Author Topic: Would you have played these differently  (Read 3536 times)

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
Would you have played these differently
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »
out of 37 runners in local live £10 rebuy tourney its down to 13 players

i"ve hardly a hand all night and the playable ones i"ve had like poctet 10"s or AQsuited or suited connectors in the button became unplayable when faced by raises and re raises vefore the action gets to me (and i turns out everytime a good fold as i was well behind and wouldnt have sucked out on any pot). there is alot of donkey/gambling play goes on in these tourneys

at the break, i rebuy and addon so total spend is £30 and i have an average chip stack at 6k but only becasue i paid for it and not managed to play a hand (blinds still only 100/200 after the break)

managed to win 3 pots all night when playing resumed (all blind steals with air) and managed to double up when down to 3k when i opened with the bullets and was reraised all in with KQo (as i said alot of spewy play goes on) and i double up

so hand 1

13 players left 400/800 and i have 7k, UTG+1 and pocket queens

UTG makes it 2400 to go and i think hard, something tells me he has the bullets or kings and has a stack of well above 40k (average is 10k). i dont realy want to tangle but this is only the 2nd good hand i"ve had all night but my thinking is he could have AK/AQ or jacks - so i think for a few minutes, saying i think im behind but i cant let this hand go and take the chance and push at which point UTG starts counting chips - i know im behind now

but as it folds round the BB pushes all in with 20k - UTG insta calls

BB AK suited
UTG AA
me QQ

board come down XXX X Q - i survive by my teeth and treble up to 21k and BB is eliminated by UTG

at which point i say and ask the table - thanks, i got lucky there but i would never have pushed all in with AK after a raise and re raise, especially after i went all in he (pointing to UTG player) started to count out his chips. to me thats asking for trouble

at which point the entire table (except UTG) says the"yd have done the same and pushed. i reply he had a 20k stack and didnt need to go looking for a fight - he couldve sat still and coasted to the final table

hand 2

final table down to 7 players top 4 get paid

im down to 12k and blinds at 3000/1500 and im in the SB

BB has 15k and is a decent player and been talking to him most of the night about poker subjects (books, tv shows etc but nothing on strategy or odds) and seems able to fold average hands when faced with aggresion pre flop (small pairs, A10/AJ/KQs etc)

so its folded to me in the SB and i have 25o great

now i cant call as i"d only have 9k left and not much to play with, i could give him a walk and hopefully get a chance to steal the next blind or 2 but with 9k and most stacks at 25k the BB would get great odds to call

i decide to try and steal anyone due to prior knowledge of his play and know he wont call unless he has a decent hand - and he does in JJ

balls but flop comes 234 - giving me alot more outs but it doesnt come and i go out and which point the table says - you wont go all in with AK but you"ll try to steal with 25o

i turn and walk away without saying a word but i think both my actions and comments were justified - i had good idea about the BB"s range in the 2nd hand and know he couldnt call with anything but a premium hand as his tourney would be at risk too leaving him just 3k (1BB)

comments.....

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Would you have played these differently
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 15:00:08 PM »

the table says - you wont go all in with AK but you"ll try to steal with 25o

Then the table clearly doesn"t understand the Gap Concept. Calling for all your chips with AK is a dodgy move at the best of times, but with all that action before it gets to you, and probably going into a 3 way show down, it"s a horrendously bad call.

You SB shove with 52o is the perfect move - if called, you will always have live cards! Most of the time the BB will fold and you will pickup 4500 chips which is more than a third of your stack. Proper move, proper poker!

It takes a far better hand to call with than to raise with!!

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 15:43:21 PM »
Pretty decent play in my book. I play in a similar live tourney with a wide range of abilities from novices to pretty good players, god its hard work!! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

baldaceguy

• Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 16:36:06 PM »
totally agree no option but to steal from here

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 20:04:27 PM »
thanks for the input - the player with JJ in the 2nd hand said he would have done exactly the same if roles were reveresed - i was begging that someone would at least call pre flop then i could"ve just slid out and hoped to try and steal the next blinds

and ironicly (sp) enough it was the gap concept i kept thining of when i was playing my hands earlier that i couldnt call a reraise with my better hands - when the guy with AK was knocked out i asked "after a 3 or 4X raise from UTG and re raise from UTG+1 what would be the minimum hand you could call with?" no-one seemed to understand why i asked that question so i tried to explain and also said that if i was in the BB with QQ and UTG raised and UTG+1 re raised i would only be going forward with aces or maybe kings if i was a huge chip stack in relation to the other players in the hand, example i had 40k to their 10k"s

*makes straight over head motion with hand*

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 22:44:42 PM »
Its probably best not to talk poker with these folk and discuss play with them! lol...
If you do maybe best to add a pinch of salt with a few red harrings to understand players better.

at the end of the day its not going to benefit you in anway as they dont seem the academic poker sort! lol.. Sometimes just becos the majority all agree something doesn"t meant they are right and u just need to silently know they know nowt and capitlise.
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 21:40:44 PM »
Shanksy, you are your own worst enemy.

Discussing strategy at a table does 2 things

1. tells good players how you play so they can use the info against you

2. helps poor players improve their game and makes it harder for you to beat them.

You played both hands perfectly. You just didn"t get the correct result. Let these players think what they want.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 17:22:20 PM »
Rob has just written EXACTLY what I was going to say !!
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu