than 88!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Danz0r

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 23:21:40 PM »
Oh the injusice of this thread..

Just as I was typing the reply I got taken out of a tourney KK vs JJ lol, the J"s hit a set, sigh.

I agree at later stages of a tourney but early on when everyone is playing limp aces for even 5-10x BB they"re risky.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 00:36:28 AM »

I love getting pocket jacks. It is a premium hand after all. It does play poor post flop a lot of the time so early in a tournament I try to not overplay it pre or post flop. Pre flop, I"ll open raise in any position, raise it up in a limped pot, call a raise with it, but will rarely 3 bet a raise. If a raise is called and I am OOP then I proceed with caution as this is probably where I can lose big with this hand. Later on in a tourney, its a great hand to get it all in with....certainly better than 88!!

i agree with most but the 3bet part,if you are 40bb+ stack wise it is important to have
a wide 3bet range otherwise it will be easy for a decent opponent to put you on a hand..the rest is as usual based on your reads/position/stack size/how many players call etc etc

oneill1970

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:44:24 AM »
I view JJ as a high pair rather than a premium hand pre-flop.  Also you"ve got to be careful if somebody keeps raising against you.

When the flop comes down, for me it"s easy - either I have an overpair on a dry board or I have a set.  People will play Ax, Kx and Qx on a wing and a prayer, and there will be too many combinations out there.  If I don"t hit the flop, I"m looking for a reason to fold, or, on a wet board, looking for a read.

For me, this is a hand where you need to get out quickly if you are behind.  If you think you are ahead, then play accordingly.  I think people overthink this hand - simply put, its strength is truly defined on the flop.  Too many people stay in with nothing but hope...
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:03:24 AM »
i know that a lot of top pros out there say that jacks and 10s are two of the hardest hands to play, (daniel negreanu, hellmuth and Chann) will never re-raise pre with these hands,unless they are putting in 25% of their stack then they will push or maybe do the "stop and go" from one of the blinds. The truth is, when you and opponent are deepstacked, most of the time against a solid player you will be a slight favourite for a coin flip, and somtimes you will be in a world of sickness to an overpair.

Thats the reason why i like to flat a riase pre with 10s,JJ, and QQ. (unless you are putting about 20+% of total stack in, then you may aswell push) plus theres the added bonus of flopping a set and milking someone who cant get away from aces or kings.

If you are deepstacked and decide to re-raise with jj, they could put you all in and you now know that you are beat, so you will have to fold the worst hand, and maybe just priced your-self out of flopping the miracle set against someone who cant fold kk or aa.

Danz0r

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 13:40:43 PM »
Knocked out of DTD tourney with these badboys last night :|

JJ vs A10, ofc he found his ace.

See why I have a phobia?
:D