Author Topic: Your views on Rebuy tournaments  (Read 11577 times)

Danz0r

• Bronze Member
Re: Your views on Rebuy tournaments
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 19:12:17 PM »
Sure, but again I said this wasn"t about me..

I just wanted a general overview of peoples feelings about them, sigh.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 19:19:33 PM »

Sure, but again I said this wasn"t about me..

I just wanted a general overview of peoples feelings about them, sigh.

OK.

If you"re playing a rebuy, consider 10 rebuys as a guide, and if that"s too much for you, don"t play - or look to get lucky and not have to rebuy.

There is a skill to rebuys, and it"s different to a freezeout.  Obviously, after the rebuy period it"s exactly the same as a freezeout.  During the rebuy period, what is wrong with someone calling all-in pre-flop with J7o?  They aren"t going to be a huge underdog to any other hand (no hand is that big a dog against one other preflop),and they are looking to double up or rebuy. 

Yes, it favours those with larger wallets - but so do freezeouts.  If someone is playing a £100 freezeout and has millions in his bank account - he isn"t going to be too bothered if he gets knocked out and loses his buy-in. 

The satellite is a $5 rebuy.  Ten rebuys is £35.  Is that too excessive?  The more who take multiple rebuys, the more seats there are on offer. 

People don"t have to play it.  They can win a seat in the freezeouts, or via the clickfest.  It"s another option for those that want to take it up.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 19:30:24 PM »
I always line up with 3 buy ins - the first entry, one rebuy, and an add on. I certainly never go crazy and use as many as 10 buy ins - I prefer to play the other side of the equation and take advantage of those who do.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 19:32:43 PM »

I always line up with 3 buy ins - the first entry, one rebuy, and an add on. I certainly never go crazy and use as many as 10 buy ins - I prefer to play the other side of the equation and take advantage of those who do.

I"d say you"re limiting your long-term EV.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 19:34:15 PM »

I"d say you"re limiting your long-term loss.

FYP

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 19:35:39 PM »

I"d say you"re limiting your long-term EV.

Or taking advantage of your reckless play Dan.   ;D

(I do agree with your thoughts on this subject though.  It"s cemented in my mind)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 19:37:12 PM »

FYP

Seriously though, how often do you go into the freezeout period with a significantly smaller stack than many other players?

I used to go for the minimum expense route - and all too often found I was hamstrung come the freezeout period.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 19:42:10 PM »

FYP

Seriously though, how often do you go into the freezeout period with a significantly smaller stack than many other players?

I used to go for the minimum expense route - and all too often found I was hamstrung come the freezeout period.

Rarely. I just wait for the big hands and play them fast looking for a double or treble up..... if I lose, I"m out and go to the cash tables. 

In the last APAT round of satellites, I took a double buy in, and turned the 5000 chips into 29k at the end of the rebuy period and was chip leader. If my 45o (massive hand) had not held up so well early on, I would have left (ok probably not in an APAT sat rather than a standard cash sat - of course I would have chased the buyins)

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 19:44:49 PM »
I think if you don"t like rebuys- don"t play them.

People seem to dislike them a lot but surely poker is about variety- if you could ONLY choose from tourney freezeouts the game could get pretty boring.

As someone who has spent over 400 quid in a 10 pound rebuy and a lot more in number 20 rebuys tonight could be interesting.....
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 20:08:10 PM »

did anybody else here the daniel negreanu rebuy story from the wsop from a few years ago......

apparantly he went bust and re-buyed a total of somthing like 27 times....but as soon as the re-buy period ended, he started playing properly,

( he had set the whole table up into thinking he was playing lke a maniac).

His table had more chips than any other table and he goes onto hit a few monster hands, and of course they start calling him down very lightly. He builds up a monster stack and goes on to comming 3rd overall.....he makes $70,000 profit, evan though he had to buy in 27 times.....

Now that is one of the best players thinking on another level.

This was in 2004.

I was at the WSOP in 2006 when he had 48 rebuys. I spoke to a guy sat at his table and he was happy as Daniel was all-in blind every hand for a period and he built a nice stack, got moved to another table and then cashed. Daniel busted out before the money.

Daniel is part of the WSOP players advisory committee and has supported the removal of rebuy events.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 21:42:28 PM »

FYP

Rarely. I just wait for the big hands and play them fast looking for a double or treble up..... if I lose, I"m out and go to the cash tables. 

In the last APAT round of satellites, I took a double buy in, and turned the 5000 chips into 29k at the end of the rebuy period and was chip leader. If my 45o (massive hand) had not held up so well early on, I would have left (ok probably not in an APAT sat rather than a standard cash sat - of course I would have chased the buyins)

Generally I play rebuys with the registration, scope for one rebuy and the add on.

If I make it to the freezeout period I generally have within 10-15% of the average stack (above or below)

If you budget for 10 rebuys you might reach the freezeout period more often -but if you budget for a few you make more money when you do.

I think rebuys promote poor play that"s why I don"t like them. You might be able to call all in with J7os cards because you"re not likely to be that much of a dog and you can always just rebuy - doesn"t make it good poker though.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 22:02:58 PM »
hear hear!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 23:23:59 PM »
I think they"re great ;D See you in Cardiff. :D :D
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 23:33:17 PM »

+1

Best poker invention since the pokerchip.

See you in Cardiff.   :D  :D

mike saban

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 00:04:15 AM »

+1

Best poker invention since the pokerchip.

See you in Cardiff.   :D  :D

+2

Super Smashing Great, Rebuys FTW IMO.

Lock up your sheep, see you in Cardiff  :)